Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Feeding a toddler

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 10:59 pm
I'm concerned about my son's weight gain, and I want to be more on top of making sure that he eats enough every day. He eats a big variety of foods, but he just won't eat a lot of it. His ideal is being offered 10 foods to choose from, and he'll eat a little bit of each until he gets bored and moves on to the next thing. As a full-time working mother, I do not have the time to prepare or feed him 10 different options. He's still going to a babysitter during the day, not in school yet.

I guess what I'm asking is twofold:
1) please post some meal plans that you have for your young toddler (under 2) - include meals and snacks
2) how can I ensure that my son is eating enough?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 11:06 pm
1: is your doctor concerned?
2: I (also full time working mom) give my toddler what I eat. I don't cook special food for her. She learns to eat a wide palate. If she doesn't, she's hungry. She usually eats it

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 11:11 pm
pesek zman wrote:
1: is your doctor concerned?
2: I (also full time working mom) give my toddler what I eat. I don't cook special food for her. She learns to eat a wide palate. If she doesn't, she's hungry. She usually eats it

He only sees the doctor every 3-6 months. By his 15 month visit, he hadn't gained. By his 18 month visit, he had gained more. Now I'm pretty sure he lost weight again. He seems to fluctuate back and forth. The doctor was obviously not concerned because he had gained. I'm worried that he's going to lose it again.

I think that one of my son's problems is that he grazes a lot. He's often fed when out of his high chair, which results in incomplete eating as opposed to meals. That's why he won't always eat even when he's still hungry. He ends up really cranky.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
He only sees the doctor every 3-6 months. By his 15 month visit, he hadn't gained. By his 18 month visit, he had gained more. Now I'm pretty sure he lost weight again. He seems to fluctuate back and forth. The doctor was obviously not concerned because he had gained. I'm worried that he's going to lose it again.

I think that one of my son's problems is that he grazes a lot. He's often fed when out of his high chair, which results in incomplete eating as opposed to meals. That's why he won't always eat even when he's still hungry. He ends up really cranky.

Why is he fed outside of his high chair?

(I'm pretty strict. Meals and snacks are always at the table. Shabbos morning is the exception)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:06 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Why is he fed outside of his high chair?

(I'm pretty strict. Meals and snacks are always at the table. Shabbos morning is the exception)

Because of our schedule, we have been around in many places, and it's hard to ask people who are doing you favors to make sure not to feed him except at mealtime.

teachkids

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:40 pm
Is he the kind of kid who would sit and listen to a book while he eats? Or play silly games with you to distract him and keep him in his high chair?

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:40 pm
The only thing that helped me was to read my son books, play a video for him, or to distract him with stickers. (I ordered a bunch from aliexpress ) and he loves to stick them on papers while he eats.
He still doesn’t eat a lot,
I give him scrambled eggs with cheese
Cream cheese bread, peanut butter bread. Cheese latkes, yogurt....
When he doesn’t want to eat anything I give him ice cream or chcolate, as per my doctors advice.

mrs me

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:04 pm
My toddler thinks it's more fun to turn her head and say no instead of opening her mouth when I feed her- but when I distract her she eats like a real champ. I put her favorite books or toys on her high chair tray, put on kids songs, sing to her, give her a crayon and paper, and while she's busy she opens her mouth beautifully when I try spoon feeding her. More recently, I put some food on her tray and give her a spoon or fork and she gets busy trying to do it herself while I sneak food in her mouth.

Some meals: (typing them as I think of them- not listed in order of breakfast/lunch/dinner or divided into groups...)
Scrambled eggs w/ whole grain noodles
Pizza and a veggie on the side
Baked ziti
While grain noodles and whole fat cottage cheese
Whole milk yogurt and pancakes
Fish sticks and avocado
Meatballs and rice
Chicken and rice/potatoes
Pb sandwich
Cream cheese sandwich
Oatmeal made while whole milk and fruit
Chicken soup w/ the veggies and matzah ball
Cheerios and milk
Potato kugel and a protein

I try to add a fruit and/or veggie to these meals- sometimes cooked and sometimes fresh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics