Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
New toddler shoes on chol hamoed? He really needs

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Sep 25 2018, 11:12 pm
I will ask my Rav tomorrow, but I wanted to know if anyone has asked about this previously... my 18-month-old outgrew his shoes, and they're getting impossible to get on him. We have been walking around with him in the stroller, but at times we need him to walk--so he needs shoes. Are we allowed to buy him new shoes on Chol Hamoed?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 25 2018, 11:17 pm
My understanding is that if something is needed for the moed or for Yom tov you can buy it.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Sep 25 2018, 11:43 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My understanding is that if something is needed for the moed or for Yom tov you can buy it.

I thought so too, but I remember learning that it's different with clothing... halacha teacher in high school told us that if you accidentally buy new clothing on chol hamoed, you're not allowed to wear it even after yom tov.

lucky14

Post Tue, Sep 25 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
I thought so too, but I remember learning that it's different with clothing... halacha teacher in high school told us that if you accidentally buy new clothing on chol hamoed, you're not allowed to wear it even after yom tov.

this isn't a style thing though. This is for comfort - your child shouldn't be in pain. Especially a new walker should have shoes that fit!

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 12:58 am
amother wrote:

And my rav holds that given the choice, it's better to buy clothes on chol hamoed ti have enough than do laundry. And yes, this sounds functional.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 7:41 am
amother wrote:

What if the weather changes and the person needs a raincoat? People often travel on Yom tov and don't expect bad weather or something that they need gets wet or dirty. Children who are of the age where their clothes are constantly being soiled can have their laundry washed so why would the child be forced to wear shoes that don't fit?

My understanding is that chol ha moed should not be treated like an ordinary day with shopping and buying but if the holiday will be miserable or unhappy if something is missing, it can be purchased. If there is an alternative to buying, such as borrowing, that might be better. Obviously it's better to prepare as much as possible in advance.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 8:39 am
I looked it up and it appears to be dependent on the practices of whatever community you follow. In some communities, everything shuts down and only food stores and doctor offices are open and no purchases are made.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 2:24 pm
I understand that even a ovel can purchase shoes during the shloshim if he or she needs them . Kal vechomer a baby !!!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 3:10 pm
I would buy cheap ones because anything I ever bought on chol hamoed, except food and paper goods, broke. Literally. I'm traumatized. I will bli neder not buy anything on chol hamoed. Unless it's an emergency.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 4:00 pm
An ad for a Monsey hosiery store said open on chol hamoed for Yom tov purchases only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions