Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Does it irk you? BP parking and neighbor with driveway

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 11:37 pm
If you know what parking in BP looks like.....

Does it bother you if a neighbor with a driveway takes up a street spot?

I know they can technically park where they want but it’s so annoying to circle for parking and see their car taking up a spot...

Am I wrong to feel that it’s a lack of consideration?

rdmom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:18 am
Nope. It would irk me too. It does irk me but it happens on my block all the time.

I actually have a neighbor who is the nicest guy. Takes up a parking spot when he has a driveway and tells ppl to call him if they need a spot so he can pull in and give you his spot. Actually have a few neighbors like that.

And then we have one neighbor with a driveway but never uses it. And they have a really big pickup truck. That is really annoying

amother
Red

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:27 am
It bothers me but guess what? it's part of living in Brooklyn it's either a pump or driveway, there's no parking spots in this place. My grandmother always says that the streets of Boro Park on me for horse and buggy that's it. My great great grandparents lived in Boro Park before your grandparents came to USA. They remember farms. Maybe we should go back to that? Or you will have a cow?

Simchas yom tov. Your (not mines) grandparents came here after World war two to rebuild and not to fight. Every yellow bus and every garbage truck that causes traffic is a נקמה in Hitler and you know that. So let's chill about sukkas and pumps and driveways.....

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:34 am
How about neighbors, who deliberately park in a way that takes up two spots, so they save a spot for their second car . . . ?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:11 am
amother wrote:
How about neighbors, who deliberately park in a way that takes up two spots, so they save a spot for their second car . . . ?

Or take up 2 spots just because they can't be bothered to pull up or back just a little.
When I see that kind if thing it really bothers me. I tell myself "I do not send that guy good karma". In a trivial way, it makes me feel a little more in control of a situation that I otherwise can't control.

mom39

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 8:50 am
I once had a dr appt near maimonides. Needless to say I was driving around and around and couldn't find a spot. I was getting quite nervous bec it was getting late. I finally found something a few blocks away and a lady was standing in the street. When I asked her to move she said she was saving the spot for her husband who was coming soon.I was furious!! Are you allowed to do that?

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 8:52 am
mom39 wrote:
I once had a dr appt near maimonides. Needless to say I was driving around and around and couldn't find a spot. I was getting quite nervous bec it was getting late. I finally found something a few blocks away and a lady was standing in the street. When I asked her to move she said she was saving the spot for her husband who was coming soon.I was furious!! Are you allowed to do that?

As far as I know.. blocking the spot with your person or lawn chairs or garbages cans is completely illegal.. yet so many ppl do things like that after they've had to dig the car out of the snow
Which I understand bc I worked hard to free this spot. ...but it's still illegal

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 9:04 am
I live in Flatbush and have a shared driveway. It’s also extremely narrow and cars park very close to it. Also due to the narrowness we have to block the sidewalk to take the kids in and out of the car. Therefore we try to park on the street as often as possible. Unfortunately unless you have a wide driveway that the reality in Brooklyn.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 9:17 am
I bet she's interested in renting out her driveway

My dad worked in the heart of BP for decades and rented out someone's driveway

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 9:47 am
mom39 wrote:

illegal. someone once did that to us, and I told her it's not yours to hold, then a non jew got involved for whatever reason and sided with them, eventually I gave up, but she caused such a chillul Hashem.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 9:48 am
amother wrote:

I know they can technically park where they want but it’s so annoying to circle for parking and see their car taking up a spot...

It should be illegal to buy or rent a house without parking space. Since it's not, no you can't expect people not to take street parking even if they have a driveway. Sometimes there are reasons people park on the street even if they have a driveway.

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Or take up 2 spots just because they can't be bothered to pull up or back just a little.
When I see that kind if thing it really bothers me. I tell myself "I do not send that guy good karma". In a trivial way, it makes me feel a little more in control of a situation that I otherwise can't control.

No, they are taking two spots because they own a driveway and understand that if you squish two cars into the spot, the ppl whose driveway you are near will not be able to pull in or out. And the person who owns a driveway and parks on the street does exactly that because of the two person squish on the road. Do you know how impossible it is to get in/ out of your driveway when there is zero leeway!

ETA: Try living in my neighborhood that doesn't have alternate sides and where some people park their antique cars for decades on the street. Now that is annoying.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:10 pm
Or maybe their neighbor built a sukkah in the driveway and now they can't park there. Or maybe the neighbor doesn't let them park in the driveway because he wants it for his kids to play in on shabbos and yom tov (both true)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:23 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I bet she's interested in renting out her driveway

My dad worked in the heart of BP for decades and rented out someone's driveway

Are you referring to me?
I’m the op.
Please reread my post.
And please read entire posts before responding.
I actually do not have a driveway.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:17 pm
When I first moved to a house with a driveway it was very hard to get out with the little kids. The way it was situated, street parking was much easier. So I parked in the street until I came home to an anonymous note on my windshield yelling at me for taking up a street space that a neighbor without a driveway could be using. After that I parked in the driveway and dealt with all the inconveniences of it. Until we moved. I wish the neighbor had come to talk to me directly. Maybe I would have offered my driveway to him/her Smile

Esty4

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:

Don’t judge because he might have a legitimate reason why he parks in the street. I have a drvwy but I park on street when theres a spot for a few reasons, because my next door neighbors daughter who drives and goes into the attached drvwy is a terrible driver and can scratch up my car when it’s in the drvwy and also the drvwy is sloped which if you work that way it ruins your transmission.

Esty4

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:

Not good to take nekama. Try to let it go.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Are you referring to me?
I’m the op.
Please reread my post.
And please read entire posts before responding.
I actually do not have a driveway.

No. I'm referring to your neighbor. Perhaps your neighbor is trying to rent out her driveway (and maybe that's why she's not using it)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette