Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Israeli Sauteed Eggplant

corolla

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:05 am
I'm looking for a recipe for the classic sauteed eggplant dip, the kind you can find prepared in the dips section. Anyone have anything?

corolla

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:12 am
Bump!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:19 am
Read the ingredient list on the package.

Roast the eggplant in the oven or over a gas flame, and then peel it, cool it, and chop it into pieces. Put in a large pan, and add anything you like.

Tomatoes, olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, spices, etc. Play around with it and come up with your own awesome recipe, and all your guests will be begging to know your secret!

Eggplant is very forgiving. It's really hard to mess up. The only mistake is if you don't cook it long enough. Overcooking is absolutely fine, as it just blends the flavor more.

corolla

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:27 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Read the ingredient list on the package.

Roast the eggplant in the oven or over a gas flame, and then peel it, cool it, and chop it into pieces. Put in a large pan, and add anything you like.

Tomatoes, olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, spices, etc. Play around with it and come up with your own awesome recipe, and all your guests will be begging to know your secret!

Eggplant is very forgiving. It's really hard to mess up. The only mistake is if you don't cook it long enough. Overcooking is absolutely fine, as it just blends the flavor more.

Good idea! Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:30 am
corolla wrote:
Good idea! Thanks!

Learning to cook "on the fly", with whatever you have on hand, is the BEST cooking skill that was ever passed down to me.

Once you know your ingredients, and what they can and can't do, then you can mix and match anything. You'll find that you only need real measurements for baking.

Remember, cooking is an art, baking is a science. Very Happy

corolla

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:36 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Learning to cook "on the fly", with whatever you have on hand, is the BEST cooking skill that was ever passed down to me.

Once you know your ingredients, and what they can and can't do, then you can mix and match anything. You'll find that you only need real measurements for baking.

Remember, cooking is an art, baking is a science. Very Happy

I love cooking on the fly. In fact, I rarely follow recipes. However, I'm always wondering if there is some "secret" ingredient or spice that I wouldn't have known to add without a recipe.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:40 am
corolla wrote:
I love cooking on the fly. In fact, I rarely follow recipes. However, I'm always wondering if there is some "secret" ingredient or spice that I wouldn't have known to add without a recipe.

Cumin, turmeric, cilantro, garam masala, there's a million of them out there.

If you like Indian food, the Rami brand spices are under the KSA (or they were last time I checked, so always check again.) You can get them on Amazon.

I made this last night, and it knocked my socks off. Definitely will be making this again!
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com.....gurt/

I love eggplant in all forms. Very Happy

hannaxx

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:43 am
I am also a eggplant fan big time!!!

I just chop and bake in oven. Once cool down I blend with garlic, mayo, egg and salt. Absolutlely heaven.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:03 am
Hope you don't mind, corrolla, if I hijack your thread a bit -

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for sauteed eggplant that is NOT grilled. I ate it when I was in Israel, and it was really good! But I don't like the grilled taste. How do I make it? Do you put in onions, garlic? Do you bake or sautee? Thanks!

And hannaxx, how long do you bake your eggplant, what temperature, and what kind of egg - is that hard boiled? Thanks!

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:09 am
Cut an unpeeled eggplant or two into nice size chunks and spread on a baking tin. Spray with olive oil and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Meanwhile saute chopped onions and red pepper. Add cooked eggplant and some tomato paste and water and paprika and some spicy paprika. Let cook covered about 10 minutes. Then add 1\3 c. red wine vinegar 3tsps. sugar or splenda and cook uncovered a few more minutes

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:12 am
heidi wrote:
Cut an unpeeled eggplant or two into nice size chunks and spread on a baking tin. Spray with olive oil and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Meanwhile saute chopped onions and red pepper. Add cooked eggplant and some tomato paste and water and paprika and some spicy paprika. Let cook covered about 10 minutes. Then add 1\3 c. red wine vinegar 3tsps. sugar or splenda and cook uncovered a few more minutes

Thanks!

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:44 am
Enjoy!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:02 pm
Sometimes it’s just deep fried.

Metukah

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:56 am
Iymnok wrote:
Sometimes it’s just deep fried.

Always the best.

Shame about the calories though.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:08 am
I just peel and slice an eggplant, and lightly sprinkle with salt. Leave for about 20 minutes, this will draw out any bitterness.

Then fry the eggplant in batches till golden, flip over to do other side. Eggplant should be very soft and will sort of mash easily when moved to a container.

Serve warm or cold. Delicious as a dip with Challah, or served with pasta.

Shuly

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:45 am
2 large eggplants - slice and salt (can leave salted overnight), then wash and dry
Fry slices on both sides.

Mix together the following and pour over fried eggplant:
1 Tblsp vinegar
1/3 c water
1 Tblsp sugar
4 cloves of garlic minced
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics