Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How to help my son

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:43 pm
He is 9 years old. He is a very defiant child but I don't think its intentional.
He touches things he knows he's not allowed to without contemplating the consequences.
He starts up with siblings for no reason at all.
I don't want to give too much information here but I need to get him help.
We're in Brooklyn and he was going to Tikvah at Ohel for awhile but the therapist was a young student with very little experience and I really wasn't seeing much if any improvement. We mutually agreed that therapy wasn't working for him. So we stopped. But I think a different therapist may reach him. Or be able to give me techniques. Any recommendations?

cnc

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:50 pm
Has he ever been evaluated?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 5:57 pm
Take him to a psychiatrist at the clinic for an evaluation. They will give a diagnosis and a treatment plan and then you can tell the clinic that the child needs a certified psychotherapist for the treatment.

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:02 pm
Read the explosive child and go to www.livesinthebalance.org it is an evidence based model that really helps kids like this.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:24 pm
cnc wrote:
Has he ever been evaluated?

He did have a BOE evaluation years ago but didn't amount to anything.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
Take him to a psychiatrist at the clinic for an evaluation. They will give a diagnosis and a treatment plan and then you can tell the clinic that the child needs a certified psychotherapist for the treatment.

I feel like the clinic has limited capabilities and at this point is am prepared to pay privately. I was very disappointed last time.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Read the explosive child and go to www.livesinthebalance.org it is an evidence based model that really helps kids like this.

Thanks!

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:19 pm
My sister had a child like this. He's 14 years old now and he's like a different kid. She also lives in Brooklyn. I can ask her what she did for him if you would like.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:36 pm
I second getting a professional evaluation, and go private if you have to. The sooner you know for sure what you're dealing with, the sooner you can get the right kind of help.

A therapist who just sits and talks isn't going to cure ADHD, for example.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
My sister had a child like this. He's 14 years old now and he's like a different kid. She also lives in Brooklyn. I can ask her what she did for him if you would like.

Yes please!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)