Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What stupid parenting advice have you heard lately?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:52 pm
What stupid parenting advice have you heard lately?

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:03 pm
Putting pepper in a 3 year olds mouth for biting

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:07 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Putting pepper in a 3 year olds mouth for biting

This advice actually worked for me with a few kids. 2 Flakes of pepper on the tongue. They spit it out and don't do whatever they did with their mouth again. I've done it with a dab of white vinegar on the tongue too.
In my day, they put soap in our mouths! My father did it to me and so did my kindergarten teacher. So pepper is a better choice IMO.

simba

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:33 pm
I tune out all unsolicited advice. On policy!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:38 pm
I was advised by a school psychologist to lock my 4 yr child in his room in a way that he can't get out. She said to make sure that the lock was on the outside of the door. She wanted me to lock him up every time he misbehaved and to be consistent about it. I felt horrible doing it, but was following a "professionals" advice . He kicked the door so hard so many times the entire door frame cracked off.
And then he got even smarter, climbed out the window of his room and came sauntering in through the front door of my apartment all smiles from ear to ear....never did I do that again.

Optione

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:38 pm
I can't think of any parenting advice I've gotten lately. Maybe I just don't have a great memory for these things...

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:40 pm
Stupid advice: Re. kids eating, "If they're hungry enough, they'll eat what you give them." Um, no. So much no.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
Stupid advice: Re. kids eating, "If they're hungry enough, they'll eat what you give them." Um, no. So much no.

That's what my pediatrician told me. I guess it really depends on the child. In my house nobody will let themselves be hungry. But I've watched my nephew starve for four days and not put anything in his mouth because he didn't like whatever was served.

keym

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:

Oh yeah. Especially sensory kids!

But stupid advice. I was told (by someone in an older generation) not to feed my babies closer than 4 hrs- they'll be happier. My baby didn't get that memo. She wanted to eat every hour and a half.
Also I was told that nursing babies don't need to burp- there is no way the air got in so it doesn't need to go out. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

chay

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:49 pm
My mil told me that I should send my next kid to babysitter because current baby is to attached....

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:51 pm
chay wrote:
My mil told me that I should send my next kid to babysitter because current baby is to attached....
Rolling Laughter this just touched my funny bone.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:52 pm
If you are not doing this shidduch that I am suggesting right now it means you are rejecting great offers for no good reasons.

Yes yes now you are getting offers because your child is 18 so you think you can say you still have time.
When your child will be 18.5 nobody will even call you! You know you miggt miss the right zivug if you dont act quick?!!!

Im saying this because I know your child I mean your favor and I have experience.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:56 pm
To bite my child when she bites her sister. shock
At one point I was so desparate I actually tried it. It didn't work. We just all ended up in hysterical tears.

But then I did something else. Somthing I wouldn't recommend unless you are as desparate as I was.
We had a coversation about her hurting her sister. And that from now on, ebery time she bites, no matter why or what, befkre we talk about what happened, her sister will bite her in the same spot she bit her. So that she knows and feels what it feels like.
I'd hold her down tell her sister to bite her back. And bh. Poypoypoy.

This is something we struggled with for 2 years.
Oftentimes I'd have to leave my kids in thre bath to have a cry. My poor 5 yo entire body was covered in black and blue bite marks. It was just so awful.

I is probably the deepest level of pain when you have your children whom you love to death hurt each other like that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:06 pm
Don't hold newborn baby too much. You will spoil him. Rolling Eyes

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:20 pm
After an extremely hard pregnancy, and equally hard birth my milk just never came in. I got super engorged but nothing was there. It may have been caused by a medication I had to be on when I was pregnant but not the Doctor not the highly recommended lactation consultant figured out the cause. They called me a "medical mystery." Someone told me " you know if you would keep letting the baby suck and really try eventually it will come"

mommy9

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:27 pm
To give my newborn water when she wakes up at night so she'll stop waking up

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:27 pm
To stop taking my (very anxious) daughter to see her therapist because it's a hassle and she's such a smart kid anyway, so why am I driving myself nuts. What Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:13 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I was advised by a school psychologist to lock my 4 yr child in his room in a way that he can't get out. She said to make sure that the lock was on the outside of the door. She wanted me to lock him up every time he misbehaved and to be consistent about it. I felt horrible doing it, but was following a "professionals" advice . He kicked the door so hard so many times the entire door frame cracked off.
And then he got even smarter, climbed out the window of his room and came sauntering in through the front door of my apartment all smiles from ear to ear....never did I do that again.

delete. my apologies.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Don't hold newborn baby too much. You will spoil him. Rolling Eyes

That's what my MIL told me Sad.

Some more (not from my MIL) --

Your child is too happy, something's wrong shock ...

Every single baby can nurse, no matter what (This from La Leche League). Bh I didn't listen to them.

And, yeah, I also had kids who wouldn't eat no matter what - the advice worked for my mother's kids, but my own kids got my husband's genes in there too... so no, they wouldn't eat if they were hungry.

If you're always consistent then your kids will listen to you... it's great advice -- for SOME kids.

If you don't make sure your kid does his homework every night who knows what will happen to him shock ...

If you let your child on the internet - even once - they will never be able to concentrate in class....

If you don't make your son go to shul when he's six, he'll never go to shul when he's older, and he'll turn into a bum...

Children are naturally good, so if you let them do whatever they want they'll turn out fine...

You don't want your son to be a lefty, so tie down his left hand...

crust

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
This is not the first time you've posted something absurd that you've done based on the someone in authority advising you. I think you often get bizarre advice from your rabbanim. As adults we have to use our seichel sometimes and override awful advice.

To post this comment anonymously is against this site's rules.

In the future, if you feel you need to make a poster aware of something you can use the pm feature.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics