Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Amazon order question

bzmom.

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:00 pm
Hi
Can I order something prime on Friday knowing it will arrive on shabbos? Halachically.

Optione

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:29 pm
Unless you're ordering it immediately before candle lighting, it's possible that the package will come earlier than expected on Friday instead of Shabbos.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:48 pm
It depends on the wording. Some say guaranteed BY and some say guaranteed delivery date. Do you mean ordering on Friday to know it will come on Shabbos? That's what I thought you meant. Unless tzorech gadol, the poskim I use say not to. BUT if they don't guarantee it will be on Shabbos (e.g. they say guaranteed by a date and it can come earlier), then it's fine.

bzmom.

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 9:54 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It depends on the wording. Some say guaranteed BY and some say guaranteed delivery date. Do you mean ordering on Friday to know it will come on Shabbos? That's what I thought you meant. Unless tzorech gadol, the poskim I use say not to. BUT if they don't guarantee it will be on Shabbos (e.g. they say guaranteed by a date and it can come earlier), then it's fine.

Thanks, yes prime next day is usually a definate next day delivery from my experience.
Guess I'll have to wait until Sunday. Just need this particular item by Tuesday so was trying to sort early.

librarygirl

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:01 pm
I asked a shaila and was told yes

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:15 pm
Word for word what I asked my rav:

Is it halachically ok to order something online (ie Amazon prime) if there is an extremely likely possibility that it will be delivered on Shabbos?

Answer: Yes, as long as you don't specifically request Shabbos delivery.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:17 pm
bzmom. wrote:
Thanks, yes prime next day is usually a definate next day delivery from my experience.
Guess I'll have to wait until Sunday. Just need this particular item by Tuesday so was trying to sort early.

If you do it now, it says definitely on Shabbos, no 2 day option?

Meaning, if it says will come BY Shabbos, that's ok --- you're not asking for it, but to ask for it to come ON Shabbos, that's a problem. If they guarantee by Sunday and they give it Shabbos, that's also ok.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:35 pm
I was told depends on the time of year and the wording. When it seems that it will 99.9% come on Shabbos, and you know that, then I was told better not to.
Guaranteed delivery ON Saturday by 8pm, when shabbos is over at 8:30- no.
Guaranteed delivery on Saturday by 8pm when shabbos is over 6:30- yes, a chance it won't come on Shabbos.
BY Saturday, is ok.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 10:36 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If you do it now, it says definitely on Shabbos, no 2 day option?

Meaning, if it says will come BY Shabbos, that's ok --- you're not asking for it, but to ask for it to come ON Shabbos, that's a problem. If they guarantee by Sunday and they give it Shabbos, that's also ok.

Good point, that too. It's not about coming on Shabbos, more of knowing before hand that it is intended to come exclusively on Shabbos.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
Word for word what I asked my rav:

Is it halachically ok to order something online (ie Amazon prime) if there is an extremely likely possibility that it will be delivered on Shabbos?

Answer: Yes, as long as you don't specifically request Shabbos delivery.

This is a different shaila. That's when you don't specify that you want it to come on Shabbos and there is no guarantee it will. You are asking if you order something and aren't told it will definitely come on Shabbos but it in all likelihood will, if that's ok. The answer is yes because you are not asking for it to come on Shabbos and they are choosing to deliver it then.

In the scenario when you are asking for Amazon to do work (give you a package) with the mutual expectation that it will come on Shabbos (you confirmed you want the Shabbos delivery) unless there is a real tzorech, it's really better not to.

bzmom.

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:53 pm
Tnx for all your responses. I'm not sure about you, but where I'm from the point of Prime is that you receive the item next day guaranteed, unless stated otherwise. So it's a definate no according to all your answeres. Thanks for clarifying.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:17 pm
Prime is usually two days but sometimes comes earlier, depending on the language. Subscribe and Save is always a "by" time, and Prime one day is next day but as OutATowner mentioned, the time comes into play as well. My deliveries usually say by 8 PM or 9 PM (depending how they are coming, we live near a huge warehouse) and now that Shabbos is over before 8 that can affect things...but I'm glad you're all clear now Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics