Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Finish my BA if I don't know what I can use it for?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
Yep Im still here! Your doing amazingly!
Notice how you wrote geometry wasnt too hard cuz you took in highschool- now imagine pushing yourself to do this in 10 years from now miles away from highschool and your brain doesnt remember a thing! Arent you glad your doing it now Wink

Great! Glad your here!! Thanks for your ecouragement!

Very true, as it is I don't remember lots of stuff Wink

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
wow if your doing everything online that has got to be hard without the right tools or internet. How did you do the first portion of your credits without these?

So far - the geometry and these writings that you started and need to finish- how many credits will those give you ? ( I didnt do excelsior so not totally familiar with how it works. I attended actual classes at 3 credits a course. and did 6 classes a semester so I knew I was walking away with 18 credits a semester by a specific timeline. ) but not sure how it works with cleps and stuff.

Yes, it's hard. Though I don't need to work online always, what I did with the math course was download the video while connected to the hotspot. But it took a few hours.

I started it while I was single and used my mom's computer.
I need to get something now. I was thinking maybe using a mifi device might be the cheapest option.

These 2 courses will give me 6 credits.
That's the hardship with a self paced program, that you don't have that time commitment and it's really up to me to make it take however long or short I want. It would probably be a good idea to make myself some sort of time line.

Anyways, yesterday was quite busy and I only managed to watch a bit of Lesson 3. Today I'll try to do some more.

I did get the writing from my mom yesterday, and I'm happy to start that because writing is more my forte then math.

Now I just spent a while trying again to get my 2016 tax return. Financial stuff always throw me for a loop. I get easily overwhelmed by numbers and all those terms. I was able to get one step further with the IRS as far as registering, but then I got locked out, because I need to have a credit card for them to finish verifying my identity. It cannot be debit card or AMEX which are the 2 cards I have. Confused So there went that.

I decided to pay the 29.99 to turbotax to just get access to my tax return.
Called them and BH got access. Went and updated the FASFA, to reflect accurately my tax return. The question about exemptions still threw me for a loop since the place they wrote I can the amount from (Line F on 1040EZ worksheet) didn't exist on my tax return papers. After some online searching I entered "1." I hope that's right.

Resubmitted and signed FASFA. Phew.

Today I will work on the writings, and maybe also get to some math.

Thanks for all those listening.. it helps me to stay motivated to write down updates here.
If I'm boring you feel free to skip. LOL

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
When I was in college getting my BA, there was a middle age woman in one of my classes. She said that when she was a girl she started going for a degree and when she had just one class left, she stopped because she did not know what she wants to do. She had just decided that she wants a specific job that needs a degree and so she went to college to try to take that class. The college told her that the requirements has changed since so many years had passed and she had to take many classes again. She was really disappointed that she did not take that one class so many years earlier. It is great that you started again to try to finish your BA.

Great cautionary tale! Thanks for sharing.
I definitely don't want to be that woman, and have all my so far spent time, effort and $$$ go to waste.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 12:07 pm
Oh, I also downloaded all my past tax returns and saved it on google drive so now I have it properly saved and organized when I need it.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:27 am
Yay for me, some progress:
I finished chapters 3,4 and almost 5 of math.
There's actually only 7 or 8 chapters so I'm getting there. Didn't start writings yet. Either I'll start today or I'll finish math and schedule to take a test.

Woohoo. Seeing the end in sight.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:46 am
amother wrote:
Yay for me, some progress:
I finished chapters 3,4 and almost 5 of math.
There's actually only 7 or 8 chapters so I'm getting there. Didn't start writings yet. Either I'll start today or I'll finish math and schedule to take a test.

Woohoo. Seeing the end in sight.

wow! So impressed with all your progress! I dont come on imamother often so if I dont answer for a while dont get disheartened- keep going cuz your doing really well!
but when I do come on yours is the first thread I look for!
I was also so wishy washy about going to school. I had someone that pushed me and motivated me so much ( she even went down to the office for me to get me the application forms and sat with me while I filled them out, walked me through the entire process, and even asked me for updates every semester..) I eventually did it and I am so so grateful to her for that. My degree changed my pay level by alot. So trying to pass it forward.
finish that math and schedule that test! I'll be waiting to hear you did Smile
must be hard to be so self motivated with no definite deadline. maybe make yourself deadlines. like I will Try to have at least 12 credits done by November... or whatever seems realistic for you.
dont drag it out though. you have 25 credits more to do? You should be able to do that in less than a year...you can do it!!

chummus

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:49 am
Finish it! Later on you may regret it. Any degree is better than no degree.

Aylat

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 8:33 am
OP can we please be buddies and motivate each other? I am also really struggling to finish a degree (a Masters) which won't make an immediate difference to my career, but is something I really want and will be good for me to have down the line.

I did a year of prereqs, then the first year of my degree (pregnant and then with new baby and very part time job from home). Then I took a year's break because we needed for me to earn more. Then I did my second year of university - but didn't hand in any papers. That was summer 2017. A year on I have got permission to reregister on the course and my lecturers have agreed to accept my papers really late. And I'm not getting anywhere on them! Partly because it's the summer and everyone's home, but also I feel like something's holding me back from properly getting on with it. Lack of belief in myself? Fear of something - failing? succeeding? My natural procrastination talents? I don't know! But I really don't want to mess up again, I want to get this degree.

So what I have to do now:
1) 3 course papers - two regular length and one double.
2) Research dissertation.

The first I really have to hand in in the next month. (Help! Back to work full-time and chagim!) The dissertation I'm hoping to spread out over the next year - but I really need to set aside time to work on it weekly and make progress.

How are things going with you? What progress have you made? If you want to pm me we can encourage each other there.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
wow! So impressed with all your progress! I dont come on imamother often so if I dont answer for a while dont get disheartened- keep going cuz your doing really well!
but when I do come on yours is the first thread I look for!
I was also so wishy washy about going to school. I had someone that pushed me and motivated me so much ( she even went down to the office for me to get me the application forms and sat with me while I filled them out, walked me through the entire process, and even asked me for updates every semester..) I eventually did it and I am so so grateful to her for that. My degree changed my pay level by alot. So trying to pass it forward.
finish that math and schedule that test! I'll be waiting to hear you did Smile
must be hard to be so self motivated with no definite deadline. maybe make yourself deadlines. like I will Try to have at least 12 credits done by November... or whatever seems realistic for you.
dont drag it out though. you have 25 credits more to do? You should be able to do that in less than a year...you can do it!!

Hey, thank you!!!

Yeh, it does get hard cuz there's no absolute deadlines. It's a good idea to make a timeline.
I have 21 credits left.

Went away for Shabbos, and brought along laptop. Finished watching math course, and I feel like I mostly get it. YAY! I still want to do the practice examples between today & tomorrow and then schedule and take test!!!

In other great news I got a raise at my job, which will give me some more wiggle room to pay for the expenses. It isn't very significant, but every bit counts.

I am also in middle of applying to TAP which is the state federal aid. Why, for heavens sake, they need all my parents tax and income info I do not know. Frankly it's annoying to start calling my mom asking for her income, and a little meddlesome. But hey, gotta do what you gotta do. So now I need to wait for my mom to have a chance to answer all these questions.

I want to try to make a calculation of the funds I will need, so I can try to budget properly.

Here's the credit areas I still need:

3 credits in English Composition II

3 credits in Math

3 credits in Science or Math elective

1 credit in Information Literacy

3 credits in Capstone

8 credits in electives

The 3 credits in math is what I'm in the middle.
The writings I mentioned is for English Composition.
I think I'll do another math, since I think that's for me the better of the two evils. But for now let me get the first 6 out of the way and then I'll worry about the rest.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 2:18 pm
Aylat wrote:
OP can we please be buddies and motivate each other? I am also really struggling to finish a degree (a Masters) which won't make an immediate difference to my career, but is something I really want and will be good for me to have down the line.

I did a year of prereqs, then the first year of my degree (pregnant and then with new baby and very part time job from home). Then I took a year's break because we needed for me to earn more. Then I did my second year of university - but didn't hand in any papers. That was summer 2017. A year on I have got permission to reregister on the course and my lecturers have agreed to accept my papers really late. And I'm not getting anywhere on them! Partly because it's the summer and everyone's home, but also I feel like something's holding me back from properly getting on with it. Lack of belief in myself? Fear of something - failing? succeeding? My natural procrastination talents? I don't know! But I really don't want to mess up again, I want to get this degree.

So what I have to do now:
1) 3 course papers - two regular length and one double.
2) Research dissertation.

The first I really have to hand in in the next month. (Help! Back to work full-time and chagim!) The dissertation I'm hoping to spread out over the next year - but I really need to set aside time to work on it weekly and make progress.

How are things going with you? What progress have you made? If you want to pm me we can encourage each other there.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

I very much relate to the bolded sentence. They pretty much hold true for me..
Plus the fact that I easily get overwhelmed. I take too much stress, and have an ever present worry bug.

But let's do this together. We'll make it happen. One step at a time.
I try to look at it now as what is the next step to take, instead of "woah look at that mountain in front of me" Thanks copper amother for that advice!

I don't mind pming you, but I think having this on the main board is more motivating for me, and creates an additional shove to get things moving and update this thread. Wink

I posted my progress above.
Glad to have ya with me here.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:16 pm
Hey Aylat!!
How's it going by you?
It's been a bit slow by me the last few days.
It was very busy season for dh at work, and I was helping him, so this got pushed to the side a bit. But I'm still on it!

I did manage to do some more math practice 2 days ago. 3 chapters left to do practice on.

Re the FAFSA I went into Excelsior to check up on it, and it showed that they need certain online forms filled out which noone contacted me about. But I guess it's good I went in.
I filled them out. Then later I received an email that Excelsior received my FAFSA application and it will take 7-10 business days for them to review.

That's it for now.
Hope to finish math soon.
Then will go onto do writing. I decided that doing it simultaneously is too overwhelming for me right now. I'll focus on finishing math. Once I'm done will get started on the English writings.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 6:59 pm
I am happy that you are able to try to finish getting your Degree. Good Luck! !!

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
Hey Aylat!!
How's it going by you?
It's been a bit slow by me the last few days.
It was very busy season for dh at work, and I was helping him, so this got pushed to the side a bit. But I'm still on it!

I did manage to do some more math practice 2 days ago. 3 chapters left to do practice on.

Re the FAFSA I went into Excelsior to check up on it, and it showed that they need certain online forms filled out which noone contacted me about. But I guess it's good I went in.
I filled them out. Then later I received an email that Excelsior received my FAFSA application and it will take 7-10 business days for them to review.

That's it for now.
Hope to finish math soon.
Then will go onto do writing. I decided that doing it simultaneously is too overwhelming for me right now. I'll focus on finishing math. Once I'm done will get started on the English writings.

its a good idea to work on one at a time, if thats what works best for you- you know how to get yourself to move forward best!
Nu? did you schedule that math test?
and aylat you can do this too! I understand the procrastination feeling, but just push through it and say what first step can I do today? I wont get my degree today, but can I email my college? fill out just one form? Take one step.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:
its a good idea to work on one at a time, if thats what works best for you- you know how to get yourself to move forward best!
Nu? did you schedule that math test?
and aylat you can do this too! I understand the procrastination feeling, but just push through it and say what first step can I do today? I wont get my degree today, but can I email my college? fill out just one form? Take one step.

It's been a bit slow going the past few days.
In the beginning the math did not seem so challenging, but I keep doing about 2 hours every day and I still have some to go. It's harder then I thought.
It gets frustrating, and then I want to stop. But I try to remind myself that "slow and steady wins the race."

It's hard for me because I like when things happen fast. But I can't do more then I could do. I think I also need to give myself more reasonable time frames, to avoid frustration. I mentally estimated the math to take 2 weeks and when it took longer I got so frustrated. But in reality, it's a lot more work. More like for 1-2 months.

So that's lesson #1 for today. One step at a time.

I also got back a message from Excelsior about the financial aid, that they need my 2016 tax transcript from the IRS. After all I went through, paying turbo tax, and having tried getting it from the IRS but being unable to... I really hope I could resolve this.

Thanks for being here with me and for the support!
I sent them back an email questioning them about it. We'll see what

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:27 pm
So it's after yom tov and I'm back. Trying to get in the swing.
Moved a little forward with FSA,
-obtained transcript from IRS and will send it soon to Excelsior.

- Need to fax form to get for dh "non filing letter" since he didn't work in 2016. Will do it at home with dh since I do not have all the info to put in a request for it for the IRS

- Need to submit a Study Plan for FSA. I took a look at the course options and got so overwhelmed. I don't know if I'll be able to do it. I'm starting to think that the whole FSA is a waste of time, and I should just pay for it myself and only do the courses directly from ECC which is not that expensive. On the other hand, I do want to try a "real" course and get a good grasp of the info by doing one of the Excelsior courses.. I'm thinking of doing the Intro to Psychology one as part of my elective credits because one of my maybe careers is social work/ or a related field.

- My math thing is at a break.. gosh. I'm so lazy. I need to finish that after going through so much time learning it. IYH today after work I will go over some material.

- I got an ipad, which is not ideal a laptop would be better. But this is what the budget allowed for so this'll have to do. Also installing internet in a week, because otherwise it works very slow.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:52 pm
Ok, sent them my IRS transcript.
Received (really fast) approval for the Psychology 101 course. Please I need encouragement that I can make it through this course.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, sent them my IRS transcript.
Received (really fast) approval for the Psychology 101 course. Please I need encouragement that I can make it through this course.

Am I understanding you correctly that psychology 101 is a real course as opposed to a test? If so, this is a great course to take as a real course. It's relatively easy and really interesting. Useful as well.

Also, I think it's really worth it to take a few "real" courses. You learn how to write papers, etc.

It sounds like you are pretty close to the finish line - we're all rooting for you here!

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:01 pm
Also, if you didn't finish the math yet...

Have you looked into Aleks? It's $20 a month (I think) and you get three credits for each evaluation you finish. And it's unproctored. I'm pretty sure Excelsior accepts Aleks, if you want more info. let me know and I'll send you the links.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:04 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Am I understanding you correctly that psychology 101 is a real course as opposed to a test? If so, this is a great course to take as a real course. It's relatively easy and really interesting. Useful as well.

Also, I think it's really worth it to take a few "real" courses. You learn how to write papers, etc.

It sounds like you are pretty close to the finish line - we're all rooting for you here!

Thanks! Yeh, it's my first "real" course.
And I'm so nervous.
I know I could do it. I just get overly anxious about such things.
Thanks for the encouragement!!

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:25 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Also, if you didn't finish the math yet...

Have you looked into Aleks? It's $20 a month (I think) and you get three credits for each evaluation you finish. And it's unproctored. I'm pretty sure Excelsior accepts Aleks, if you want more info. let me know and I'll send you the links.

yes, that does sound interesting and I would be interested in the links if you can post them. Thanks!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics