Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Cleaning Toddler Boy's Privates

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:18 pm
What is the best way to clean my 2 yo son's privates in the bath? I usually soap my hands and wash his whole body that way including hair, body, privates. Is that typical? I feel it would be better to use a cloth so I don't touch his private part directly but I haven't gotten in the habit, and don't know if it cleans as well. Please share thoughts. Obviously I shouldn't be touching his private at all once he reaches a certain age, but not sure when that is.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:22 pm
I think a washcloth or sponge cleans better than the hands.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:25 pm
I use my soapy hands, just like I do on the rest of his body. I don't see an issue. At some point when he's ready, he'll start doing it himself.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:48 pm
I use a washcloth on the whole body from infancy. I only use hands on the hair.

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:29 am
If he’s young enough to need bathing he’s young enough to be soaped by me. Just like his sister.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
What is the best way to clean my 2 yo son's privates in the bath? I usually soap my hands and wash his whole body that way including hair, body, privates. Is that typical? I feel it would be better to use a cloth so I don't touch his private part directly but I haven't gotten in the habit, and don't know if it cleans as well. Please share thoughts. Obviously I shouldn't be touching his private at all once he reaches a certain age, but not sure when that is.

Sounds like for some reason you have too much anxiety about/are over-thinking a simple matter.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:23 am
As soon as they have the dexterity, I have the child wash their own tummy and tushie. As they get older they do more. Eventually I only do their backs.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:27 am
not so much touching is necessary all over usually once you soap kids on top and then they are sitting in soapy warm bath water

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
not so much touching is necessary all over usually once you soap kids on top and then they are sitting in soapy warm bath water

Wait: you don't scrub their lower half at all?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:44 am
To be perfectly honest, I never soaped my girls' privates for them, ever, past the diapering-with-baby-wipes stage. I raised a foster son from age 12 months to age 3 1/2 and I never did more for him either.

Kids get clean enough there by sitting in a soapy bathtub. They don't need excessive cleaning/rubbing/touching from us. I totally don't get this obsession with cleaning children's privates. I'm with Babypink here.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:44 am
Give him the washcloth and let him do it himself. He might not do as perfect a job as you would, but it will be good enough. It will also get him in the habit of making sure he's clean down there. He'll feel like a "big boy".

tigerwife

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:52 am
Sitting in a soapy bath without scrubbing does not help much with newly toilet trained toddlers who can wipe on their own but don’t do a perfect job. I totally understand OP’s quandary. OP, do you use a washcloth? It should make it easier for the toddler to clean on his own (more than the lesser friction of hands).

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 7:46 am
amother wrote:

I just soap my hands and wash my two year old. I do the same for myself I don't like washcloths and it's extra laundry. I used to use a wash cloth when he was an infant and sitting in his baby bath tub that reclines. Do what works for you. I don't think it's a problem to wash him with your hand. As he gets older he will learn to wash himself and get toilet trained and take care of cleaning himself down there.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 7:58 am
I used to rub with a bar of soap
When they got a little older I gave them the bar to wash themselves with.
And then they were on their own after I taught them
I don’t think it’s a good idea for bigger boys to touch the area, only around it

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:16 am
In all seriousness: I don't get it. Why don't y'all want to scrub your baby's privates?

simba

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:42 am
Rappel wrote:
In all seriousness: I don't get it. Why don't y'all want to scrub your baby's privates?

I'm with you. This is strange. Either gross over sexualization or obsessiveness.
Wash their privates the same easy you wash the rest of their body and don't give or any thought.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:46 am
unless the area is truly dirty and the child can't get it clean, we let our kids clean themselves. (they don't wipe themselves for #2 until they're older and have better fine motor skills, and even when they do, we'll follow up to ensure cleanliness). With bathing, they're sitting in soapy water anyway, soaking away anything.

I like using bath and shower time as an opportunity to teach our children that no one should touch their private parts, and that Mommy and Tatty will only do that when it's absolutely necessary, if they can't get themselves clean, and the doctor might but only if Mommy or Tatty are there.

Also we found out the hard way that scrubbing or even actual soap down there is not good for a little girl's private parts. Doctor said not to soap up there unless it's absolutely necessary, just rinse off in the mildly soapy bath water.

keym

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:51 am
simba wrote:
I'm with you. This is strange. Either gross over sexualization or obsessiveness.
Wash their privates the same easy you wash the rest of their body and don't give or any thought.

Agreed. Though to be honest when my first boy was born, I was concerned that I would hurt him or something. I only had younger sisters and I'd never changed a boys diaper.

Also, I do washcloths not so much for the privates but for the tush. Call me ocd, but I don't want to touch with my bare hand if my newer trained kid didn't wipe well. But even that, I mostly give him the cloth and he scrubs himself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics