Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to avoid answering what surgery DS had
Previous  1  2

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 8:41 am
My son had a hernia as well that was fixed at the same time so we just told everyone hernia surgery.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
This isn't accurate for undescended testicles. For your child's own health it's important to know there is an increased risk of cancer (and infertility) for either testicle even after it was operated on to bring it down. It's no one else business but you and your ds should know to be aware.
But, what do you mean he cut off the bad testicle? Maybe he had some other procedure done.
They don't cut off the testicle if it's undescended. It's only cut off if they think there's a tumor or if there was torsion. Is that what your son had? That's different than undescended testicle. Torsion is another thing that parents and kids should be aware of, so that if a kid has pain in the testicles get him to an ER right away so they can check if there is torsion. Otherwise if it's more than a few hours, they have to cut it off if it's dead.

My son had a bilateral testicular torsion. They don’t cut anything off. They disintegrate on their own.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 8:53 am
hernia surgery sounds like a great answer

I am all for shutting down discussion and not answering when don't want to but that answer does put any further possible wondering to rest

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:03 am
amother wrote:
This isn't accurate for undescended testicles. For your child's own health it's important to know there is an increased risk of cancer (and infertility) for either testicle even after it was operated on to bring it down. It's no one else business but you and your ds should know to be aware.
But, what do you mean he cut off the bad testicle? Maybe he had some other procedure done.
They don't cut off the testicle if it's undescended. It's only cut off if they think there's a tumor or if there was torsion. Is that what your son had? That's different than undescended testicle. Torsion is another thing that parents and kids should be aware of, so that if a kid has pain in the testicles get him to an ER right away so they can check if there is torsion. Otherwise if it's more than a few hours, they have to cut it off if it's dead.

My son had surgery exactly as described her but one of the testicles unfortunately didnt stay in place, (wasnt successful) so when I thought as u did, that it could lead to cancer possibly, I asked the dr and he said about cutting it off"" (I forgot the correct terminology).

You are telling me the dr os wrong?? Well yes, I know drs disagree and are sometimes wrong but if a person cant trust drs at all, why go?

A boy has two testicles and the dr said bh one is functioning fine so hell have enough sperm...just like with 2 kidneys, if 1 is donated, the person can still live a healthy life. Clearly, u would not want to make a shidduch with me but my sons urologist said it doesnt affect infertility and who is right? U or him??I dont have to disclose it by shiduchim bec dr said its not a problem and thats another reason why this should be kept secret now.

We dont know the future but we must do our hishtadlus which I did by consulting with the dr.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:09 am
Depending on his age, please don't embarrass him. Personally I would outright lie rather than say it. c'v

bestme

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:24 am
Some people will just answer all questions with Barach Hashem, he Is fine

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
My son had surgery exactly as described her but one of the testicles unfortunately didnt stay in place, (wasnt successful) so when I thought as u did, that it could lead to cancer possibly, I asked the dr and he said about cutting it off"" (I forgot the correct terminology).

You are telling me the dr os wrong?? Well yes, I know drs disagree and are sometimes wrong but if a person cant trust drs at all, why go?

A boy has two testicles and the dr said bh one is functioning fine so hell have enough sperm...just like with 2 kidneys, if 1 is donated, the person can still live a healthy life. Clearly, u would not want to make a shidduch with me but my sons urologist said it doesnt affect infertility and who is right? U or him??I dont have to disclose it by shiduchim bec dr said its not a problem and thats another reason why this should be kept secret now.

We dont know the future but we must do our hishtadlus which I did by consulting with the dr.

Relax, Lawngreen! No one said that she wouldn't want to make a shidduch with you- or that your surgeon was wrong! Cornflower just stated- accurately- that "cutting off a testicle" is not standard in the surgery under discussion. No judgement! No one implied that you or your surgeon did wrong, just that it's not the standard procedure. And before she said these boys should know what to look out for, not that it's a shidduch issue!
And ftr, I know the shidduch world is crazy, but I personally have no reservations about a potential sil who may or may not have had this procedure!

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 9:45 am
My son had such a surgery when he was toddler. They waited to see first if it will correct on own. It's in & out surgery. Quick revovery. Didn't tell everyone only those close fam that needed to know. I said hernia. My dr says that its fine in regards to fertility. My son is in shidduchim now no need to say anything bc no effect. if people know by infant they start talking later by shidduchim bc they have no idea if it has effect. If problem doesn't get corrected it creates a hernia, so you are not lying.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
Relax, Lawngreen! No one said that she wouldn't want to make a shidduch with you- or that your surgeon was wrong! Cornflower just stated- accurately- that "cutting off a testicle" is not standard in the surgery under discussion. No judgement! No one implied that you or your surgeon did wrong, just that it's not the standard procedure. And before she said these boys should know what to look out for, not that it's a shidduch issue!
And ftr, I know the shidduch world is crazy, but I personally have no reservations about a potential sil who may or may not have had this procedure!

My son had the same surgery, for an undescended testicle. Our urologist said that leaving it alone for too long runs a higher risk of cancer and infertility, but correcting it does not increase the risk.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:

Right. I didn't say anything about shidduchim. I said undescended testicles can increase cancer and infertility even in the other testicle and even if it was operated on. People should be aware just like people should be aware if they had a higher risk for any other illness or disease- they should know.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:00 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
My son had the same surgery, for an undescended testicle. Our urologist said that leaving it alone for too long runs a higher risk of cancer and infertility, but correcting it does not increase the risk.

Even after correction with surgery, there's still an increased risk of cancer and infertility compared to someone who didn't have undescended testicles. It's important for boys to be aware if they notice anything different.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
My son had a bilateral testicular torsion. They don’t cut anything off. They disintegrate on their own.

Was he born like this?

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:13 pm
"I'm sorry, I'm not at liberty to discuss that. Medical confidentially, you know."

Your ds surgery is nobody's business. He's entitled to privacy even if he is an infant, and you're not obligated to answer anyone's questions about it.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:14 pm
No ones business really and you don’t have to say

Just say a minor procedure
Or a drs appointment

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:36 pm
"BH DS is fine, he is going to be having a medical procedure so I will be out of the office on [day]."
Proper response should be "Refua sheleima" to which you respond "Thank you!"
If there is any other response, you ignore. Smile

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
Even after correction with surgery, there's still an increased risk of cancer and infertility compared to someone who didn't have undescended testicles. It's important for boys to be aware if they notice anything different.

I don’t mean to argue, but why should I trust an anonymous poster, over my very well known and highly recommended doctor?

YoYo

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:50 pm
Sorry to hijack the thread, but at what point is it appropriate to tell our sons that they had surgery in their private areas? In my case, my son had surgery for hypospadias when he was 9 months. His p-nis is still slightly disformed. I don't want him to be self conscious about himself. At what age should he know he is slightly 'different'?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:52 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I don’t mean to argue, but why should I trust an anonymous poster, over my very well known and highly recommended doctor?

You don't have to, but why don't you look into it? Is it possible you misunderstood your doctor? or maybe he said something wrong.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics