Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Keto Diet NEED HELP with macros
Previous  1  2

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Oct 10 2018, 10:28 pm
It's not that precise though.
Black coffee in the morning.
2-3 hard boiled eggs or half cup of full fat cottage cheese for lunch.
About 20 olives for snack in the afternoon, most days.
Sometimes a handful of almonds, but I really try to avoid them.
Dinner is chicken, a thigh and leg. Sometimes a few chicken wings as well. and usually with about a cups worth of broccoli.
I'll often snack on olives again in the evening.
Occasionally, it'll get changed up a bit. Tuna (ready made) with cucumber for lunch or an avocado in the afternoon.
But I find boring and repetitive works well for me, esp at home/for dinner, where the biggest challenges are.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 11 2018, 7:37 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
It's not that precise though.
Black coffee in the morning.
2-3 hard boiled eggs or half cup of full fat cottage cheese for lunch.
About 20 olives for snack in the afternoon, most days.
Sometimes a handful of almonds, but I really try to avoid them.
Dinner is chicken, a thigh and leg. Sometimes a few chicken wings as well. and usually with about a cups worth of broccoli.
I'll often snack on olives again in the evening.
Occasionally, it'll get changed up a bit. Tuna (ready made) with cucumber for lunch or an avocado in the afternoon.
But I find boring and repetitive works well for me, esp at home/for dinner, where the biggest challenges are.

Thanks so much for posting
This gives me a bit more of an idea

Some posters were saying it’s wrong to have just salad for lunch.
I was using lunch more like a snack.
Perhaps I need one more snack in between

It will probably raise the calorie count closer to 1500, which is probably what I eat now, but I don’t really measure.
I wanted to lower it a bit to see if my body will release weight a little faster.

I’ll work on a new plan and post

Thanks

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for posting
This gives me a bit more of an idea

Some posters were saying it’s wrong to have just salad for lunch.
I was using lunch more like a snack.
Perhaps I need one more snack in between

It will probably raise the calorie count closer to 1500, which is probably what I eat now, but I don’t really measure.
I wanted to lower it a bit to see if my body will release weight a little faster.

I’ll work on a new plan and post

Thanks

I'd love to see your new food plan, if you decide to update your current plan.
The more I think about your plan, the more I like it. I may adopt it but replace olive oil with olives since I don't like olive oil and just add broccoli for myself for dinner sometimes. It's quite solid and perfectly in the macros.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 5:39 pm
[quote="PinkandYellow"]I'd love to see your new food plan, if you decide to update your current plan.
The more I think about your plan, the more I like it. I may adopt it but replace olive oil with olives since I don't like olive oil and just add broccoli for myself for dinner sometimes. It's quite solid and perfectly in the macros.

So I added cheddar cheese to lunch this way it’s a more substantial lunch
I may split the cheese and do 1oz for brakfast
and 1 oz for lunch

Chicken Thigh 6oz
Eggs 2
Cheddar Cheese 2oz
Olive oil 5 Tbsp
Lettuce 16 oz

Calories 1503
Fat. 126.5g. 75%
Protein 76.4g 21%
Carbs 16g 4%

Breakfast 9 am
2 scrambled eggs
1 Tbsp olive oil

Lunch 1pm
2 oz cheddar cheese
8 oz lettuce
2 Tbsp olive oil

Dinner 5 pm
8 oz lettuce
6 oz chicken thigh with skin
2 Tbsp olive oil

I can also switch out the lettuce for broccoli, spinach or cauliflower, but I’ll have to check how much I can have.
Yum, broccoli/cauliflower/spinachwith cheese for lunch

Do you think this is more reasonable?
My calories are now 1503
Will I be able to lose weight?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 6:43 pm
Yikes, do you not snack at all between meals? Aren't you hungry? Or even in the mood of a snack? I'm on a low-carb diet and don't eat all that much, but I do need more in terms of snacking. I could never see myself coping with your food plan.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
Yikes, do you not snack at all between meals? Aren't you hungry? Or even in the mood of a snack? I'm on a low-carb diet and don't eat all that much, but I do need more in terms of snacking. I could never see myself coping with your food plan.

From what I’ve learned snacking raises insulin- the fat storage hormone
I’m insulin resistant which is affecting my health and can lead to diabetes (does run in the family)
I want to lose weight.

I’ve been on keto for about 2 months.
Eating whatever whenever
In 2 months lost 10lbs

I’m going to start my eating plan and see how it goes.
If I’m hungry I guess I’ll Have to add more food to each meal.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:29 pm
I've been in ketosis on various food plans for about 18 months. I no longer count macros. I eat until satiated and do not ever eat off plan. I don't worry about fat intake. I eat incredibly well. My weight loss has slowed down but the longer I am in ketosis the better I feel. I eat 1-2 meals a day depending on whether I am hungry or not. I supplement with salt because I no longer retain water. Also, when I listen to my body and avoid things that give me cravings, I simply don't have cravings. It sounds nuts but it is true.

Its my well considered opinion that counting macros is a lot of energy and eating 75% fat that is nutritionally qualitative is VERY hard to accomplish when you in fact can be in ketosis with lower fat levels and higher protein.

Being in ketosis is not limited to 'Keto'. You can do it on Atkins (minus the garbage they sell) or just eating whatever as long as you keep your carbs low enough to be in actual ketosis. I can tell by the taste in my mouth if I did the right thing at any given meal.

I highly recommend this free site www.vinnietortorich.com . There is a PDF called intro to NSNG which is super helpful. You do need to give an email but they respect when you tell them not to send mail.

ALSO- If you are carb addicted. Dont cut calories and carbs at the same time in the beginning. Eat to get into ketosis and don't worry about your weight initially. It sounds counter intuitive, but it isn't.

Also, my A1C went from 6.4 to 5.6 and it is very common opinion today that there is really no need to be Type 2 diabetic actively when you can put it into remission just by eating this well. My random glucose is also 5.6 so you can imagine it doesn't swing much.

I started at 5 foot 2 and 315 pounds. If I can do it, you can.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:33 am
andrea levy wrote:
I've been in ketosis on various food plans for about 18 months. I no longer count macros. I eat until satiated and do not ever eat off plan. I don't worry about fat intake. I eat incredibly well. My weight loss has slowed down but the longer I am in ketosis the better I feel. I eat 1-2 meals a day depending on whether I am hungry or not. I supplement with salt because I no longer retain water. Also, when I listen to my body and avoid things that give me cravings, I simply don't have cravings. It sounds nuts but it is true.

Its my well considered opinion that counting macros is a lot of energy and eating 75% fat that is nutritionally qualitative is VERY hard to accomplish when you in fact can be in ketosis with lower fat levels and higher protein.

Being in ketosis is not limited to 'Keto'. You can do it on Atkins (minus the garbage they sell) or just eating whatever as long as you keep your carbs low enough to be in actual ketosis. I can tell by the taste in my mouth if I did the right thing at any given meal.

I highly recommend this free site www.vinnietortorich.com . There is a PDF called intro to NSNG which is super helpful. You do need to give an email but they respect when you tell them not to send mail.

ALSO- If you are carb addicted. Dont cut calories and carbs at the same time in the beginning. Eat to get into ketosis and don't worry about your weight initially. It sounds counter intuitive, but it isn't.

Also, my A1C went from 6.4 to 5.6 and it is very common opinion today that there is really no need to be Type 2 diabetic actively when you can put it into remission just by eating this well. My random glucose is also 5.6 so you can imagine it doesn't swing much.

I started at 5 foot 2 and 315 pounds. If I can do it, you can.

Thanks Andrea, I was hoping you would comment
I’m starting today with this meal plan, strict keto macros and see if it makes a difference in my weightloss, joint pain, and overall the way I feel.
For some strange reason I gained 4 lbs over Shabbat. Didn’t eat anything off my usual way of eating, EXCEPT, I might have ate something with regular inflammatory oil. Also, strangely enough, I started spotting and I’ve been in menapause for 5 months (not niddah just some type of discharge). Definitely the weight gain is something hormonal and inflammatory, so I’m not too worry.

I don’t get a taste in my mouth. The only way I know I’m in ketosis is checking with urine strips, but sometimes they don’t register in ketosis. I heard this can happen when you are using ketones efficiently. I’m thinking of getting a ketone meter but the strips are expensive.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:05 am
amother wrote:
Thanks Andrea, I was hoping you would comment
I’m starting today with this meal plan, strict keto macros and see if it makes a difference in my weightloss, joint pain, and overall the way I feel.
For some strange reason I gained 4 lbs over Shabbat. Didn’t eat anything off my usual way of eating, EXCEPT, I might have ate something with regular inflammatory oil. Also, strangely enough, I started spotting and I’ve been in menapause for 5 months (not niddah just some type of discharge). Definitely the weight gain is something hormonal and inflammatory, so I’m not too worry.

I don’t get a taste in my mouth. The only way I know I’m in ketosis is checking with urine strips, but sometimes they don’t register in ketosis. I heard this can happen when you are using ketones efficiently. I’m thinking of getting a ketone meter but the strips are expensive.

Yes, I can gain 5-8 pounds out of nowhere, but it’s not real and it goes away. I’m menopausal too so our bodies are doing some strange stuff. Just keep on, keeping on. It always resolved as long as you do! The big difference if you know where it’s coming from when it happens irrationallly. And it’s not complicated by overeating when you don’t.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:18 am
andrea levy wrote:
Yes, I can gain 5-8 pounds out of nowhere, but it’s not real and it goes away. I’m menopausal too so our bodies are doing some strange stuff. Just keep on, keeping on. It always resolved as long as you do! The big difference if you know where it’s coming from when it happens irrationallly. And it’s not complicated by overeating when you don’t.

Agree

At what point did you say, hey my joints don’t hurt any more.
I’m the past (years ago I did greysheet) it took 2 weeks, BUT
I know that since then I’ve had further joint damage and it may take a while longer.
As long as, like you said, the weight, for the most part, keeps going down in the right direction, I know that I’m getting healthier

Interesting enough my blood glucose has not changed significantly.
Not that it’s high,
But in th past year it’s higher than usual
I use to have low 70s
Now it’s high 80s and sometimes low 90s
I don’t check every day.
My A1C is pretty good, 5.0, which is kind of strange since when I had blood glucose in the low 70s it was 5.4.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
Agree

At what point did you say, hey my joints don’t hurt any more.
I’m the past (years ago I did greysheet) it took 2 weeks, BUT
I know that since then I’ve had further joint damage and it may take a while longer.
As long as, like you said, the weight, for the most part, keeps going down in the right direction, I know that I’m getting healthier

Interesting enough my blood glucose has not changed significantly.
Not that it’s high,
But in th past year it’s higher than usual
I use to have low 70s
Now it’s high 80s and sometimes low 90s
I don’t check every day.
My A1C is pretty good, 5.0, which is kind of strange since when I had blood glucose in the low 70s it was 5.4.

Your A1C is amazing! To be honest, I don’t remember when mine got better. I was in the middle of working 18 hour days so I pretty much hurt no matter what but felt great overall. Still, I am pretty sure that in the first couple of weeks it went from actual pain to just being exhausted.

My friend was able to go off the Advil she needed to get out of bed daily after two weeks. She is 60.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:55 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Your A1C is amazing! To be honest, I don’t remember when mine got better. I was in the middle of working 18 hour days so I pretty much hurt no matter what but felt great overall. Still, I am pretty sure that in the first couple of weeks it went from actual pain to just being exhausted.

My friend was able to go off the Advil she needed to get out of bed daily after two weeks. She is 60.

It does sound like a good A1C, but it doesn’t make sense with the elevated blood glucose.
Doctor wants to check it again in a few months
My cholesterol and triglycerides were high though, can’t remember exact numbers.
I hope that will improve

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
It does sound like a good A1C, but it doesn’t make sense with the elevated blood glucose.
Doctor wants to check it again in a few months
My cholesterol and triglycerides were high though, can’t remember exact numbers.
I hope that will improve

Eating low carb will improve all your numbers. You are looking for a 1:1 ratio with your tg and cholesterol. Sometimes cholesterol goes up when you are losing weight, but ultimately cholesterol really isn’t an issue as long as everything else is good.

I don’t understand how those numbers are ‘elevated’ for blood sugar unless I am completely misunderstanding something here.

That said, sometimes ppl developing t2d have weird blood sugar going on. Low carb will fix it all if you are consistent about it.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:55 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Eating low carb will improve all your numbers. You are looking for a 1:1 ratio with your tg and cholesterol. Sometimes cholesterol goes up when you are losing weight, but ultimately cholesterol really isn’t an issue as long as everything else is good.

I don’t understand how those numbers are ‘elevated’ for blood sugar unless I am completely misunderstanding something here.

That said, sometimes ppl developing t2d have weird blood sugar going on. Low carb will fix it all if you are consistent about it.

When I had a consistently low blood sugar, low 70s, I had a higher A1C. That’s what doesn’t make sense

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
When I had a consistently low blood sugar, low 70s, I had a higher A1C. That’s what doesn’t make sense

That is weird. I agree.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise