Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How can we increase our income?
Previous  1  2

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 9:23 am
A sick child in house changes the whole financial situation for everyone even when working. Sometimes you just can't continue doing what you were doing till now, need to learn to accept help, or just accept that things will not be the same. If you are afraid what people will say about changing your lifestyle, they should understand that there is a situaton. My husband was unemployed for over a year due to taking care of med needs of dc. We pushed through with using our savings or accepting help. It was murder hard because being on receiving end was very degrading, being that we used to be on giving end before. We had no choice, Hashem makes the plan & it's part of nisayon to sometimes change gears & accept what Hashem wants you to do in given situation. Yes, your husband might havta leave kollel or accept help. Beware even if he start something new he might not be able to give his attention fully to it, if he has to be involved in the medical aspects as well.Hugs to you! Hatzlacha & Refuah shleimah!

blessedjmom

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:39 am
One poster responded about tutoring- and that is fantastic advice!
I know quite a few families here- living off just that. Learning /chavrusa with American/European bochurim for $$$. And it can rlly pay nicely.
I'd say look into that! Your husband can keep up his learning and make money while at it.
You can pm if you'd like...

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:49 am
I don't have time to answer individual posts right now, but DH just told me that there was a sign up in kollel today about a tutoring job in the local high school 4 nights a week. I hadn't even had a chance to suggest that he look for a tutoring job before he told me this. He called today and they'll be in touch with him tomorrow, but this may be a good start.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:11 am
blessedjmom wrote:

I know quite a few families here- living off just that. Learning /chavrusa with American/European bochurim for $$$.

Really living off just tutoring? Or supplementing their support? I think you'd need to tutor 4 hours a day @ 150nis per hour (good luck) before you could support a family (the basics). Average charedi wage is about 50nis per hour, so that would be 12 hours per day. Realistic?

What about pensions & chagim and who knows what else? And sick days, and vacation pay? There is no financial safety net in this situation

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:21 am
The online business sounds promising... maybe he can hook up with others in the same line of business
Or tutoring-
Can he take on more evening jobs outside your neighborhood?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:25 am
I paid 10 years ago in America private rebbe who was In kollel, just to learn any random extras with my child $30 per hr

peacenine

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 11:36 am
If you're interested, there's a book "First Steps to Wealth" which teaches in very practical steps how to be financially independent regardless of your situation. The author was homeless and is now a multimillionaire. You could get the book on the website for free (you just pay shipping) www.firststepstowealth.com
Best of luck with whatever your do!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 12:13 pm
He could be a Rebbe in a school. Lots of kollelniks do that.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 12:54 pm
peacenine wrote:
If you're interested, there's a book "First Steps to Wealth" which teaches in very practical steps how to be financially independent regardless of your situation. The author was homeless and is now a multimillionaire. You could get the book on the website for free (you just pay shipping) www.firststepstowealth.com
Best of luck with whatever your do!
Im not the OP, but have you yourself read this book? Is it actually helpful?

BH5745

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe its time for DH to leave kollel & get a full time job.

OP addressed this suggestion already. Because her husband gets a kollel paycheck, this wouldn't help.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe its time for DH to leave kollel & get a full time job.

I wanted to say this , but was afraid I would be cyber-lynched....

So I will say

DITTO DITTO DITTO

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
It wouldn't pay for him to lose his kollel paycheck for the extra I would be making by working those hours. I also have a nursing newborn, so I would still have to take lots of breaks throughout the day.
Amother, but if your husband left kollel, he could possibly look for a full time job that would definitely pay more than the kollel stipend.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:02 pm
Sounds like your options are limited as a nursing mother and your family needs. So basically your husband needs to work. And not just side stuff. You were only able to be in this kollel lifestyle so long because of the check you were getting. Now that your aren’t getting it anymore seems the only way is that your husband gets a job.

violet1

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:14 pm
No advice about extra income, but if you're really need to replace your fridge and don't have funds right now, look on agora.co.il. People give things away on that site, and also the Facebook group פשפשוק-למסירה. Good luck!

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 1:58 am
I'll be honest, based on what you say here I have no idea how you've been making it until now Confused .

Is it that you earn a fairly high salary? If so, it might be more efficient for you to take on more work rather than your dh. Maybe he could do housework at night to allow you to focus more on paid work?

Also, consider whether sending one child out (the one who can be in daycare) would help you get more work done.

Other than that, I think him finding tutoring work sounds like a nice solution. Small handyman type jobs are also an option, if he's good at that kind of thing (painting walls, assembling furniture, deep cleaning, etc).

I hesitate to suggest this, but if your older kids aren't already overwhelmed by school and other responsibilities, maybe they could earn some of their own money. If they aren't doing that already. Eg by babysitting or running a chug for kids. The money would be their money, not family money, but it might reduce your stress knowing that your older kids aren't deprived despite the family budget issues.

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 2:01 am
amother wrote:
It wouldn't pay for him to lose his kollel paycheck for the extra I would be making by working those hours. I also have a nursing newborn, so I would still have to take lots of breaks throughout the day.

Are you sure? Sorry, I know that's patronizing, but - kollel paycheck is almost always less than minimum wage, no?

If your work is something you can't do while nursing, is pumping milk an option? I know it's hard for a few reasons, but a lot of working moms do this successfully.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:26 am
Can your husband increase his simcha business by advertising and traveling or if your small community?
Let's say he is a one man band, photographer, videographer, etc. in a smaller city, can he travel (obviously but too far, but within reason) and would it be kdai for him to work in Ym, BB, Kiryat sefer...?
if it's a job he does with the charedi community, branch out into dati leumi, etc?

Or maybe add something bein hasedorim?

Hatzlacha rabba!

You are amazing to have been in kollel for so many years. That is so choshuv! I mean this sincerely. Halevai my husband could be.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:43 am
OP, if you are not making it now, how will you manage making weddings and so on?

It sounds like your husband potentially has a good parnasah between both jobs, he just needs more time. Maybe he should consult with a respected rav if he should leave or stay in kollel.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics