Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Old Monsey Thread
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:25 am
Southernbubby's thread about moving to Monsey (may your move be with much Hatzlacha!) has triggered some nostalgia in some of us old Monsey amothers.

I thought it would be fun to start an old Monsey thread for those of us who remember Monsey the way it once was....

..when there was a pizza truck that came around to sell pizza

...later became an old pizza shop...

..Van Ripers (if you went to BY) where you could get fresh strawberries and ices during lunch break, so long as the Rebbetzin was safely in her office

..Nagels - the grocery and the hardware store

..Monsey Glatt...the old store, where Shopper's Haven now stands....

and any other memories you wish to share, just for the fun of it.

I thought of putting this in the Social Scene, but anonymous posting was disabled there.

If you grew up in Monsey, or visited relatives there, and have memories to share, join the fun!

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:03 am
When the only days there was traffic was during a snowstorm or on erev Pesach...

Viola Park was huge! now it's Manny Weldler and smaller.

I remember when Chaveirim first started!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:09 am
That big store that used to be before pathmark... I dont remember the name. That was an attraction to go to!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:08 am
I remember Caldor's! I think it became a Walmart.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
That big store that used to be before pathmark... I dont remember the name. That was an attraction to go to!!

Was it called Rickels? Because I used to work for the property owner of that entire lot and when they would give the address they would say the old Rickels building (or something like that )

When I was 3 my mother visited a friend's summer home in Monsey with me. It was on Adar Court. There were only two single family homes in that entire area. It was surrounded by rolling hills of green.

Where the Walmart is now there used to be a huge store that started with a "B" but I can't remember the name. I was a newlywed coming from Brooklyn and stores of that size were so new to me. I lost track of my DH and (who had cell phones then?) I was walking in circles trying to find him . At a certain point I went to the customer service desk to have them make an announcement on the loud speaker to come get me since I was "lost". Lol. My DH was mortified .

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:14 am
It was totally Rickels!
Who remembers Nappy?

little neshamala

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:43 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Was it called Rickels? Because I used to work for the property owner of that entire lot and when they would give the address they would say the old Rickels building (or something like that )

When I was 3 my mother visited a friend's summer home in Monsey with me. It was on Adar Court. There were only two single family homes in that entire area. It was surrounded by rolling hills of green.

Where the Walmart is now there used to be a huge store that started with a "B" but I can't remember the name. I was a newlywed coming from Brooklyn and stores of that size were so new to me. I lost track of my DH and (who had cell phones then?) I was walking in circles trying to find him . At a certain point I went to the customer service desk to have them make an announcement on the loud speaker to come get me since I was "lost". Lol. My DH was mortified .

Bradlees! I remember them! Im young, but I remember them. And rickels. And caldor....and I LOVED van ripers farm, what a shame they left.

Remember when the palisades mall was built? And when the cracks started appearing in the floors and it took a bunch of engineers to convince the new shoppers that this new humongous attraction was totally safe...

Remember the old finkelstein library? Different layout, pre construction-and no Jewish section...in fact the only Jews that went were the litvish and modern. I distinctly remember being around 10 years old and seeing a chassidish woman checking out books and being so surprised because you just never saw that. Now, there are always chadsidish people there and theres a Yiddish section, frum magazines, even computer software loaded with tons of seforim etc...

Remember where metziyas place (nearly new kupas ezra thrift shop) was? In the bottom of that super old (its over 100 years old) building on main street...the memories I have of telling my mother I would NOT wear that ugly sweater so dont buy it..in that cramped little musty basement with the noisy flourescent lights...

I liked when eugene levy park had a merry go round....

Last edited by little neshamala on Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:47 am
Over 20 years ago, before Monsey was so built up, I came to visit and remember some of the stores that you are mentioning. A few weeks ago when I was in Monsey, I decided that my son and his wife and kids had to take me back to Bear Mountain to visit the bear and guess what! The bear is still there!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:07 am
Ha yes rickels. Whenever there was no school, that was the attraction.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:09 am
This isn't so old but sorely missed, Frank's bakery! Nothing like it.
Haha and who remembers Mr Nagel yelling across the store "Ari this lady is ready to toivel!!!"

little neshamala

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
Haha and who remembers Mr Nagel yelling across the store "Ari this lady is ready to toivel!!!"

Ah Mr Nagel was a legend

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:19 am
amother wrote:

Oh, yes. Nothing was like having DH bringing home a half a loaf of fresh bread daily for breakfast and lunch from Franks. Mmm...my mouth is watering

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

Yes! I grew up on their fresh bread in wax paper bags....and their colorful jelly cookies. My mother used to get their sheet cakes for Shabbos - grated chocolate, or jelly roll, or their seven layer cake....

I can't believe I forgot about Rickels! Thanks for reminding me....

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:53 am
amother wrote:

It was Uri I think or pronounce Irrrriii

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:54 am
We left Monsey in '95 , but I was 8 years old and my memories are vague Smile

Definitely remember Nagels.

The metziyus place- yes oh my mother spent so much time there sifting through the white shirts looking for a shirt without holes. (old timey kollel family)

blauvelt road - does it still go down and up like that?

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:55 am
Who remembers when Heshy's was the only pizza store (near the tracks)?

Mr. Nagel is still holding court...now appearing in Wesley Kosher.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
We left Monsey in '95 , but I was 8 years old and my memories are vague Smile

Definitely remember Nagels.

The metziyus place- yes oh my mother spent so much time there sifting through the white shirts looking for a shirt without holes. (old timey kollel family)

blauvelt road - does it still go down and up like that?

Blauvelt is very steep.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:04 am
southernbubby wrote:
Blauvelt is very steep.

I used to walk up Blauvelt nearly every Shabbos, to my friend's house. Halfway up there was a family that put out a bench to sit on. It said "Take a seat, have a rest" on it.

Closer to the top, you can see a gorgeous view of Monsey.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
I used to walk up Blauvelt nearly every Shabbos, to my friend's house. Halfway up there was a family that put out a bench to sit on. It said "Take a seat, have a rest" on it.

Closer to the top, you can see a gorgeous view of Monsey.

How do you go up, or down, if there is ice or snow?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:16 am
Anyone remember the milk man delivering milk and bread every morning? Can't remember his name.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics