Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Very low carb update
Previous  1  2

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:09 am
Also re sweeteners, your tastes will change over time. You won’t miss sweet plus you’ll be able to taste sweetness in foods you don’t now think of as sweet. Weird but true.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:13 am
Also did u know that if you are going for fasting blood test, it’s negated if you’ve even had coffee and it becomes a random blood test? Taste makes a difference with regard to insulin resistance and insulin levels. Even no calories. That is why intermittent fasting is helpful and since ketosis makes you less hungry, they complement each other. Read the obesity code by dr Jason fung. He’s a practicing nephrologist/surgeon in Toronto dealing with complications of diabetes.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:47 am
Please explain to me ketosis for dummies. I would like to do it but have no idea where to start. Have about 40 pounds to lose but know nothing about it. What should I eat, how do I test if I’m in ketosis etc etc you are an inspiration

tf

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:06 am
I read intro to nsng. It explains everything

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:09 am
I am really happy for you!
I need to lose weight. Not as much but not insignificant. What scares me is how many people I've seen lose weight and put it back on. The key is, as you've said, this is a way to eat for life, not for this stage in the diet, or till one hits her goal.
About calories: yes, they do matter, not I don't obsess over them. If my safe homemade mini muffins (no white stuff or artificial sweeteners*) help me avoid the white flour and white sugar, I'll eat 2.
A book that influenced me a lot was VB6. The author, a major foodie, was read the typical middle-aged riot act and came up with a plan that wouldn't feel like deprivation. Basically, he eats vegan till 6 pm and then whatever he wants. But over time he's started limiting himself, avoiding certain foods. And it's not like, 6:01, let's binge. He did say something about having a few apples when he was hungry. And I thought, hey, so I'll nuke a few apples with cinnamon if I'm hungry.
BUT, I don't have to eat them all. I'll eat slowly, and put the rest back for another time.

Anyway, this has been helping me. My goal is to be healthy and not to go over a certain round number again. I hope I break the wall I seem to hit and actually l lose weight instead of yo-yoing these ten lbs. But I also know that I'm in a good place if I can keep this up.

* they do have mini chocolate chips. This gives me my choc fix, which for me is important.

Busy as a bee

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:09 pm
Im confused, what was it that worked for you in the end? Keto?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:22 pm
Busy as a bee wrote:
Im confused, what was it that worked for you in the end? Keto?

I’ve always been in ketosis. I’ve adjusted what I do for what works for me. But I identify much more as nsng than keto because I don’t do macros and I don’t do sweeteners or grains at all

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
I am really happy for you!
I need to lose weight. Not as much but not insignificant. What scares me is how many people I've seen lose weight and put it back on. The key is, as you've said, this is a way to eat for life, not for this stage in the diet, or till one hits her goal.
About calories: yes, they do matter, not I don't obsess over them. If my safe homemade mini muffins (no white stuff or artificial sweeteners*) help me avoid the white flour and white sugar, I'll eat 2.
A book that influenced me a lot was VB6. The author, a major foodie, was read the typical middle-aged riot act and came up with a plan that wouldn't feel like deprivation. Basically, he eats vegan till 6 pm and then whatever he wants. But over time he's started limiting himself, avoiding certain foods. And it's not like, 6:01, let's binge. He did say something about having a few apples when he was hungry. And I thought, hey, so I'll nuke a few apples with cinnamon if I'm hungry.
BUT, I don't have to eat them all. I'll eat slowly, and put the rest back for another time.

Anyway, this has been helping me. My goal is to be healthy and not to go over a certain round number again. I hope I break the wall I seem to hit and actually l lose weight instead of yo-yoing these ten lbs. But I also know that I'm in a good place if I can keep this up.

* they do have mini chocolate chips. This gives me my choc fix, which for me is important.

Kol hakavod. That’s way too much carb for me. It triggers me to want to see at more. Even too much vegetable can do it to me. I eat things made with 85% plus cocoa or the reallyoccasional square of 85% plus chocolate but otherwise, I just don’t care anymore. I’ve maybe had it four times in 1.5 years.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:13 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Kol hakavod. That’s way too much carb for me. It triggers me to want to see at more. Even too much vegetable can do it to me. I eat things made with 85% plus cocoa or the reallyoccasional square of 85% plus chocolate but otherwise, I just don’t care anymore. I’ve maybe had it four times in 1.5 years.

Yeah, I'm grateful it's working for me, it's what I can handle now, and I'm better off with this than before. But I'm not sure if I can lose weight until I start doing something differently and that concerns me because if I have to make too many changes I don't know if I'll be able to maintain them, and if I'll rebound.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
I suppose the ketosis eventually does something to your leptin/grehlin?

Because I had a great dinner of grilled chicken and salad, with olive oil mayo. I should not be hungry, right? Actually I even had a bedtime snack of a muffin made with almond flour (though I guess it does have some sweetener).

Well, along about 2:30 am I realized my stomach is rumbling and I got up to have a bowl of cornflakes.

So what I'm saying is in the short term low carb doesn't seem to work for me. But if I kept at it long enough would I stop feeling that stomach grumbling?

An almond flour muffin will take you straight out of ketosis and make you very crave-y. Only fat and protein and low carb veggies. Almonds are carby, you can only have a few and stay in ketosis.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
Cheiny can u list your typical days food plan?
Do u follow a specific diet with specific foods?
13 pounds over a few months is very impressive. I also need to do something already. I can’t take how I feel.

Sure, and honestly, the best thing about this is, my cravings have basically stopped, and now I actually forget to eat sometimes for lack of hunger! This is unreal for me, and just what I needed, because before, I always needed sweets at the end of a meal (even if I was stuffed!) and at other times as well, even when I wasn’t hungry or due for a meal, or the cravings would just not leave me alone!
So here’s what I eat:
Morning: (sometimes) 1 packet of instant oatmeal with hot water, cinnamon
Sometimes a fruit, sometimes 2 eggs

Lunch: some type of fish (salmon, tilapia, tuna— sprinkled with Pam and whole wheat bread crumbs and spices, baked)
Vegetables (raw or cooked)
Half avocado
2 eggs

Snack: fruit (unsweetened applesauce, apple, orange, etc.) a protein, handful of nuts, etc.

Dinner: protein ( chicken, beef, or fish)
Vegetables (salad, cooked veg., veggie Kugel...)

2 squares dark chocolate daily

DRINK TONS OF WATER!

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
An almond flour muffin will take you straight out of ketosis and make you very crave-y. Only fat and protein and low carb veggies. Almonds are carby, you can only have a few and stay in ketosis.

I agree that those types of carbs cause cravings! I know so from experience! That would ruin the entire diet for me...

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 2:24 am
amother wrote:
I suppose the ketosis eventually does something to your leptin/grehlin?

Because I had a great dinner of grilled chicken and salad, with olive oil mayo. I should not be hungry, right? Actually I even had a bedtime snack of a muffin made with almond flour (though I guess it does have some sweetener).

Well, along about 2:30 am I realized my stomach is rumbling and I got up to have a bowl of cornflakes.

So what I'm saying is in the short term low carb doesn't seem to work for me. But if I kept at it long enough would I stop feeling that stomach grumbling?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise