Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Old Monsey Thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:36 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
This thread is a blast and most of my memories are listed!

I remember when royal baby was next to One Stop Kosher as of course was Monsey Housewares.

Next Center over had Nagel’s where somehow most of the items were always in boxes...

Van Riper had a peacock I used to love. I watched those birds while my mother shopped.

But when we didn’t get there, we headed for Remsen Farms which closed eventually in some scandal the adults never wanted to talk about.

Meat Showcase was owned by the Blaus and was always freezing.

Eidensohn’s was the go to for clothes

Malka Litzman aka Monsey Shoes was the funnest fitter.

I remember when the Seidenfelds opened Trading Post then moved away and sold it.

Sabels made the absolute best 3 bean salad.

Ooooh Tuv Taam (aka Klein’s) pizza in its original location on Main St had stools I loved but my fave was the mixed ice cream.

Frank’s bakery was delicious and if any of you had Rebbetzin Goldwurm a”h she told us Mrs Frank would allow community women to come Wed and Thurs to take challah especially kimpiturins who had no koach to bake but wouldn’t want to miss the Mitzvah

Hatzlocha had Glaubers in the back that also had both a bakery and a take out staffed on Fridays by all the Glauber teen grandkids

Greenbaum’s pharmacy was the only one

The two Israeli’s who owned the car repair on corner Main and grove: Abe and??? Were pretty friendly with us and our cars.

I remember Mendlowitz was near where the former Amazing Savings lot was.

There was an ice cream store for a short period in Wesley but it was too much of a schlep for us.

I used Dr Levine too!! And then Dr Wertzberger when he was on 59 and then Dr Gorelick! Who remembers him and his DIL Risa?

Dr Menken was my orthodontist even though most of my friends used Dr Schneeweiss!

Rickle’s was the weirdest store. It was huge but they never had what you needed.

I used to volunteer at Northern Metropolitan and Morah Blanca of my fave Mitzvah Treep Triplets would come feed patients.

I remember that bench on Blauvelt.

What did you do for day camp in the summer? Did you go to LaRuach? Sunny Hills? Or did you attend backyard day camps like me? The Wosners had one for 5&6 and before that everyone went to the Waldman/Roseman one.

Ok and here is a goodie: who remembers the Bazars?!!!!!
Bais Dovid & Bais Rochel had one and Satmar did one for 2-3 years

OMG. Too many memories here for me to process.

We actually got shoes by Weingartens because they are relatives. I remember when they first had their store in the basement of their house, on Edwin Lane (I think). Then they moved to a store next to Kosher Town. Anyone remember Kosher Town?

Clothing was Eidensohn's or F&F, later on. I remember for a short while there was a fancier store that opened up, La Petit something or other, and I begged my mother to take me there. No go. We didn't spend that kind of $ on clothes.

Did someone mention Masters, OMG. I used to get Shabbos shoes there.

The Baazars were the highlight of my year. We could convince my mother to get us everything from toys to new sweaters to snacks to whatnot. Plus you met all your friends there. On the last night everything was slashed down to nil.

I went to various daycamps over the years. Anyone remember Morah Rivka? And there was always a daycamp on Elyon Road, or on Blauvelt. We went to various ones. My younger sisters went to La Ruach, and I even sent my daughter one summer for a bit - she stayed at my parents for a change of scene. Anyone worked in Camp Teenoke?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
There was a pool that we used to go swimming at every summer. We would meet everybody we knew there. Can't remember what it was called.

Dunno if same but we went to one down Old Nyack Tpk, I think it was on Camp Hill Road. One year there was a daycamp there run by RCDC and we just called the place rockdock for the initials. You got a family pass and showed it, or one year we had punches.

Later on there was this place run by Shalhevet, or that's what we called it. The grounds had all sorts of stuff, like paddle ball, but who bothered when there was SWIMMING, which trumped everything for us.

I also remember that one summer I went to the daycamp at Elmwood, run by the township. There were Chinese and Hispanic girls in my group. The program was free, and lots of frum kids went. We played sports, did mosaics, had music, etc...

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:27 am
The pool on Old Nyack was Fisher’s omg best memories

Day camp on Elyon— I went to a Friedman/Weiss day Camp there

I rememyMorah Rivka— she was friendly with my mother. Her husband just wrote a book about her

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
The lingerie shop next to Eidensohns, what was it called? That's where all of my friends get our first bras.

The shoemaker on Main St - he looked so old we could never believe he was still alive. We had him put taps on every pair of shoes we got.

There was a pool that we used to go swimming at every summer. We would meet everybody we knew there. Can't remember what it was called.

I don’t remember that lingerie store but I remember Agi’s where Le Chocolat is today and Be Feminine somewhere in the Mandarin shopping strip.

Was the pool Follmans? On Morris Rd I think.

I worked at Teenoke but like 15 years ago.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:08 am
Wasn't it Taubers that delivered the milk and bread in the morning if you had the silver box on your stoop?
Anyone remember Dr. Rush?
The pool by Blueberry Hill apartments on Route 306? we were always trying to look thru the trees..
The merry -go- round that viola Park used to have or the real monkey bar where many would break their hands or feet jumping down?
The turning bear that used to be standing by the car dealership that used to be where Care 365 is now?
The strike that the nurses at Northern Metropolitan made and held it across 'Chareidim' shull on the corner of Phyllis terrace and Maple Ave? I think they chanted; Who stinks? Klein/Stein!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone remember the Kranes, Tante Ruth and Uncle Robert on Saddle River Rd? They were this incredible couple who never had children of their own, so everyone called them Tante and Uncle. I used to think that they belonged to MY family, until I mentioned their names in school once and half my class knew them, they all had Tante Ruths hand knitted baby blankets and quite a few of them used to go visit them like we did.

Yes. I have a blanket she knitted for me! I have a vague memory of visiting her when I was about 3-4

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:28 am
My mother talks about the time when Roman Blvd/Edwin Lane opened onto Walter Drive. It was so scary because now cars could get through from Maple Avenue!!!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:31 am
ShishKabob wrote:
The strike that the nurses at Northern Metropolitan made and held it across 'Chareidim' shull on the corner of Phyllis terrace and Maple Ave? I think they chanted; Who stinks? Klein/Stein!

I don't remember what grade I was in, but I remember we used to play Strike at recess time. We'd stand in lines and yell

What do you want CONTRACT!
When do you want it NOW!

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
I don't remember what grade I was in, but I remember we used to play Strike at recess time. We'd stand in lines and yell

What do you want CONTRACT!
When do you want it NOW!

yeah, this was the first part of the chant and I wrote the second part. it was fun

thanks

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 1:16 pm
There was swimming in Gartners off Old Nyack turnpike. It was an old hotel bought out by Taubers builders. Remember that?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 1:33 pm
the mikvah behind the old YSV. when I got married my mother took me there. my mother didn't cover her hair. the chassidish attendant asked me if I had learned the laws of Taharas HaMishpacha and my mother said to her - she's SOOO religious, can you imagine she's even going to cover her hair!

rubenfeld's hotel, alto music, waldbaum's, korvette's, drug mart house deliveries, little shop around the corner...

love, love, love this thread!

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:18 pm
Jerusalem pizza had a bike hanging from the ceiling and a raffle prize. Did anyone ever win?? They also gave out free mini ice cream.

Who remembers the toll booth at the corner of Ellish and Maple Ave?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 3:41 pm
Alto Music reminds me of my amazing piano teacher, Mrs. Edith Beer A"H. I took lessons with her for several years. A 1/2 hour lesson was $3. When I was older I took an hour's lesson. I still have some old tapes of her playing. She was an amazing woman who brought the gift of music to so many of us.

I still remember the candy she would give on my way out.....

thanks

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:31 pm
Where was rubenfelds hotel?
Who remembers a bike shop in Wesley shopping center?
There was a kids shoe store there too, about 15 years ago.
Remember when we all used the mikvah on maple leaf? Long lines with huge wait times.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
the mikvah behind the old YSV. when I got married my mother took me there. my mother didn't cover her hair. the chassidish attendant asked me if I had learned the laws of Taharas HaMishpacha and my mother said to her - she's SOOO religious, can you imagine she's even going to cover her hair!

rubenfeld's hotel, alto music, waldbaum's, korvette's, drug mart house deliveries, little shop around the corner...

love, love, love this thread!

It was so interesting to read about the fire at Rubinfelds hotel and hear about that hotel through Jerry Rubinfeld the appliance repair guy. I read that story in either the Ami or Mishpacha Pesach time.
I had no idea that the famous "Monsey Park" for those interesting folk was once a Jewish hotel.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
Alto Music reminds me of my amazing piano teacher, Mrs. Edith Beer A"H. I took lessons with her for several years. A 1/2 hour lesson was $3. When I was older I took an hour's lesson. I still have some old tapes of her playing. She was an amazing woman who brought the gift of music to so many of us.

I still remember the candy she would give on my way out.....

Alto Music still exists. They are down route 59 closer to Suffern.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
Dunno if same but we went to one down Old Nyack Tpk, I think it was on Camp Hill Road. One year there was a daycamp there run by RCDC and we just called the place rockdock for the initials. You got a family pass and showed it, or one year we had punches.

Yes, I remember we called it rockdock.

Quote:
Anyone worked in Camp Teenoke?

Was Teenoke the camp in Bais Yaakov high school? I worked in that camp.

Quote:
You can't remember the Kranes without remembering Rabbi and Rebbetzin Goldwurm. They were so devoted to the Kranes. I used to see Rebbetzin G walking to Tante Ruth every morning, when I was waiting for my school bus. Like early - before 8.

Can't forget the Goldwurms, Rebbetzin Goldwurm was my hero. I haven't met anyone like her since, she was the real thing, a real tzadekes. And she taught in both BY and BR high schools, so we were all lucky enough to have her.

Quote:
Remember when we all used the mikvah on maple leaf? Long lines with huge wait times.

I was luck enough to have Rebbetzin Schwab be my mikvah attendant when I went before my wedding. She opened up for me during the day and she gave me a beautiful brocha.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 8:33 am
amother wrote:
I was luck enough to have Rebbetzin Schwab be my mikvah attendant when I went before my wedding. She opened up for me during the day and she gave me a beautiful brocha.

Me too! I actually had to go the day of my wedding. She took me to a Mikvah in the College Road area, as it was fairly new at the time. It was a beautiful experience for me.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics