Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need additional income to afford DS's tuition--any ideas?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:28 pm
flmommy wrote:
Can you donate your services to the mesivta for an extra break in tuition? Offer to write the weekly /monthly newsletter or be in charge of something for a bigger break.

I second this...it shows that you really do need a "break" and I would think they can give you a small job and reduce the tuition by 1K for you.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
the person I asked said she teaches at University of Phoenix. You have to have a masters in the subject area they need teachers for. It tells you the opening right on their site.
Don't know if you have a masters degree or not but that's the info.

Thanks for asking her. I went online and you're correct, they have all the openings listed. Although I have enough years of teaching experience and the right administrative certifications I'm still missing the 5 years component. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:25 am
What about Dr. Shaniks office? I know they don't pay so well, but I heard that they are always looking to fill the weird times like motzei Shabbos. I know someone who works there - should I try to find out more?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:57 am
Can your DS cut hair and tie tzitzis to contribute? I had a work/study thing in school in which I tidied up some classrooms in exchange for a reduction in tuition. (Sweeping and straightening the chairs, cleaning the board and desk)

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 10:38 am
Join the club.Extra therapy and tutors are so costly but so important. Im hyperventilating ... oops editing. I thought it was for some private appointment

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 11:18 am
groisamomma wrote:
Thanks for asking her. I went online and you're correct, they have all the openings listed. Although I have enough years of teaching experience and the right administrative certifications I'm still missing the 5 years component. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

I always find it's worth applying for these jobs even if you don't meet every single qualification. You never know.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

InnerMe

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:57 pm
ahuva06 wrote:
I just want to say kol hakavod to you for going the extra mile for your son's hatzlocha. It should be a zechus for you!

This!
I am so inspired by this thread.
Hatzlacha in your job search!

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:04 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
What about Dr. Shaniks office? I know they don't pay so well, but I heard that they are always looking to fill the weird times like motzei Shabbos. I know someone who works there - should I try to find out more?

I have a friend who works there, too. Good idea, I'll text her to find out. Thanks for the suggestion!

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:06 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Can your DS cut hair and tie tzitzis to contribute? I had a work/study thing in school in which I tidied up some classrooms in exchange for a reduction in tuition. (Sweeping and straightening the chairs, cleaning the board and desk)

Firstly, he's out from 7 am-10 pm S-Th and until 2 on Fri so he wouldn't have when to contribute. I don't want to interrupt his routine and he b''h helps tons around the house when he is home.

Second, I would never want him to know that the additional work is for his tuition--he's the type to feel guilty and that's not what I want. Let him think it's for some other expense (trust me, there's plenty here Very Happy)

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:09 pm
smileforamile wrote:
I always find it's worth applying for these jobs even if you don't meet every single qualification. You never know.

So maybe I should try...the problem is that the position entails supervising candidates for educational administration--something I just completed myself 3 years ago, but I've never worked in that capacity (except my 2-year internship but that doesn't count). It's not likely they'll hire someone to supervise their peers.

I did call TTI (Raizel Reit) to see if that will work. I used to give workshops to frum teachers in my specific subject area so maybe she has a need for it in one of her programs.

Thank you for responding!

jmom1

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:38 pm
What about checking luach.com, collive.com and other places ppl post job ads?

One possibility - https://www.collive.com//newcf.....tid=6

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but it's part-time and remote

Lots of new jobs posted regularly too

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 6:53 pm
In some areas boys are not learning secular studies so well & some moms would pay privately for their boys to learn the English lang well. P3 or title one tutors get paid from govt. Res-hab. Shadows. Fun-school for Sunday for bored kids. KRIAH tutors. Prepare a curriculum or learning program for a school. Telemarketing from home. Help with homework, school projects for students or school. Writing at home like play scripts, songs, poems, articles, thank you notes, dedications, speeches....

groisamomma

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:34 am
Okay ladies, back to the drawing board for me! What do you think of this one? Preferably from mothers that used this type of weekend service, and even more preferable if you did so in Lakewood.

My oldest DD and I are strongly considering the weekend babysitting idea. We have no babies so each child would easily get their own individual attention and DD is extremely responsible with babies and has lots of good references. We agreed that while the responsibility is mine, she would receive a nice cut for lending a hand. Each of us can take off one Friday per month so if necessary we can ocassionally offer a Thursday night drop-off option. I can babysit until Sunday night. Here are my questions:

1) Lakewood amothers, is there even a need for it? If yes, what is the target audience?
2) What do you pay for Friday to Motzei Shabbos? Remember, we're just starting out.
3) Is there an extra fee for dropping off on Thursday night? How much extra do we charge for Sunday? Or is it self-understood that Thurs-Sun is included?
3) Are the rates different for different age children? Babies are more high-maintenance than kids who don't need diaper changes.
4) We prefer to have only one child at a time, but what if someone needs a babysitter for more than 1 child? Is there an extra charge per child? Or is it per family?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help!!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:20 am
Hatzlacha and I really hope it works!

I have hired post seminary girls for babysitting in my house. One child was in diapers and the rest were older. The 24 hour fee was $120, but this was like 2 years ago . Also, the kids were out at school/camp during the day. I did not pay per child. Maybe you can have a basic fee for up to 4 kids and more beyond that? I dont know, its just a thought.

Also, instead of running an ad in a publication which may get lost in the magazine and not make you stand out, maybe you can call the Lakewood Courier, which distributes all the magazines in town. You can have a flyer printed which would go out to 14,000 plus homes and give you good exposure.

Another idea is to post signs at local daycare centers. Those parents are young and often need sitters if they go on vacation.

keym

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
Hatzlacha and I really hope it works!

I have hired post seminary girls for babysitting in my house. One child was in diapers and the rest were older. The 24 hour fee was $120, but this was like 2 years ago . Also, the kids were out at school/camp during the day. I did not pay per child. Maybe you can have a basic fee for up to 4 kids and more beyond that? I dont know, its just a thought.

Also, instead of running an ad in a publication which may get lost in the magazine and not make you stand out, maybe you can call the Lakewood Courier, which distributes all the magazines in town. You can have a flyer printed which would go out to 14,000 plus homes and give you good exposure.

Another idea is to post signs at local daycare centers. Those parents are young and often need sitters if they go on vacation.

I don't know about prices. But I'm thinking you can get permission to hang signs by CHEMED, Dr Shanik's office, the pharmacies, etc.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:26 am
If you are comfortable/knowledgeable about children with special needs, they pay for providing respite care over weekends. Maybe call the Special Children's Center and ask about it.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:40 pm
I like the Center idea. I'll call them. That might just work out. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also like the idea of sending out the courier advertisement, I just need to get a clearer picture of how this will work from people that do it. Anyone have a lead?

Thanks again ladies!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics