Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
WWYD? Where to live....

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:58 am
We currently do not live in a community...we have been trying to move back into a community for awhile, financially we just haven't been able to move. My husband's boss has offered to help us move BUT to the area near where he works, which has a VERY limited frum presence...like a chabad family and their kids....there is a large non frum Jewish community there but no schools. We currently homeschool and I really want to send my kids to religious school but the closest would be an hour away if we moved there...it's an hour away now too but from a different direction.
Where we live now there are NO Jews at all. So if we moved near my husband's work we would at least have a Jewish presence. The ability to go to shul on shabbos and YT, easier access to kosher foods, mikvah, etc.
And we'd be renting so it's not like we would be stuck there forever...but I just don't know what to do.
Wait it out to try to move to a frum community, in a location which has zero Jewish presence or move to a non-frum community with a super teeny frum presence and figure it out from there.
Another benefit is that my husband would be minutes from work another con would be that would be somewhat indebted to his boss....which...is meh.

so WWYD?

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:18 am
Are there any other options, like a city with a somewhat larger frum community (and school) that's say 30 minutes away from his job? I personally couldn't imagine living in a place with no other frum Jews, or even just 1-2 families, and it would be really hard for my kids' social development and well-being.

mo5

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:23 am
Mikvah kosher food and a Shul are pretty important benefits. A husband who’s home earlier from work is pretty good too (especially if you’re homeschooling)
There may be other Shomer shabbos people at the Chabad house, perhaps older ones who are baalei teshuva and don’t move because they have no young kids.
Having even one other frum family to visit on a long shabbos afternoon is so worthwhile!

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:32 am
doctorima wrote:
Are there any other options, like a city with a somewhat larger frum community (and school) that's say 30 minutes away from his job? I personally couldn't imagine living in a place with no other frum Jews, or even just 1-2 families, and it would be really hard for my kids' social development and well-being.

no, there is nothing in between.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:34 am
mo5 wrote:
Mikvah kosher food and a Shul are pretty important benefits. A husband who’s home earlier from work is pretty good too (especially if you’re homeschooling)
There may be other Shomer shabbos people at the Chabad house, perhaps older ones who are baalei teshuva and don’t move because they have no young kids.
Having even one other frum family to visit on a long shabbos afternoon is so worthwhile!

I agree with the first paragraph. Which is why I am considering it although I am torn on what to do for the kids having a social life.
There are no other frum famiies besides the chabad family in the area. We know that for sure.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:48 am
Can you visit the community for a shabbos? That would give you a better sense of what it's like. Also, if your kids don't get along (or even just don't "click") with the kids from the couple of frum families that are there, that might affect your decision.

Also, just wondering - would you feel comfortable socializing, or having your kids socialize, with the non frum people in the community? if you would, then you have a lot more playdate options. If not, then maybe this isn't the right move for you.

Hatzlacha

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 5:22 am
Why can't you live in the community with a school and have your husband commute an hour a day?

If that is impossible due to finances then moving to the chabad house community is definitely better then where you are now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics