Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Personality type for a photographer

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:15 pm
I really want to open a photography business. I know I can produce beautiful photos.

My question is, I don't have that outgoing personality that I see other photographers have. I have normal social skills, I know how to have a professional conversation. I'm just not bubbly and own the room the moment I walk in. I am happy, friendly, patient but I have a quieter personality, which in general I don't mind.. I'm just a bit nervous investing in this business without this type of personality.

I'm not looking to photograph large events (like weddings). Rather regular family pictures type of thing.. at least for the beginning.

What do you think? Do you think my "lack of bubbliness" (excuse the made up word) will have a negative effect on such a business?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 6:17 pm
Go for it! It's the skill that counts in photography . I have a few friends not bubbly at all and are professional photographers. Sometimes little kids cooperate more with them because they are so soft, calm , quiet, soothing and gentle

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:02 pm
Can you hire a bubbly high school / college student to help you with the photo shoots?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:35 pm
I for one would love to use a photographer without that bubbly/ goofy personality. People like that bug me.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 8:55 pm
When choosing a photographer I look at the sharpness and quality of the prints, not on the type of lady the photographer is. Just go for it!

tachles

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:00 pm
I’ll reiterate that skill is more important and marketing yourself is a skill you can work on but not all marketing has to do with owning a room..
It can be good advertisement, good word of mouth from honestly good work you’ve done , good online presence (website, social media), and good incentives to try you out (packages for cheap so the word of mouth starts )
Also , a lot of baby photographers seem to be doing the same thing, I’d think developing a unique style that sets you apart is so important

oliveoil

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
I for one would love to use a photographer without that bubbly/ goofy personality. People like that bug me.

Me too.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:13 pm
My husband is by nature very shy. However, he has become a very successful photographer. He's good with the kids and ppl feel comfortable around him. He has really gotten more ppl friendly since becoming a photographer. So I think you should go for it!
Also btw people hate when photographers are loud and overbearing and when they boss the baal simcha around.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:08 pm
I'm that kind of photographer you describe. I don't jump up and down to get a kid to laugh, I'm too shy to begin acting like a clown to get everyone into the right mood. But I have many qualities that cover up for that, my patience, sensitivity and clients are always happy b"h and the pictures come out great!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:13 am
I don't think the lack of a super outgoing personality is a deterrent to being a successful photographer.

My own personality is far more in the normal than outgoing range of the personality spectrum, and I'm a successful business photographer B"H.

Success in this industry is a result of strong business and marketing skills; successful businesses are a result of 80% good business skills and 20% good Photography skills.

There are many photographers who produce gorgeous art who hardly book any clients; while others produce mediocre work and earn a great living.

The photography skills are easier for artistic people to master than the business and entrepreneurial skills.

Hatzlachah rabbah!

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 6:11 am
thank you all for the boost of encourgment.

what would you say is the best marketing? Start an instagram account? Wouldn't clients mind posting their personal pictures up to the public?

I've seen many photographers post all their pictures, but do you have to ask your client first or it's just assumed?

So as I asked before-- what would you say is the best marketing platform I should go with?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 8:21 am
amother wrote:
thank you all for the boost of encourgment.

what would you say is the best marketing? Start an instagram account? Wouldn't clients mind posting their personal pictures up to the public?

I've seen many photographers post all their pictures, but do you have to ask your client first or it's just assumed?

So as I asked before-- what would you say is the best marketing platform I should go with?

Marketing is a huge subject!

Study it!

Of course, I have all my clients sign a model release form, so that I can use their photos. Some clients are private and do not sign.

It really depends on your target demographic.

Many of my clients come via SEO or word of mouth referrals. Note that 75% of my clients are not Jewish.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
I really want to open a photography business. I know I can produce beautiful photos.

My question is, I don't have that outgoing personality that I see other photographers have. I have normal social skills, I know how to have a professional conversation. I'm just not bubbly and own the room the moment I walk in. I am happy, friendly, patient but I have a quieter personality, which in general I don't mind.. I'm just a bit nervous investing in this business without this type of personality.

I'm not looking to photograph large events (like weddings). Rather regular family pictures type of thing.. at least for the beginning.

What do you think? Do you think my "lack of bubbliness" (excuse the made up word) will have a negative effect on such a business?

I am a photographer, I am an introvert and it's actually painful for me to be around people. But I love photography so I decided to go for it anyway. Over time it became easier for me and people probably think I'm bubbly now. If you can do the job well it doesn't matter what your personality is, use your strengths and you will be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics