Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Am I expected to call moms on cellphones?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:12 am
I am a teacher doing my introductory phone calls for the year. Our school mandates them.

In my day, cell phones were more private - I.e. only given out to family and close friends, I know today they are less so. I am the kodesh teacher, so afternoons are my optimal calling time. I am getting mostly answering machines, likely because people are at work. But I don't want to bother people at work - it's not an important call.

I am wondering what the norms are today. Are house phones just for kids these days?

As a mom, would you prefer a call (no emergency) from a teacher on your home line or cell?

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:15 am
I think you can call the first time on a cell phone and ask the mother what she prefers for future calls. I would rather you call my cell because sometimes I get breaks in the day and then I can call you back before I come home and am with the kids. Once I am home for the night its very hard to take a personal call until all my kids are asleep and then I am usually fried too.

STMommy

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:23 am
I would prefer cell so that you can actually reach me and have a conversation as opposed to leaving a message at my empty house.
When I see its the school calling, I always answer. Therefore since your call is a non-emergency and mothers you call might be busy at work, it would be important for you to preface the conversation by saying, everything's fine, this is just my customary beginning-of-year introductory phone call, is now a good time for me to introduce myself and have a quick chat or am I calling at a bad time?

devash1

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:26 am
I would be so happy that the teacher is calling just ‏make a connection and not because of any problem. I would definitely prefer my cell since my home phone really is mostly for my kids and I don't really check the messages too often since they're never for me.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:29 am
My cellphone ringer is off when I'm home & I wouldn't appreciate a teachers call when I'm out. Call at home & leave a message with a call back number if no answer.

Maya

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:29 am
Both of my kids’ teachers called on my cell phone. I didn’t think it was an issue of privacy.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:31 am
I would not appreciate being called on my cell phone unless it's an emergency.
I second leaving a message on my house phone and I will call back.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:38 am
Cell phone please during the day. I'm out, as are a lot of moms.

Learning

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:40 am
I only use my cell phone. if you call the house phone I might not even get the voicemail because my kids use the home phone.

supty

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:55 am
Absolutely call on cell phone. Most people I know only use their cell phones, especially younger parents. I don’t think it’s an invasion of privacy in today’s day and age. My son’s rebbe made his introductory call on my cell and I didn’t think anything of it. Now if only they would communicate via text, that would be perfect Wink

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:59 am
I get so annoyed by the reverse to be honest. My sons rebbeim have their extensions forwarded to their cell phones which is great if they dont want to give out their personal number but when my son was in Nursery the morah's only wanted to be called at home and at a late hour and then their kids answer the phone its super awkward.

keym

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:06 am
I don't know. Am I the only one who doesn't appreciate these calls during the day and early evening when I'm busy with work and the kids?
I prefer when teachers reach out at night- after 8:30/9. I could focus a bit on the call and move to a more private spot if necessary.
Of course if its chv an emergency or urgent, call me wherever and whenever.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:15 am
I prefer calls after 8 p.m. Definitely on my cell phone. I never answer the home phone, it's only for the kids. I don't have an answering machine there either.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:16 am
I prefer calls after 8 p.m. Definitely on my cell phone. I never answer the home phone, it's only for the kids. I don't have an answering machine there either.

Mommy1:)

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:22 am
Cell. If I had a landline, the kids would probably delete messages (by accident).

I'm visualizing the scene... my kids would have a blast!

"oooh, the light is blinking! what will happen if I push this button? wow, it beeps! fun! I'm gonna do that again."

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:23 am
I can also see the scene of one kid holding it over the others head. Chani your teacher called your getting in trouble na na na na.

Miri7

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:26 am
I'd expect calls to my cell. If you're unsure, you can ask "Is this a good time? I hope you don't mind that I called on your cell, just let me know if you'd prefer I call on your home line."

Or something like that - acknowledge that the mom may not be free to talk at the time or would want to be called at home.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:32 am
Where I live the cell phone service and reception is lousy. So after work hours I prefer a call to my house phone.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 12:22 pm
I'm a teacher and at the beginning of the year I have parents fill out a form with the best way and time to contact them. I file them and pull out when I need to call home. I work in public school and the system we have doesn't indicate which number is which anyway, or which parents to call, so this makes things easier on everyone. You could also ask when you call the first time and keep a list for yourself.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 12:23 pm
So interesting how varied the answers are!

Now I'm even more unsure. :-)

Maybe this calls for a poll, if I only knew how to make one. embarrassed
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics