Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Who's responsible? Package from eBay did not arrive

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 10:31 pm
I ordered an expensive item from eBay and it never arrived. I contacted the seller and he provided me with a UPS receipt showing that it was left at the side door at the correct address. I assume it must have been stolen from there.

I don't expect the seller to have to refund my money since he apparently did ship the item, but OTOH I paid a significant amount of money for an item I never received. Does anyone know what eBay's policy is in such a case?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:03 pm
Most people would ship an expensive item with some kind of insurance. Can you make a claim with UPS?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:32 pm
I guess expensive is relative, but I meant that it wasn't the $2 dollar headband I ordered for my daughter. It was an electrical item that cost me $85. It does not seem that it was insured.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 09 2018, 11:57 pm
Did you pay by credit card?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 12:21 am
Contact UPS. File a claim.

takeiteasy

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:53 am
Try contacting eBay support if they can help you. You may have to file a police report to get reimbursed

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 6:18 am
With UPS insurance is free under $100, so it should have been insured. But I doubt it would cover something that was left at the door if the shipper didn't specify that a signature is required.

I would contact ebay support and see what they say.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:04 am
I paid via Paypal. I did contact eBay, but all they did was request a refund from the seller, and that's not my intention since he did ship the item. I will contact UPS, though I don't know if they'll do anything since it was not insured and there was no signature required.

rgr

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:09 am
amother wrote:
I paid via Paypal. I did contact eBay, but all they did was request a refund from the seller, and that's not my intention since he did ship the item. I will contact UPS, though I don't know if they'll do anything since it was not insured and there was no signature required.

If they have proof that they shipped it, they won't lose money either, Ebay will cover it

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:22 am
rgr wrote:
If they have proof that they shipped it, they won't lose money either, Ebay will cover it

Are you sure about this? So far, they turned it into a request for a refund from the seller though the seller has provided proof of shipping.

rgr

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:28 am
amother wrote:
Are you sure about this? So far, they turned it into a request for a refund from the seller though the seller has provided proof of shipping.

Pretty sure.
When I sold something on Ebay the buyer claimed they didn't get my item. They contacted me directly, and I said I sent it out. They contacted Ebay, I provided proof that I sent it out and I didn't lose money.

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:34 am
If you paid via PayPal, you can contact PayPal and speak with them - they have amazing policies and may reimburse you.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:44 am
UPS drivers can be pretty sketchy. They are not paid very much. I knew a guy who worked there for a while, and he said that the guys stole stuff off the trucks every single day. Because of the volume of packages they handle, and the random nature of the thefts, no one ever gets caught unless it's on camera.

I had the same problem as you did (side door delivery, allegedly), but UPS told me that unless I got it on a security camera, they will not get involved.

I am so sorry you got taken advantage of like that.

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:16 am
I had something similar happen with an Amazon package (fortunately they have great customer service and reimbursed me). For the future, change your shipping address to 123 Main Street (rear door / side door) to force them to bring it to a more secure location, and if they leave it at the front door and it's stolen, then it will be on UPS.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:20 am
I have lots if experience as a seller on eBay. The seller will NEVER be made responsible to reimburse the customer IF tracking shows that the package was delivered (even if only at the side door). PayPal is the same. However, if you open a non delivery case on eBay, and the seller will show the proof of delivery, there is still a CHANCE that eBay will process a full refund as a special gesture. The seller won't be effected by this refund in any way.

I also want to add that, from my experience, opening a case with any shipping company for such a case will not lead to anything ( just a waste of time..).

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
I have lots if experience as a seller on eBay. The seller will NEVER be made responsible to reimburse the customer IF tracking shows that the package was delivered (even if only at the side door). PayPal is the same. However, if you open a non delivery case on eBay, and the seller will show the proof of delivery, there is still a CHANCE that eBay will process a full refund as a special gesture. The seller won't be effected by this refund in any way.

I also want to add that, from my experience, opening a case with the any shipping company for such a case will not lead to anything ( just a waste of time..).

Is that something recent on ebay? I used to be a big seller on ebay about 5 years ago, they ALWAYS made the seller responsible for the non-deliveries. We had to submit claims for UPS for every single case and try to recoup our money in that fashion.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:05 am
Call PayPal. They should cover this.
But before you do so, put in a claim to UPS and get a case number, so you have it ready as a reference when you call PayPal.

takeiteasy

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:33 am
I am an eBay seller. I have been told if the buyer files a police report they will refund the buyer. Very rarely will get issue a credit if the packages shows it was delivered.
For what it is worth you can ask you mail carrier where he delivered the package....

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
Is that something recent on ebay? I used to be a big seller on ebay about 5 years ago, they ALWAYS made the seller responsible for the non-deliveries. We had to submit claims for UPS for every single case and try to recoup our money in that fashion.

Yes. It's recent. If the tracking shows "delivered" to the address the buyer provided, the seller is never responsible.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:24 am
"For what it is worth you can ask you mail carrier where he delivered the package...."

I found it very helpful and always suggested my customers to ask the mail carrier, if tracking shows it was delivered by USPS. Many times the package was mysteriously found that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics