Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you had these two options

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:50 pm
I am in my lower 40s trying to do a career change.
I've done all my hishtadlut in the past year to no avail but I had faith.

Finally, before RH of this year I got an offer from a reputable corporate agency.
The official deal was that I get a base salary (I have not negotiated the exact amount yet but they gave me the approximate amount) plus I get commission for every deal that I close.

I would have to travel daily for 3-6 months 2 hours per way to get the training.

After the initial training period I can work remotely.

We decided to wait till after the High Holidays and then close the deal.

In the mean time I have figured out how I am going to make this traveling work with my nice size family.
I had enough time over the last few weeks to figure out the details to a T; from how I will travel, to babysitting, to dinners to laundry to moving appointments so it is aligned with my new schedule.

I am supposed to close the deal tomorrow G-d willing.

Today, I got a very unexpected offer from a highly respected well established organization. They want me to work for them locally and more part time.

The base pay is double than the salary this corporate position would pay but, as with any nonprofit, there is not much opportunity for growth.

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks!

simcha2

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:57 pm
How important is growth in career (going up the ladder, salary/ title increases etc.) to you?

If this is something that speaks to you and fulfills you? then I think the short term investment is worth it. If you are looking for a job that is interesting etc., but you don't need the accolades and the striving doesn't speak to you, take the second.

Some people really like (need) the feeling of success that promotion and closing the deal brings, others not so much. But given that you spend a lot of time working, knowing what makes you feel accomplished is important.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:01 pm
I would prefer the second option.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:03 pm
Bigger salary is important to me and so is feeling accomplished.

Titles? not. The nonprofit position will give me a very good social standing but I dont value this type of social standing.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:04 pm
#2. Travelling is beyond exhausting. And commission based pay is a big risk

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:05 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I would prefer the second option.

Lets say you are the 80% breadwinner and the salary there will not cover your expenses, what would you do?

simcha2

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:
Lets say you are the 80% breadwinner and the salary there will not cover your expenses, what would you do?

There's no guarantee that the commission based salary will end up paying more. It's very variable. I know people who have done VERY well with commission jobs and I also have a very accomplished friend (trained lawyer etc.) who took a commission based job and rarely made a single commission a month. Definitely riskier.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
#2. Travelling is beyond exhausting. And commission based pay is a big risk

Both are true.

For the purpose of this post lets skip the traveling period because its not like I'm commiting to travel forever.

As I am writing this I am thinking that my main concern is once I'm back in town working remotely which job has more earning potential?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:

I would go with the place that has the higher base pay. And less travel. I need my sanity.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:19 pm
Quality of life is also something you will be paying with for option 1. I would definitely take that into consideration.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:23 pm
simcha2 wrote:
There's no guarantee that the commission based salary will end up paying more. It's very variable. I know people who have done VERY well with commission jobs and I also have a very accomplished friend (trained lawyer etc.) who took a commission based job and rarely made a single commission a month. Definitely riskier.

I think that there is some risk in both.

If I take the corporate position I risk not earning the commission and the bigger paycheck that the nonprofit offers.

If I take the nonprofit I risk the (at least imagined) opportunity of the commission and salary growth.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:25 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I would go with the place that has the higher base pay. And less travel. I need my sanity.

I need my sanity also but I am telling myself that having enough money is also sanity.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:39 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Quality of life is also something you will be paying with for option 1. I would definitely take that into consideration.

True.
At the moment I am still under the influence of my own brainwashing that I will handle the traveling well.

I appreciate all the logic here.

Thanks!

simcha2

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:44 pm
How about thinking of it this way -

If you had been offered the non profit job first and were about to sign and then were offered the second one, would it be appealing to you?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:
I am in my lower 40s trying to do a career change.
I've done all my hishtadlut in the past year to no avail but I had faith.

Finally, before RH of this year I got an offer from a reputable corporate agency.
The official deal was that I get a base salary (I have not negotiated the exact amount yet but they gave me the approximate amount) plus I get commission for every deal that I close.

I would have to travel daily for 3-6 months 2 hours per way to get the training.

After the initial training period I can work remotely.

We decided to wait till after the High Holidays and then close the deal.

In the mean time I have figured out how I am going to make this traveling work with my nice size family.
I had enough time over the last few weeks to figure out the details to a T; from how I will travel, to babysitting, to dinners to laundry to moving appointments so it is aligned with my new schedule.

I am supposed to close the deal tomorrow G-d willing.

Today, I got a very unexpected offer from a highly respected well established organization. They want me to work for them locally and more part time.

The base pay is double than the salary this corporate position would pay but, as with any nonprofit, there is not much opportunity for growth.

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks!

Sounds like a no brained to me: option 2. Hatzlacha, whenever you decide

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:49 pm
simcha2 wrote:
How about thinking of it this way -

If you had been offered the non profit job first and were about to sign and then were offered the second one, would it be appealing to you?

What great food for thought. I appreciate it.

My first response to your question was noòo! But let me chew on this for a little longer.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:04 pm
I wouldnt even consider #1 to begin with so definitely #2

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 1:35 pm
My husband had taken on jobs, more than once, where base pay was not so much, but was promised growth potential or commissions before He took on the job.....He, then worked to the bone.....but guess what the second part was never followed through, once on the job....so he stayed with the hard work & the minimal pay. I would definitely say if base pay is higher and local....your better off, as is more of a guarantee initially. What if your potential lies in your training & then you can't complete because travel is too hard, or once you invested in training but cant actually perform despite your training ( because you are amateur or not skilled in this area even if you trained etc) then the big bang is gone.
Also whatever you decide on, make sure to sign a contract so they dont go back on their words. Hatzlacha rabba! Hashem should guide you on right path! In such a case, we ask our rabbi for guidance!

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:11 pm
Two hours travel in the a.m. and then again in the p.m.?

You couldn't pay me to do that.

simba

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:19 pm
Voting for #2 as well.
Travel is a killer. Commissions are risky. Part time is gold. Income is from Hashem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics