Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Europe in winter?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 4:19 am
Are there cities in Europe that are nice in the winter (or at least not uncomfortable)?

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:04 am
spain I think.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 5:30 am
We went to Italy in February abc had a great time

ggdm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 1:57 pm
Go south: Spain, Italy, Greece, ...

Although there is always the possibility of bad weather and in these areas they will not be very prepared for that (no insulation, no heating, ...). On the other hand you can have lovely sunny days in Sweden in winter and if you dress according to the temperatures you will be fine. Just don't go to England, it always rains (joke, please don't kill me English amothers).

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 6:20 pm
Not Op, but bumping this thread because also looking to go to Europe in Nov/Dec time. I'd like a country that has beautiful scenery, but good/ok weather that time of year. Would love to visit the Swiss Alps, but would the weather be conducive to actually seeing the mountains?

Will ideally like to combine a city like London and a city with natural beauty

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 6:24 pm
A lot of people go to the alpes in the winter. For winter sports. It's very nice but very cold and lot's of snow

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
A lot of people go to the alpes in the winter. For winter sports. It's very nice but very cold and lot's of snow

Pregnant, so can't do winter sports. Would want to go more for scenery and hiking. Will it be too foggy/rainy to see anything?

Zeleze

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:49 am
Swiss alps but very costly

Venice for a day or 2
Ukriane as a heritage visit, Hungary and around (try also Vienna, all so close by car)

cinnamon

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 8:42 am
Is it totally crazy to go to Paris in January?
We found pretty cheap tickets and figured we'd dress warm and do indoor activities...

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 9:13 am
Zeleze wrote:

Venice for a day or 2
Ukriane as a heritage visit, Hungary and around (try also Vienna, all so close by car)
close by car can be a whole day. In Ukraine a (even just 10 km) few km by car can take hours cuz the streets are so bad and bumpy. I absolutely wouldn't recommend that to someone pregnant...

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 1:57 pm
Zeleze wrote:

Venice for a day or 2

Thanks,

I would love to go to the Swiss alps, but not sure if it's worth it to go in November. If anyone has been that time of year (Nov/Dec) I would love feedback!

Venice is on the list, but definitely not Ukraine or Hungary (don't want to be nervous about safety....) I would like to visit a place of natural beauty, I'm not really a city girl.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 1:59 pm
cinnamon wrote:
We found pretty cheap tickets and figured we'd dress warm and do indoor activities...

I would go! It might be even better because it's low season

ggdm

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:47 pm
Re Alps in winter: It totally depends on the weather. You can be lucky and have crystal clear sunny days. It will be cold, but it is awesome to be in the mountains in that weather. Or you can have foggy, gray, drizzly days where you just want to stay home. It is just your luck.

There are many possibilities to go hiking in the snow. You can adjust the length and difficulty according to your level of fitness. I have been hiking while pregnant and soon after breaking my foot. Just prepare well and do easy tours. outdooractive.com has lots of tours for every level.

I think I would do the following: I'd stay somewhere that is both close to a city and close to a nice hiking place. If the weather is good, I'd go hiking. If it is bad, I'd see the city. It doesn't have to be a big city. Depending on what you like, many smaller places have things to do like see how cheese is made, etc. Also, personally, I'd go to the part of the Alps in Austria or France. Switzerland is really expensive.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:50 pm
We plan iyh to see family in Italy in February. Weather should be nice esp Rome

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
definitely not Ukraine or Hungary (don't want to be nervous about safety....)

No shootings in either place...

ggdm

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:54 pm
Re Paris: A lovely city and lots of indoor activities. And many nice cafes and restaurants to warm up. I have been in February and March with bad weather and it is ok. Just bring good clothes and mentally prepare for rain and cold. Chose a day with less wind and rain for Montmartre.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:12 pm
cinnamon wrote:

It will be cold but there is so much to do there that’s indoors. Go for it!

amother
White

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 2:54 am
amother wrote:
We went to Italy in February abc had a great time

Can you tell me about your trip? We are looking to go this February and id love if you could share all the details from a to z. Where you stayed , did you get a phone while there ? What did you do? How much did it cost you ? Where did you eat? Etc.

amother
White

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 2:59 am
Ruchel wrote:
We plan iyh to see family in Italy in February. Weather should be nice esp Rome

I'm sure it's different since you have family there but id love to hear your plans. Also, I assume you know a bit about the place . This is my first time traveling abroad so I don't even know here to start but my friend and I are looking to come for a weeks trip in February.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 3:22 am
There may be snow in Jan (Paris). I don't like it. But that's me!
Yeah, my husband spent so much time in Rome and I've been many times. It's different when you know. We will probably see shopping (Roman tailors are the best), some museums, the Jewish ghetto of course, and EAT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics