Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do your kids like?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 2:19 pm
Hey all! I’m a ya (young adult) author starting a new serial and I’d love to hear from you.
What do your kids love to read?
What would you love to see more of?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:40 pm
jewish fantasy/sci-fi? There aren't many of those, and lots of kids today are desperate for them.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 4:15 pm
Jewish fiction books geared towards boys (age range 8-15 approx), action/mystery type storylines

Not much out there for boys honestly

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:37 pm
My kids like historical fiction with some drama and excitement... like the I Survived series.

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:43 pm
My girls like real life problems with girl-type drama. But not too cheesy or babyish.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:21 pm
Do any of you see a major sci fi idea lik Harry Potter ever working in the frum world? Like where the whole book is literally taking place in another world. Or the Hunger Games. Or a Wrinkle in Time (one of my faves as a kid)

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:21 pm
I guess I’m asking if fantasy could ever work?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
Do any of you see a major sci fi idea lik Harry Potter ever working in the frum world? Like where the whole book is literally taking place in another world. Or the Hunger Games. Or a Wrinkle in Time (one of my faves as a kid)

Yes. Devora Dorash meets Dr Who.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:

I wrote a post/musing/rant about this on imamother years ago....

Why there will never be good frum sci-fi/fantasy

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Oct 03 2018, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:35 pm
What age do you want to focus on??

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:44 pm
12 to 15

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
I guess I’m asking if fantasy could ever work?

Which nonjewish books helped inspire this upcoming series?

Oh, I see you mentioned Harry Potter and A Wrinkle In Time upthread. Yes I DEFINITELY think fantasy could work, especially since it's a gender neutral genre- beloved by boys and girls alike. However, you probably have to be careful not to touch on anything controversial like witchcraft etc.... You want the book to appeal to all types across the Jewish spectrum for maximal success. But yeah, fantasy is a great idea.

cbsdbs

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:48 am
I have one teenager that will read anything she can get her hands on. She loves mystery stories and historical novels. She likes novels that are confusing and tied together at the end. She likes a good story that flows. The thicker the book the better. My teenage boys like historical novels with some science content with alot of action. They'll read a good mystery. As long as it's interesting, they'll read it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room