Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How did you get rid of the bottle calmly???

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 10:53 pm
Almost three year old drinks bottles only for night and resting. How can I stop this calmly?????
No comments please about wow should have done earlier etc. I am struggling with chronic illness. Big issue is chronic fatigue. Having a bottle helped child go back to sleep in mid of the night... Nuff said

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 11:02 pm
I don’t get rid of bottles. But I do limit them to only before bed or after waking up. Rest of the day is a cup. I wait for my kids to let me know they don’t need it anymore. This usually happens at around 4 years old.
I find it strange that you will see a 4-5 year old with a pacifier and no one really says anything but for a bottle that is only used for comfort at home, people have so much to say. I honestly think it’s cruel to force a child to give up his bottle. He gets a few minutes of comfort from it a day! Every one of my kids gave it up on their own! As long as your child will drink from a cup too I wouldn’t make a big deal.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 11:07 pm
Here’s what I’ve done and it worked really well:
First put only water in the bottle, the kid won’t like it as much but it’s not like taking the bottle away altogether, and water is not nearly as exciting
Then switch to a sippy cup with water
Finally switch to a straw sippy cup with water. Once the kid has to sit up to drink it loses its attractiveness but they still have something to go to sleep with

Give time between each stage for the kid to get used to the transition

oneofakind

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 11:42 pm
I diluted whatever liquid it was in the bottle until it was only water and bottle only for naps and bed. they lost interest pretty soon.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 2:09 am
You cannot control whether your child will act "calmly". If you follow the gradual approach outlined above, it is more likely, but the child may nevertheless be distraught about losing the bottle.

But if YOU can stay calm and firm, then you have succeeded in doing it calmly.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 2:15 am
I never put anything but water in a bottle. (Not talking about formula for babies)
Juice is only in a cup on shabbos.

Then I let them give it up themselves. We were once at Walmart when my oldest was about 3. We found those cool sippy cups that you drink from like a cup. After a year or so they both picked a color and wanted that when going to bed.
They keep it near their beds or in the crib to take a sip themselves if they wake up thirsty so they don't need to wake me for some water. Same as they used the bottle for till then.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 2:50 am
amother wrote:
You cannot control whether your child will act "calmly". If you follow the gradual approach outlined above, it is more likely, but the child may nevertheless be distraught about losing the bottle.

But if YOU can stay calm and firm, then you have succeeded in doing it calmly.

This exactly. Your child will very likely tantrum and protest loudly. It will be your choice to stick to your guns, or give in

trixx

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 4:06 am
amother wrote:
I don’t get rid of bottles. But I do limit them to only before bed or after waking up. Rest of the day is a cup. I wait for my kids to let me know they don’t need it anymore. This usually happens at around 4 years old.
I find it strange that you will see a 4-5 year old with a pacifier and no one really says anything but for a bottle that is only used for comfort at home, people have so much to say. I honestly think it’s cruel to force a child to give up his bottle. He gets a few minutes of comfort from it a day! Every one of my kids gave it up on their own! As long as your child will drink from a cup too I wouldn’t make a big deal.

Bc the bottle Usually holds milk or juice that contributes to tooth decay, which pacifier (while still not good for teeth) doesn't

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 9:55 am
trixx wrote:
Bc the bottle Usually holds milk or juice that contributes to tooth decay, which pacifier (while still not good for teeth) doesn't

I never understood why people still do this, knowing that it will ruin their kid's teeth. There is nothing sadder than a 3 or 4 yo with massive cavities.

I never gave my kids even water at night, once they had grown out of night nursing. They got a glass of water before bed, and that's it. They all were trained to stay dry at night much earlier than my friend's kids.

My kids also all pretty much skipped the sippy cup stage, stopped the bottle at around 2, and went straight to straws. The only thing they fought over, what who was going to get what color of straw. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics