Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Closets - sliding doors or regular open?

tsc3

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:37 pm
Do u prefer sliding doors on your bedroom closets or regular doors? And why?
4 or 5 door closets.
Thanks

pause

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:41 pm
I prefer regular doors. It's easier to see everything and to keep things neat. However, if any of the doors would bump into the door to the room, or if the room is very small where space is limited, I would use sliding doors.

esuss

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:46 pm
In my experience sliding doors come of the track very easily.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 3:49 pm
pause wrote:
I prefer regular doors. It's easier to see everything and to keep things neat. However, if any of the doors would bump into the door to the room, or if the room is very small where space is limited, I would use sliding doors.

This.
In our old house I took off the regular doors for sliding mirrored doors thinking the full length mirrors would be nice - and they were - but I missed the open space of regular doors.

animeme

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 4:01 pm
Sliding doors have a way of coming off their tracks when used frequently by exuberant people. I would use them if a regular door isn't usable.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 4:35 pm
animeme wrote:
when used frequently by exuberant people. .

Love your way with words!

das

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:18 pm
I just replaced all my sliding doors with regular ones. The sliding doors were very annoying because I couldn't see everything at once.

tsc3

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:33 pm
Thanks for the answers.

I'm seeing a trend... so interesting because I always thought sliding doors were sleeker and more stylish but I do hear everyone's point.

Anyone else?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:44 pm
Regular. Sliding comes off track

justforfun87

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:58 pm
As if you needed another vote for sliding doors but I hate ours. Granted they are originals but they keep falling off the track and I am afraid they are going to come crashing down on the kids.

Shuly

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:59 am
Just chiming in to agree with the above. We've had 2 closets with sliding doors and both of them broke - the doors popped off the tracks so many times that eventually they bent and wouldn't fit back on.

thanks

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:36 am
I just put a sliding door tot he entry of a walk in closet. It's installed like a barn door, so it doesn't come off the track, and if it does, the hardware is exposed, so it can easily be fixed.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:50 am
Just to be a voice of dissent, we have sliding mirror doors in all the kids rooms and I really like the way that it makes the room look bigger.

But then of course you have this problem (should be on the immediate reaction thread but I prefer to be anonymous)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4u7akRLnGyk

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:39 am
It really depends on the room as each type of door has advantages and disadvantages.

If you have the room for it, a swinging door - or two swinging doors is nice but many room configurations don't make one possible.

I have a mixture of sliding glass doors - full mirrors in my bedroom and bifold closet doors in other places.

I don't have problems with the doors coming off the track - I think that is an issue with the quality of the track system. I don't find the sliding doors to be inconvenient as I organize my closets in sections anyway so I know pretty much what section of closet I want/need to be accessed and it's certainly easy to slide a door a bit if for some reason I want to view stuff in the middle.

carrot

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:15 am
animeme wrote:
when used frequently by exuberant people.

Also love the way you put this!

OP, there are also folding/sliding doors... I'm sure there's a word for them but I don't know what it is. Will take up less space in the room.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:52 am
I second doors any time. Toddlers and crawling babies can slide the doors very easily and wreak havoc on those neat shelves and shoes and what not. Doors are much more difficult to open and I find that the closets stay much neater like that.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:55 am
Bifold doors on a track don’t take up much space ans look nice.

Purple Bee

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:00 pm
I like the look/convenience of regular doors... BUT if you live with someone that won't close the door after use... then the doors will constantly stay open. Keep that in mind!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:02 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Bifold doors on a track don’t take up much space ans look nice.

Nice compromise!

IMHO, it depends on the size of the room. If you have a large bedroom, then get the regular doors. For a small room, guest room, etc. then you want the sliding doors.

I've seen kid's rooms where the sliding doors were taken off and put into storage until the kids were old enough to know how to treat them properly. The rooms were super small, so the kids could reach their clothes easily and see exactly what was there. As older kids, they like the clean way the sliding door looked, and were careful with the tracks.

blossoming

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:16 pm
We just got two big closets with sliding doors and I really regret it, things keep getting stuck too close to the edge and block the doors from sliding. Also, the doors overlap the hanging clothes which causes those that are ironed to often get smushed.

If you aren't that tight on space, I recommend regular doors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics