Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
I dyed my sheital myself and it looks great!

iluvjerusalem

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 2:11 am
After a lot of researching and watching every YouTube video I could find, I finally got up the guts to dye my wig myself last night. I bought regular hair dye at the drug store, on the inexpensive end of the spectrum, and a set of dying tools (a brush, clips, bowl, and comb). I also ordered a wig head stand that clips to my table for like $3 on AliExpress. I covered everything in newspaper, split the hair into parts, and just did it just like I saw in the videos. I didn’t put any Vaseline or product on the silk top, but I painted the dye very carefully onto little peices of the top peice at a time to be sure I wouldn’t stain it. In the end the silk top did get a tiny dot of brown at the back where no one will ever see it. The bottom where the dye was on longer got darker, because it took so long to do the top. It looks like highlights. All in all I’m super happy with the results, the money I saved, and a fun project that was successful.
The wig is a Malky that I ordered to Israel fromNY, and even though the seller was clear with me about the color, I got it and felt it was too light. I wore it for about 6 months to see if I’d get used to it but it just wasn’t me. Now it is 100% my color and I’m thrilled.
Just thought I’d share in case anyone else was thinking about doing it. I know I pored over all the posts on the topic here before I got started.

maidale

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 2:37 am
you are really corageous!! I’m happy your expectations were met. wear it in good health!
I’m not sure I’d have the guts to do it.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:14 am
Good for you! I’d be terrified, I had a disaster the first time I tried to was my wig and actually put a hole right through the cap! It’s now a fall. :-(

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:30 am
I dye all my wigs myself. I just follow package instructions .
The first two times I've done it, weren't good.
But practice makes perfect and I have done it since .
I did get dye in the skin top but that didn't bother me .
OP, it sounds like you are more careful than I am. I'll take your advice and watch some video clips

studying_torah

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 1:52 pm
I tried it with 2 older wigs with mixed results (though I wasnt very careful w the skin top).
The super dry straw one got softer and looked better.
The better quality wig just dried out and the color didnt hold.
Enjoy your new wig!

deweybyrd

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 2:12 pm
Which video did you watch??? What is the link??? I want to watch how.

iluvjerusalem

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:01 pm
deweybyrd wrote:
Which video did you watch??? What is the link??? I want to watch how.

I watched so many, here is what I found in my history, I know there were more that were helpful I just had to do a lot of hunting and trying different search phrases

Coloring my wig without staining the closure: https://youtu.be/wphZguiHuhk

How to color a silk closure wig safely:
https://youtu.be/PG5os2OrPz4

Coloring wig black without staining the closure https://youtu.be/kTFxE_LCCKE

kiryat sefer

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:15 pm
I also did it for someone but the wig itself was bad so she had to throw it out after six months. Dying a wig isn't as hard as people make it sound or the price people pay is overpriced.
I am proud of you.

mom2dkay

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:18 pm
Which dye did you use?

iluvjerusalem

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 3:00 am
mom2dkay wrote:
Which dye did you use?

I used Garnier color naturals, but only because it was the cheapest dye on the shelf that came in the exact color I wanted. I’m not sure which hair dye you use makes a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels