Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Fired again. I can't handle. Please help

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 4:44 am
So I was working at my last job for about a year and they said I wasn't billing enough and fired me with no chance to fix, he was a not nice boss and I'm glad I left. Now I am at a new job, same field for almost 2 years. Never got a raise. Went to boss for raise and he said oh we we're hoping the department you headed would bring in more money and it barely covers your salary, so basically wrap up all the clients and as of 1/1/19 you have no job. I am expecting so no chance someone will hire me on 1/1/19. I am angry, sad, and just dissapointed. I didn't expect this in the slightest. I need the income!

rivkam

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:09 am
Wow are you in America? In Israel they can't fire you when you're pregnant. That's such a crazy situation!

heidi

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:14 am
Did you not have a review in the almost two years you were working there?
If you got no warning maybe you can request a certain amount of time to try to improve.
Since this is the second time this is happening maybe you need to see how you can improve your skills.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:32 am
rivkam wrote:
Wow are you in America? In Israel they can't fire you when you're pregnant. That's such a crazy situation!

Yes, United States. He doesn't know I am pregnant I just started showing.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:33 am
heidi wrote:
Did you not have a review in the almost two years you were working there?
If you got no warning maybe you can request a certain amount of time to try to improve.
Since this is the second time this is happening maybe you need to see how you can improve your skills.

No review, I know it's crazy. It's a laid back office. He claims the company is not bringing in enough money they though they'd get more clients and didn't.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 5:45 am
I am sorry you are going through this. It looks like there is an underlying issue. It may be tough to get a new job and keep it.

Where are you located? Maybe after 1/1/19, you can speak with a retired businessmen offering free mentorship.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 6:17 am
rivkam wrote:

That is a misconception. They can't for you BECAUSE you're pregnant (which is true in America too) but they can certainly fire you for a legitimate reason even if you happen to be pregnant. If a pregnant woman makes a million dollar mistake, they certainly can fire her even while pregnant. If a pregnant woman is harassing her co-workers, they can certainly fire her even while pregnant. They just can't fire her because of anything related to the pregnancy.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 6:23 am
OP, many companies are willing to hire pregnant women if they have enough time to get trained in before going on maternity leave. Start interviewing immediately and you may find a new job even before January and you can start right away. You still have a few months. Hatzlacha !

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 6:25 am
Hugs OP. While this may or may not be your fault, please take a deep breath. BTDT. First think if there is anything you can change once you start a new job. Second, spruce up your resume and start again (I know I make it sound easy-its not. But like I said, I have been there too.) The same Hashem who put you here has something else for you. I personally have interviewed in my seventh month and have gotten offers. You never know. You can also ask your boss if you can continue until you get disability....

Good luck!!

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 6:27 am
If bringing in new business is a normal part of your profession (as it is for many lawyers and sales people), maybe you should get coaching in that aspect of the job. After 3-4years in the field you are presumably competent as far as the technical aspects go.

I agree that you should start job hunting now.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 6:52 am
I was fired twice in three years, and both times I happened to be pregnant. After the second time, I really started to think and realized I was genuinely not suited to this job. It was hard, because I had really wanted to do this particular job and had trained for it, but for whatever reason I could not translate my theoretical training to practical success. I ended up taking a different type of job in the same field, and it's been for the best. I'm much better suited to what I do now, I'm successful at it, and enjoy it a lot even though I never thought I'd end up taking this particular path. I know it's hard, so if you think the thing to do is postpone the search until after the baby, use this time to reflect and think if you want to look into the same kind of job or maybe try something else that is related enough that has a better chance of success for you. And of course, daven. Hashen really does know what he's doing, even if it doesn't always feel like it.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:19 am
I had a similar situation and as much as I liked the profession I was in, I recognize now that I was not suited for it. I changed careers totally and am much more successful and happy. I have been with my current employer for almost 4 years bli ayin hara. I would see if you can see a career counselor to see if there are other fields that you are more suited for.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:22 am
I was also in the same situations. I was fired from more jobs that I can count. Ultimately it was for the best. I took the frequent times I was on unemployment to build up my own business and become self employed.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 8:26 am
Hugs, this must be so hard! Terrible timing, too.

1. Remember, Hashem runs the world. He only wants the best for us.

2. If your job is sales or commission based, it might be too stressful for you. Some people thrive on the pressure, others not so much. Commission jobs are also not always reliable, and plenty of people with "brilliant ideas" go bankrupt every day.

3. Is there anything else you enjoy doing? I suggest you start looking for a new job now, while you're not showing, and make the move before January. Unless you have a contract, you do not have to stay with them so long.

4. Consider taking an entry level position in a new field and get training. The pay will be low at first, but there is a good chance for a lot more advancement opportunity.

Wishing you all the best, with clear and easily revealed paths forward!

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:14 am
Just fyi, I was not fired, however, I went to an interview while I was showing and I got hired. I was due 3 months later. The guy who interviewed me was clueless. So I felt I had to be honest and tell them outright because I didn't want to mislead them. Guess what? they were very grateful and hired me anyway.
Wishing you lots of hatzlocha in getting a job that you enjoy and employs your full strengths.

STMommy

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:15 am
it seems to me that the jobs you have been working at take a certain level of "aggression" (if that's the right word) or at the very least strong assertiveness, in order to bring in clients and drum up business, but maybe it's not in your personality to be that way. I agree with other posters that maybe this is a good time to take stock of your skills and assets and use that to come up with plan B.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:17 am
Definitely start job hunting now. You can definitely find a job when pregnant. It’s not easy, but definitely possible. Update your resume. Create a LinkedIn profile or update if you already have one. Get the word out amongst your friends and professional network you’re looking for a new job.

If you need help with your resume let us know. I’d be happy to help, as I’m sure many others here would too.

Good luck! Job hunting sucks, but you can do it.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:01 am
I got hired by a woman (!) when I was six months pregnant. I was obviously pregnant, but I had found one dress that simply made me look fat instead. Lots of ruffles. Hashem runs the world! Start job hunting now.

btdivorcedmom

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:22 am
So sorry you are in this situation. Hug The timing seems to be horrible, but remember everything Hashem does is for our good.

You can certainly look for a job while you are pregnant. If potential employer views your skills as a valuable asset, they will hire you even though you will have to be off on maternity leave. If you do plan to come back to work force after you have a baby, and your maternity leave will be not too long (2-3 months as opposed to a year for example), by all means you can start looking. I was hired once literally 2 weeks before I had one of my kids. I wasn't fired but had been looking for months at that time hoping to switch.

As far as your current job, I would request an exit interview and a detailed feedback before you leave, if your company routinely doesn't offer it. This will give you an idea whether the decision to let you go was economical , or there is something about your skills that could use improvement. The more specific the information you are given is, the more for your advantage it is. At this point, since you are fired anyway, you have nothing to loose, so you can encourage your employer to be brutally honest with you, if necessary. If the reason your employment was terminated is because of your skills, use this information to work on your deficiencies before you look for another job in this field. It should be easier if you know exactly what you have to work on.

Hope this helps. B'shaa Tova and Hatzlaha in your career path.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics