Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Did you ever buy shabbos food instead of cook
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:13 pm
I barely ever buy but a few weeks ago I bought dips and fish since my fish spoiled. I am particular and barely buy anything made but went to one place that I know makes good food and got morrocan salmon. Once in a while I buy challah but that's only if dh actually asks for it.
I hate takeout food and even cook out own shabbos Sheva brochos/bar mitzvah/vorts.(over 100 ppl by each) (Besides pastries)

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:31 pm
I buy potato kugel often.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:36 pm
I definitely have bought shabbos takeout. Particularly when my kids are home on a Friday (summer, vacation, etc). I think, would I rather spend the day cooking or doing something fun with them.

There's a shabbos special for $29.95 near me and you get: A rotisserie chicken, any soup, gefilte fish, Kugel and 1 lb side. I usually supplement with a few home cooked items (salads, roasted veggies, etc.)

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:

There's a shabbos special for $29.95 near me and you get: A rotisserie chicken, any soup, gefilte fish, Kugel and 1 lb side. I usually supplement with a few home cooked items (salads, roasted veggies, etc.)

I wish! A small raw chicken costs me about $14 and never goes on sale; a small kugel (about six by nine inches) is another $6, a roll of frozen gefilte is about $8 or $9– maybe more now, lI haven’t bought it in a couple of years—so for the price that nets you a whole cooked meal I get a kugel, plus a chicken and fish that I still have to cook, no soup, no side. Which is one reason why I don’t buy takeout for Shabbos.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:31 pm
I don't because a) we don't like take-out food, and b) I can't wrap my head around the prices. But for an easy week I will buy challah and dips, instead of making. And I'll do something super easy like a one-pan spiced chicken and potatoes in the oven that literally takes 6 minutes to throw together.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:34 pm
For some reason the shabbos specials aren't always advertised. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Last shabbos I ordered one and the 2 people next to me both got so excited and said, "shabbos special...what's that? I'll take one."

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:48 pm
In general, store bought food doesn’t taste as good as fresh homemade food. Also, take out food is full of oil and other ingredients I’d rather not eat. It also costs a lot...
let’s say you buy a small potato kugel.. it’s probably going to cost you around $9.00 and it will be greasy and airy.
You can peel 3 potatoes add 3 eggs an onion, a little oil salt and pepper and it will probably cost you $2-3! Plus it will taste delicious...
I’m not saying that during extreme circumstances one shouldn’t buy ready made food but on a regular basis it’s just not practical.
So op, it will definitely cost you more and probably won’t taste so good but if you need to buy ready made food at least you know it’s an option.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
In general, store bought food doesn’t taste as good as fresh homemade food. Also, take out food is full of oil and other ingredients I’d rather not eat. It also costs a lot...
let’s say you buy a small potato kugel.. it’s probably going to cost you around $9.00 and it will be greasy and airy.
You can peel 3 potatoes add 3 eggs an onion, a little oil salt and pepper and it will probably cost you $2-3! Plus it will taste delicious...
I’m not saying that during extreme circumstances one shouldn’t buy ready made food but on a regular basis it’s just not practical.
So op, it will definitely cost you more and probably won’t taste so good but if you need to buy ready made food at least you know it’s an option.

You can also just skip the potato kugel and make something else. It's a time consuming side dish.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:00 pm
I always buy potato kugel and gefilte fish and I often buy dessert

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:05 pm
oliveoil wrote:
You can also just skip the potato kugel and make something else. It's a time consuming side dish.

It takes a long time to bake but only a few minutes to prepare. If you make an 8x8 pan it should take about 10-12 minutes.... takes longer to go to the store

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:21 pm
Many take outs do make good food. Its not always oil mixed with salt and sugar.

We bought a shabbos hagadol special last year and it was so worth it. A ton of good stuff came in the special. I would do it again this year if needed.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
It takes a long time to bake but only a few minutes to prepare. If you make an 8x8 pan it should take about 10-12 minutes.... takes longer to go to the store

And 8x8 pan is tiny. Unless you're only feeding 2-3 people, you'll need significantly more. Dont forget washing the food processor takes time too. But my point was that if you don't want to spend so much money on bought potato kugel, which doesn't taste as good, the other option doesn't have to be make kugel from scratch. It can be cook a pot of rice or orzo or roast some mini potatoes in the oven.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:02 pm
Op I'd imagine by now you're convinced that takeout is perfectly acceptable.
My children are extremely picky eaters so takeout would just end up in the garbage.
But if my kids would be big eaters that like takeout food and I can afford it, I definitely would not feel guilty buying it.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 8:10 pm
oliveoil wrote:
And 8x8 pan is tiny. Unless you're only feeding 2-3 people, you'll need significantly more. Dont forget washing the food processor takes time too. But my point was that if you don't want to spend so much money on bought potato kugel, which doesn't taste as good, the other option doesn't have to be make kugel from scratch. It can be cook a pot of rice or orzo or roast some mini potatoes in the oven.

Btw/ an 8x8 is about half of a 9x13
I make it for 6 people every week

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
I definitely have bought shabbos takeout. Particularly when my kids are home on a Friday (summer, vacation, etc). I think, would I rather spend the day cooking or doing something fun with them.

That sounds amazing. Can you post the store name and location?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note