Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
The importance of thank you/appreciation
Previous  1  2

amother
Green

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:12 pm
I would feel so rotten and awkward around a person who did something for me and I didn’t thank them.....
How can a person just go on without expressing thanks? How do they not feel awful about it?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:22 pm
zaq wrote:
“No problem “ is the new “you’re welcome” but it does lack something. (Maybe because it seems to imply “I did it because it was easy but if it were a problem I would leave you in the lurch”? )

Mommyg8 wrote:
Actually, it's quite old. In Yiddish, many people say "nisht du forvus" for you're welcome. I think.

And in spanish, it's de nada which also mean it's nothing.

I sometimes say it's nothing when it's really nothing and I don't see why they're thanking me (even though I would also thank).

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
I would feel so rotten and awkward around a person who did something for me and I didn’t thank them.....
How can a person just go on without expressing thanks? How do they not feel awful about it?

Oh, I do feel awful about it, trust me.

But my social anxiety, which is what initially prevented me from writing the thank you note or expressing my gratitude in words, for fear of saying the wrong thing or saying it inadequately, only increases as time passes, making it exponentially more difficult to express the thanks that I so intensely feel.

It makes the half-written thank you notes, or the ones I even got into the envelope but was too afraid to seal and send, all the more formidable.

At that point, the only way to save my sanity is to pretend that I forgot and so did the other person.

I am working very hard on forcing myself to send shorter-than-appropriate notes of thanks, as it is better than sending none.

But in the meantime, be assured that no expressed thanks does not mean no gratitude.

salt

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 3:24 am
What about 'my pleasure' - as a response to 'thank you'. Does no one say that?
Or is it the British equivalent of "your welcome".

I like it in Hebrew when people respond to "thank you" with בשמחה or בכיף

That's most similar to 'my pleasure'.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette