Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
S/o sukka at night, who puts up your sukkah?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 9:54 am
So, who puts up your sukkah?

When we lived in the states, we only had a sukkah twice, the first one, my brother put it together for us. My dh is not very handy. The other time, I kind of put it together because we made sukkos by my parents house while they were away with one of my brothers in Israel for his bar mitzvah. Their sukkah is very easy to put up because all I had to do was hang fabric up and that's kind of my forte. That was a really nice sukkos now that I'm thinking about it. My younger siblings were there, so it was nice for us and easier on my parents.

Since living here we've gone to our shuls sukkah until we started going away. The away is someplace private and a handyman that works there put it together. I decorated Smile . A few years ago, he made a beautiful structure that is permanent with a table. He works with metal, so it just gets a fabric around it and last year we got a clear plastic and it looks really cool. There's also a permanent table that the guy built and my husband showed me that he fixed the table because it was cement and coming apart a little on the tabletop. He designed it with pieces of tile. A maagen david and all over or part of it. I'll see it next week when we go. If anyone wants to come, you're more than welcome. Plenty of room Smile !!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 9:57 am
my dh. he's very handy and enjoys building things.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 9:58 am
And my ds is working by putting up other peoples sukkos in Brooklyn Smile .

cm

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 10:10 am
Mostly me.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 10:48 am
Dh says he will every year and I end up putting it up Erev Yom tov.

This year he started early and I haven't had to do a thing yet. Yay!! I still get to decorate.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:20 am
we'd probably get a worker

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:56 am
My dh and sons put up ours and the girls decorate it.

I would love to see a picture of your sukkah, it sounds so interesting!

pause

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:04 pm
It's always been DH's domain. After all, it's his chiyuv. I do enjoy decorating.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:43 pm
Me most likely. Unless ex-dh wants to put it up for us. I certainly asked him lol.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:19 pm
My DH and sons put it together. My boys started doing it on their own a couple of years ago and just ask DH for his approval. DH takes care of the technical stuff like electricity , lighting etc. DH taught them how to build and fix things since they were around age 10.

From when I was age 12 , my mother and I built the sukkah together since my parents divorced when I was 11. Mind you I had an older brother but for some reason us to females were the ones that ended up building it year after year. So in a pinch , I could build one as well.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 6:19 pm
Myself and my husband together.
Even growing up, it was a whole family affair. It was lots of fun.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 10:38 pm
Me! I love building and working with my hands and dh wouldn't know a hammer right side up. It works for us.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:00 am
Notsobusy wrote:
I would love to see a picture of your sukkah, it sounds so interesting!

If you were talking about me. I don't mind sending you a picture, but I don't like posting pictures here because it's a pain. If you REALLY want, you can send me through a pm your whatsapp number or email. I wouldn't be able to do it until next week though because we're not there yet. We're leaving motzei shabbos iy'h. I do have one picture somewhere but not the new table or at least not the whole thing. It's probably really nice because this guy is really talented.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:04 am
DH is in charge, but it's a family project, and I could totally take it on if he couldn't for some reason.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:19 am
We have a built in sukkah which DH built. He gets to start playing with his pump weeks before. He and our oldest love testing and re-testing, and they put up the decorations.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:45 am
Handyman. DH can't do anything more involved than changing a lightbulb. I used to do it myself when we were first married and had a tiny one. But now our sukkah, B"H, is huge and I really can't manage it.

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 3:20 pm
Mu DH used to do it but since he's been ill he can't do much physically. So DD, 19 and I did it together this year. Next year I hope to live someplace where we can hire bochurim or someone to put it up for us. It's a lot of work.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 3:46 pm
We had a pre fab sukkah and DH would get a friend to help him put it up. This past year we moved and have a small deck. The wood slats needed to be replaced for safety so we made it into a sukkah deck while we were at it. I missed the wood sukkah of my childhood so this is fun!

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 3:56 pm
From aged 10 till 20 I did it. No brothers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics