Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Old Monsey Thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

fmt4

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
It was Oneg for a while. It changed names at least once, probably more times.

Who remembers when we finally got a REAL restaurant in Monsey? I think it was called Cirque or something like that.

Yes!!! Cirque!’ It was on route 59? I think, I was so young! But I remember it was so so nice to me as a kid so exciting!!! It was dairy first and then it became meat and then it closed.

fmt4

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
No more elzees for a while already.

Remember Jay stores, underworld near pathmark?
Also I miss baby garden.

Yes j stores!!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:13 pm
Anyone remember Kinor David, the upscale fleishig restaurant that didn't last because they were way to expensive for "pashut" Monsey back then? That's where Kosher Castle is now.
I'll never forget our meal of meat and mashed potatoes with crispy onions for two was over $100 and DH and I were in shock. (Over 15 years ago)

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:14 pm
Remember where nagels had their pesach store? You had to go down and around. There were very few pesach products then.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:23 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Anyone remember Kinor David, the upscale fleishig restaurant that didn't last because they were way to expensive for "pashut" Monsey back then? That's where Kosher Castle is now.
I'll never forget our meal of meat and mashed potatoes with crispy onions for two was over $100 and DH and I were in shock. (Over 15 years ago)

my husband's friend was one of the silent investors in that place.. A lot of shenanigans were going on, they closed down with 10s of thousands in losses..

mandr

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:32 pm
First was Fleigels, then Majestic Table, then Kinor David, then Kosher Castle...

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:39 pm
Does anyone remember the Kranes, Tante Ruth and Uncle Robert on Saddle River Rd? They were this incredible couple who never had children of their own, so everyone called them Tante and Uncle. I used to think that they belonged to MY family, until I mentioned their names in school once and half my class knew them, they all had Tante Ruths hand knitted baby blankets and quite a few of them used to go visit them like we did.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:41 pm
mandr wrote:
First was Fleigels, then Majestic Table, then Kinor David, then Kosher Castle...

I remember when it was still Burger King,with the big Drive-In movie

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:43 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I remember when it was still Burger King,with the big Drive-In movie

So do I, but I don't remember any movies being shown, I think those days were long over.

thanks

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 8:57 pm
Remember when you lived up the hill or down the hill, and nowhere else?
Remember when 306 had only a few bungalows/houses from maple until viola?
When the skyline in viola park was lined with trees, not houses?
Ka"h, it's grown.

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:07 pm
Does anyone remember when there were basically 3 shuls "up the hill" for Litvaks? (R' Tendler, R' Wein and R' Pessin z"l)

And going "shul hopping" on Simchas Torah- always ending up in Shaarei Torah (now Vishnitz).

How about paddleball in Viola Park? Or biking all over town until nightfall...this would all be scandalous now!

[I probably should be anon as I have kids in shidduchim...LOL]

spelt

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 12:41 am
love this post! grew up in monsey in the 70s. going ice skating on the pond near ellish parkway. going swimming at requa lake. disney movies at the drive in. riding our bikes all over the place. camp eagle. the flea market. masters. we lived in forshay and were the only frum people there - walked to Bais Torah! sport-o-rama ice skating every sunday with my friends....great memories!

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:44 am
This thread is a blast and most of my memories are listed!

I remember when royal baby was next to One Stop Kosher as of course was Monsey Housewares.

Next Center over had Nagel’s where somehow most of the items were always in boxes...

Van Riper had a peacock I used to love. I watched those birds while my mother shopped.

But when we didn’t get there, we headed for Remsen Farms which closed eventually in some scandal the adults never wanted to talk about.

Meat Showcase was owned by the Blaus and was always freezing.

Eidensohn’s was the go to for clothes

Malka Litzman aka Monsey Shoes was the funnest fitter.

I remember when the Seidenfelds opened Trading Post then moved away and sold it.

Sabels made the absolute best 3 bean salad.

Ooooh Tuv Taam (aka Klein’s) pizza in its original location on Main St had stools I loved but my fave was the mixed ice cream.

Frank’s bakery was delicious and if any of you had Rebbetzin Goldwurm a”h she told us Mrs Frank would allow community women to come Wed and Thurs to take challah especially kimpiturins who had no koach to bake but wouldn’t want to miss the Mitzvah

Hatzlocha had Glaubers in the back that also had both a bakery and a take out staffed on Fridays by all the Glauber teen grandkids

Greenbaum’s pharmacy was the only one

The two Israeli’s who owned the car repair on corner Main and grove: Abe and??? Were pretty friendly with us and our cars.

I remember Mendlowitz was near where the former Amazing Savings lot was.

There was an ice cream store for a short period in Wesley but it was too much of a schlep for us.

I used Dr Levine too!! And then Dr Wertzberger when he was on 59 and then Dr Gorelick! Who remembers him and his DIL Risa?

Dr Menken was my orthodontist even though most of my friends used Dr Schneeweiss!

Rickle’s was the weirdest store. It was huge but they never had what you needed.

I used to volunteer at Northern Metropolitan and Morah Blanca of my fave Mitzvah Treep Triplets would come feed patients.

I remember that bench on Blauvelt.

What did you do for day camp in the summer? Did you go to LaRuach? Sunny Hills? Or did you attend backyard day camps like me? The Wosners had one for 5&6 and before that everyone went to the Waldman/Roseman one.

Ok and here is a goodie: who remembers the Bazars?!!!!!
Bais Dovid & Bais Rochel had one and Satmar did one for 2-3 years

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:13 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
This thread is a blast and most of my memories are listed!

I remember when royal baby was next to One Stop Kosher as of course was Monsey Housewares.

Next Center over had Nagel’s where somehow most of the items were always in boxes...

Van Riper had a peacock I used to love. I watched those birds while my mother shopped.

But when we didn’t get there, we headed for Remsen Farms which closed eventually in some scandal the adults never wanted to talk about.

Meat Showcase was owned by the Blaus and was always freezing.

Eidensohn’s was the go to for clothes

Malka Litzman aka Monsey Shoes was the funnest fitter.

I remember when the Seidenfelds opened Trading Post then moved away and sold it.

Sabels made the absolute best 3 bean salad.

Ooooh Tuv Taam (aka Klein’s) pizza in its original location on Main St had stools I loved but my fave was the mixed ice cream.

Frank’s bakery was delicious and if any of you had Rebbetzin Goldwurm a”h she told us Mrs Frank would allow community women to come Wed and Thurs to take challah especially kimpiturins who had no koach to bake but wouldn’t want to miss the Mitzvah

Hatzlocha had Glaubers in the back that also had both a bakery and a take out staffed on Fridays by all the Glauber teen grandkids

Greenbaum’s pharmacy was the only one

The two Israeli’s who owned the car repair on corner Main and grove: Abe and??? Were pretty friendly with us and our cars.

I remember Mendlowitz was near where the former Amazing Savings lot was.

There was an ice cream store for a short period in Wesley but it was too much of a schlep for us.

I used Dr Levine too!! And then Dr Wertzberger when he was on 59 and then Dr Gorelick! Who remembers him and his DIL Risa?

Dr Menken was my orthodontist even though most of my friends used Dr Schneeweiss!

Rickle’s was the weirdest store. It was huge but they never had what you needed.

I used to volunteer at Northern Metropolitan and Morah Blanca of my fave Mitzvah Treep Triplets would come feed patients.

I remember that bench on Blauvelt.

What did you do for day camp in the summer? Did you go to LaRuach? Sunny Hills? Or did you attend backyard day camps like me? The Wosners had one for 5&6 and before that everyone went to the Waldman/Roseman one.

Ok and here is a goodie: who remembers the Bazars?!!!!!
Bais Dovid & Bais Rochel had one and Satmar did one for 2-3 years

Most of your post is from before my days here . But reading it makes Monsey feel so enchanting. I'm surprised to hear that Dr. Schneeweiss and Dr. Wertzberger were already practicing back then. Truly amazing

little neshamala

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:16 am
Ha! Yes, the bais dovid bazar-my mother would always buy our shampoo there lol

little neshamala

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:20 am
And someone mentioned sammys bagels!! Do you know, I still miss them...they had sammy sticks and bagels with sundried tomato, and chocolate chip bagels and all kinds

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:25 am
We used to help volunteer at th bais Rochel bazar. You literally got stuff for pennies. Those puzzle balls were 5 cents! Random clothing lol.

And who used dr stolzenberg for braces? She recently passed away. I was her patient when she was around 75-80!! Her grandkids formed an estate sale this summer at her home before selling it and I picked up some rare finds. Like a Speak & Math by Texas Instruments (who remembers that??!) and Crayola crayons from a 1978 box!

I love this thread!!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:39 am
The lingerie shop next to Eidensohns, what was it called? That's where all of my friends get our first bras.

The shoemaker on Main St - he looked so old we could never believe he was still alive. We had him put taps on every pair of shoes we got.

There was a pool that we used to go swimming at every summer. We would meet everybody we knew there. Can't remember what it was called.

Whoever mentioned the metzias place, we used to shop there also, when it was on Main St, most embarrassing place for a teenager to have to shop.

I remember the Bais Rochel and Bais Dovid bazaars, it was so much fun to see what you could find.

We started going to Dr Werzberger after Dr Levine retired. They were like night and day, we couldn't believe that this was a real doctor!

I remember when Photo Express first opened and you could get your pictures developed in 1 hour! That was the most exciting news.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:24 am
thunderstorm wrote:
How many years ago was this? Because I remember around 16 years ago there was a guy Mr. Cinner who delivered milk, bread and juice but he stopped after about a year or so.

I'm talking like 35 years ago.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:26 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone remember the Kranes, Tante Ruth and Uncle Robert on Saddle River Rd? They were this incredible couple who never had children of their own, so everyone called them Tante and Uncle. I used to think that they belonged to MY family, until I mentioned their names in school once and half my class knew them, they all had Tante Ruths hand knitted baby blankets and quite a few of them used to go visit them like we did.

You can't remember the Kranes without remembering Rabbi and Rebbetzin Goldwurm. They were so devoted to the Kranes. I used to see Rebbetzin G walking to Tante Ruth every morning, when I was waiting for my school bus. Like early - before 8.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics