Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
S/o How much $ to make sheva brachos vs cater ny per person?

Average cost to make 7 brachos at home?
less than $5  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$5-10  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$10-15  
 5%  [ 3 ]
$15-20  
 6%  [ 4 ]
$20-25  
 8%  [ 5 ]
$25-30  
 6%  [ 4 ]
$30-35  
 1%  [ 1 ]
$35-40  
 1%  [ 1 ]
$40-45  
 0%  [ 0 ]
$45-50  
 3%  [ 2 ]
$ more than 50  
 66%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 11:05 pm
How much does it cost to make your own simple but nice sheva brachos in brooklyn- including disposable food, plates, utensils etc per person? What did you include on your menu for that cost? If you keep cholov yisroel and make it dairy is it more expensive than fleishig? How much work is involved- how many hours do you have to put in if one person is doing everything? Are there any shortcuts? How do you have room to warm everything up the day of, if you're doing it at home?

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 11:22 pm
Is your poll per person? I made at home and it came out to about $50 per person when you add in the paper goods.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
Is your poll per person? I made at home and it came out to about $50 per person when you add in the paper goods.
Per person.
so it can be more expensive to make on your own. What did you serve? What was included in the $50?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 12:01 am
I did a Bar Mitzvah in my home. It came out between $25-$30 per person.
I served:
Deli Caesar salad with breadsticks
Vegetable turnovers with mushroom sauce
Minute steak, mashed potatoes with crispy onions and string bean/carrot bundles
Peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream
Drinks were: seltzer and sodas
I served chicken nuggets for the kids tables but they had everything else the adults had.
I borrowed a warmer from a shul, that allows you to warm multiple roaster pans at once .
I got tables and chairs from a gemach
Everything else was disposable. I made my own centerpieces
I had a very small sweet table and put things that people sent over including a big tefillin cake.
I cooked everything myself.
The steaks and turnovers were made weeks in advance and frozen.
The mashed potatoes were made two hours before the simcha
The salad was set up individually on each plate and dressing in schnapps cups on the side. This was on the table by each place when everyone walked in the door.
The string bean/carrot bundles were made earlier in the day and prepared into bundles.
The peach cobbler was also made a few weeks in advance and frozen.
Individual challah rolls were also homemade , made in advance and frozen.

My biggest mistake was not hiring waiters to plate and serve. I ended up doing that with DH and we missed out on a lot of the simcha because of it.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 4:35 pm
People who responded to the poll, I hope you're answering how much it cost per person. I have a feeling that people answered based on the total amount, because almost everyone wrote over $50 which doesn't make sense, That's more expensive than a cheap restaurant. Is there a way to change the poll? to edit it or to make a new one?

ahuva06

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:01 pm
I recently made sheva brochos for 50 people. I spent about 20 a person not including paper ware but including two Proteins (ribs and pargiot) for the main, per person which raised the bill quite a bit.

simba

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:15 pm
I am surprised by the poll results. What are we serving that it is costing $50 pp to make at home? Rib steaks? Color me naive but I would say you can make a beautiful and classy event for $30 pp easily. Unless it needs to be pintrest worthy and nicer then the rich neighbors.
What a waste of hard earned much needed money.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:03 pm
simba wrote:
I am surprised by the poll results. What are we serving that it is costing $50 pp to make at home? Rib steaks? Color me naive but I would say you can make a beautiful and classy event for $30 pp easily. Unless it needs to be pintrest worthy and nicer then the rich neighbors.
What a waste of hard earned much needed money.

I'm shocked by the results too. It's easier and cheaper to cater. Unless, maybe people are answering how much total sheva brachos costs?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:03 pm
I hosted a Sheva bruchos in my home and was only notified 2 days before. It was on a Thursday post fast so food to fast out on was also served. (Made 2 type of cheese stuff ordered Kokosh cake bundt and another type of bundt.) I ordered food from local takeout for $28 a couple. (Price has gone up a few dollars since.) Food was really tasty and heimish. Delivered maariv time hot so no need to rewarm. (men daavened maariv here.) It included entree, soup w matzo ball, main dish protein starch and vegetable, cole slaw and cucumber salad. I ordered bilkelech ($1.25 Each I think) bought drinks and paper goods. Borrowed tablecloth and center pieces. Made dessert served next to bought ice cream. Total per person was about $20.
I think people might be responding to total cost per couple.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:19 pm
The reason for the poll answers is because on the home page where most people are probably submitting their vote, all you see is the poll title: Average cost to make 7 brachos at home?

So sounds like it referring to entire thing...

boysrus

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:47 pm
yes, I think you should redo the poll.
I personally voted based on total cost, I couldnt figure out how on earth you could make sheva brachos for less than a couple hundred dollars altogether, so voted for $50+. Only after opening up the thread did I see that it meant per person.
If I could vote again, I would vote for $10-15 pp

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:51 pm
I don't see a way to edit the poll, so I'll make a new post with a new poll. I thought it was obvious per person, but it wasn't. Please fill out the new poll that I make even if you already voted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics