Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Questions about Shabbos candles

Geulanow

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 2:04 pm
My daughter wanted to know if scented or colored candles are allowed for Shabbos or yomtov candles? Does anyone here know?

veganesther

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:06 pm
I have never even thought about using candles other than the ones in the boxes designated for shabbat.
shabbat candles are for blessing and illuminating. they have to be kosher, not made from animal fat.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:26 pm
Geulanow wrote:
My daughter wanted to know if scented or colored candles are allowed for Shabbos or yomtov candles? Does anyone here know?

I've seen colored candles and oils for Shabbat, but have never used them.

mfb

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 4:32 pm
im not sure if its not allowed but I think one reason people use white candles is because white represents purity

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 4:38 pm
veganesther wrote:
I have never even thought about using candles other than the ones in the boxes designated for shabbat.
shabbat candles are for blessing and illuminating. they have to be kosher, not made from animal fat.
Please explain? I never heard that before.

All I know is that I light three candles. Two are in my actual candle holders and the third is a tea light. The tea lights that we buy, in Israel, are sometimes the scented ones. Why would we think that they are made of animal fat? It gives the shabbat light a beautiful smell as well. I never thought there was anything wrong with that.
I know people who use colored oil to light on shabbat.

veganesther

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 8:46 pm
I live in exile in the USA. candles manufactured in China that do not specify kosher can be made from animal fat.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 8:53 pm
I have never heard of using scented candles for shabbos although I dont see why not. The thing is to light candles..any candles I guess (although maybe if you can get regular white shabbos ones its best to use those) but about the white pure thing...well the shabbos candles my parents used to by were cream colored so......and they were sold in a shabbos candle box (said on it).
I have seen people use colored parafin for those who light parafin candles...we used it at home once for friday night after purim. looks cool Smile

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 11:10 pm
http://www.askmoses.com/en/art......html

sunflower_seed

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 4:50 am
I once asked a Rav and he said no problem to light coloured, scented candles for shabbos:)

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 9:00 pm
https://kulam.org/en/a/176

According to this site scented candles are ok to use

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:22 am
could be some people find scented candles annoying so unscented are just easier. When we moved we needed tea lights and a Jewish neighbor brought over scented tea lights so we used them.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:58 am
So curious why this thread was revived after seven years...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions