Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
FRUIT FLIES!!! HELP!!!!
1  2  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:18 am
Ok im literally on the verge... These tiny little fruit flies are all over my house!! I feel like im breathing them. (for about 3 days) SO first, HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM???? I scrubbed my kitchen down with Ammonia but they're not only in the kitchen. Does anyone know what they come from? (No, there is no open food anywhere..) My son brought home a goldfish from camp about 2 weeks ago. Can it be from that? They're not necessarily around the fish alot. can someone please help??????????

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:58 am
You can make a fruit fly trap (or a few). Cut a soda bottle where the bottle starts to taper toward the cap. Put some apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap in the bottom. (You can also add a small piece of fruit in there, but not 100% needed). Invert the cut piece of the bottle so that the spout is pointing down toward the bottom of the bottle. Fruit flies will be drawn down the "funnel" and will not be able to get out. You can place a few of these around the house. They are pretty effective...

If you don't have plastic bottles, you can use a cup as well.

FYI- Fruit flies can come into the house with cut flowers, or produce from the store...

Good luck.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 1:00 am
pour baking soda and vinegar down ALL of your drains, not just in your kitchen. That helped us get rid of them.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 1:06 am
Baking soda mixed with vinegar?

Boca00

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 1:34 am
This one works really well- take sweet red wine and put into a disposable small plastic container. Add a few small drops of dish soap and stir gently.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 11:31 am
best trap ever: take a cup of apple cider vinegar and put it in a cup covered with plastic with small holes on the top. Place one next to all of the areas you are the most infested--near the garbage can, near the dishes, near the fruit bowl, etc. Leave for 4 days. We recently did this and caught tons of fruit flies. We repeated this a week later to get any remaining ones. Really worked.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
Baking soda mixed with vinegar?
yup

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 1:46 pm
personally we tried various home remedies and in the end we went we a professional pest control company who finally got rid of them!

Zeleze

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 1:30 pm
Here in Israel this summer it's really a plague

Much more then any other I remember

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 1:51 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
You can make a fruit fly trap (or a few). Cut a soda bottle where the bottle starts to taper toward the cap. Put some apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap in the bottom. (You can also add a small piece of fruit in there, but not 100% needed). Invert the cut piece of the bottle so that the spout is pointing down toward the bottom of the bottle. Fruit flies will be drawn down the "funnel" and will not be able to get out. You can place a few of these around the house. They are pretty effective...

If you don't have plastic bottles, you can use a cup as well.

FYI- Fruit flies can come into the house with cut flowers, or produce from the store...

Good luck.

We just got rid of them bh! using this method!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:10 am
I found pretty much the same thing online, but their recipe is filling the bottle half full of cider vinegar. Does it work with much less cider vinegar?

https://happymoneysaver.com/be.....egar/

ellacoe

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:29 am
I bought two small venus fly trap plants at the supermarket (at the flower counter). It did the trick.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:40 am
Anyone know where in or near BP I can get Venus Fly Trap plants? Do they work quicker than the vinegar tip?

I see them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Small-S.....plant

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 12:27 pm
Ah yes, it's that time of the year again!

Take out your garbage daily.
Don't store fruits or veggies on the counter.
Clean up spilled juice immediately.
Pour bleach down all of your drains.

Pray for a very, very cold winter.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
Ok im literally on the verge... These tiny little fruit flies are all over my house!! I feel like im breathing them. (for about 3 days) SO first, HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM???? I scrubbed my kitchen down with Ammonia but they're not only in the kitchen. Does anyone know what they come from? (No, there is no open food anywhere..) My son brought home a goldfish from camp about 2 weeks ago. Can it be from that? They're not necessarily around the fish alot. can someone please help??????????

That's funny they started in my house about a week ago and I thought my kitchen was dirty, they were all over my food, coming out my dustbin. A neighbour then told me her kitchen is full and she spoke to her mom oversees that said her kitchen is also full. Time of year I guess.

professor

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:30 pm
Wow great ideas here. I'm taking notes Smile

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:58 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Ah yes, it's that time of the year again!

Take out your garbage daily.
Don't store fruits or veggies on the counter.
Clean up spilled juice immediately.
Pour bleach down all of your drains.

Pray for a very, very cold winter.

Excuse my ignorance but where would I store bananas, onions and potatoes if not the counter?

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 3:06 pm
My house was infested with fruit flies just a few days ago, they were literally everywhere..
I took out the garbage, cleaned out the bin I keep my onions/potatoes in, poured bleach down the drains and put out a balsamic vinegar trap (put one inch of vinegar into a jar and covered tightly with a plastic bag that had a few small holes punched in)
Bh they are gone!!!!

mommybrr

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:44 pm
Red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar mixed with a drop of dish soap in a cup or shallow bowl. If using a cup either fill it up or cut it shorter so that the flies hit the vinegar shortly after sitting on the rim of the cup. I replace the vinigar every few days cuz it catches tonz of flies. You can also buy a fruit fly trap in a hardware store or online https://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-.....psc=1 which you fill with vinegar, advantage is that it has holes that x allow flies to leave once going in.

ellacoe

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone know where in or near BP I can get Venus Fly Trap plants? Do they work quicker than the vinegar tip?

I see them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Small-S.....plant

I got mine at a Stop and Shop
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics