Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Subbing in a rough class - help!

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:50 am
As a favor to a friend (she's in a real pinch and I owe her...) I'm subbing one of her classes most of next week, 10 year old boys, two periods a day. I have taught and subbed before, but I'm more worried about this class. I know a lot of good "tricks" but my worry is that I won't even be heard long enough to get any through. My usual strategies would be strict face/voice, tickets for prizes, games at the end of the period if they behave for the first part, things like that.

I went to the school to pick up some materials and I saw this class with both the friend I'm subbing for, and with another teacher. They were HORRIBLE. The teachers seemed to be handling them all the right ways but they were just all over the place. Literally. Manhandling each other, not always in friendly ways, not listening to the teacher, being rude, jumping around, throwing things around, and the NOISE!

I can't believe what I got myself into but I really can't back out now. What can I do within the first few minutes to make this not a disaster? I am pretty sure I can win them over with games and prizes if we get started on the right foot but I can't pull out games and prizes if they're jumping all over each other and yelling rude things at me.

HELP!

familyfirst

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:17 am
Have the principal walk yiu in and stay for a bit. At least till you feel you've got things under control

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:26 am
Thanks, I will ask if that's a possibility. I think the principal also teaches classes so I hope he's able to do that. It might work.

pleaseandthankyou

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:39 am
Walk in with a can of soda. Tell them you'll raffle it off. Give out tickets while teaching. works magic usually.
Since you'll only be subbing for a short period of time, focus more on preparing material that will pique their interest vs. the standard curriculum. For example, a dramatic article . Boys love real stories. Holocaust, 9/11
Or any true stories. Some titles "Amazing rescues"
"ten true animal rescues"
"The night crossing " - holocaust book on their level..
Play hangman on the board to introduce new vocabulary. I find they love hangman.
You can bring in manikins and teach CPR. They will be glued!! Most important be confident and believe in yourself!
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics