Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How do you handle wanting to say something?

If you want to add something to this conversation, what do you do?
Give up and walk away.  
 23%  [ 9 ]
Say "Excuse me, I just wanted to add that _________"  
 10%  [ 4 ]
Say "I just wanted to add that _________"  
 17%  [ 7 ]
Say "Can I offer my two cents, please?"  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Offer your opinion without asking for permission  
 43%  [ 17 ]
Say "I cant believe how Im standing here for ten minutes and no one is recognizing I'm here or including me in the conversation"  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other reaction, please offer details.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 39

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:01 am
Two women you know well are having a conversation and one is looking in your direction, one isnt. The conversation which is not of a personal nature at all, goes on for at least ten minutes and youre standing there.

If you want to add something to this conversation, what do you do?

Would your reaction be different if the two women talking are half your age, or is that irrelevant to the situation?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:12 am
"Hiii! So..."
If they're bwitches though, I won't bother unless it's outrageous

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:51 pm
I would walk away. Why should I share my stellar wisdom with ignorant boors who don't have the brains to seek out my insights?

But seriously, if they don't acknowledge me after two or three minutes,
I wave bye bye and walk away. After all, I'm intruding on their conversation and they are not obligated to include me, regardless of their age or the public-access nature of their convo.

Unless of course what I want to tell them is "Millie, your skirt is on fire" or "Your stroller with your baby in it just rolled down the hill" in which case I would just plain interrupt without waiting to be acknowledged.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:54 pm
I wouldn't bother. I'm guaranteed to be interrupted anyway.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 1:01 pm
OP here. I was bothered that a woman half my age looking right at me, talked non stop, didnt pause for air, despite me making it obvious that I wanted to say something, by mouthing some syllables.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I was bothered that a woman half my age looking right at me, talked non stop, didnt pause for air, despite me making it obvious that I wanted to say something, by mouthing some syllables.

That would bother me too and make me feel inadequate and ashamed.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 2:13 pm
I wouldn't make it 10 minutes. I'd rather sit alone and study the floor than stand around two rude people hoping to be noticed.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 2:22 pm
If the one person is looking at you I'm assuming she is including you in her conversation . At any time you could have said your point. I don't think you need to excuse yourself or ask permission to give your opinion on the matter , especially since it's not of any personal matter .
Age doesn't matter when it comes to adults. I converse with people half my age and double my age all the time . I respect everyone's opinion regardless of age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette