Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami (Children's section) The Headless Chicken
1  2  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:57 pm
This week's Ami (children's section I think called "Aim") had an article about famous animals in honor of Parshat Noach.
One of the featured animals was a headless chicken. A farmer wanted chicken for dinner so he went and chopped the head off a chicken and it continued to walk around. The chicken lived for months after, being used for a "freak" show and the farmer made a lot of money.
They had a picture of the chicken posing with it's head on the floor.
Am I the only one horrified?

rgr

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:07 pm
The children's section in the ami is at the very least PG13.

Parent guidance/preapproval is recommended.

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:08 pm
I don't read Ami. But I've heard of that story, the chicken's name was Mike and he lived for 18 months after having his head cut off. It's a colorful story about American history. There are worse things in the world then a headless chicken.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:09 pm
Agree I stopped buying the magazine for this reason a couple years ago. If I have to pre read the kids section of the magazine for my kid doesn't that defeat the purpose?

studying_torah

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 3:22 pm
What on earth?!
I dont want to read that let alone my child....

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 4:34 pm
This is a week of nightmares for me!

First was this huge picture of Mike. Ew I was so grossed!

(They should have left out the picture for G-d’s sake!)

Then yesterday I discovered a dead bird by my door.

Now I can’t sleep or eat.

(Thanks Ami for contributing...)

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:01 pm
SuperWify wrote:
This is a week of nightmares for me!

First was this huge picture of Mike. Ew I was so grossed!

(They should have left out the picture for G-d’s sake!)

Then yesterday I discovered a dead bird by my door.

Now I can’t sleep or eat.

(Thanks Ami for contributing...)

Oh nooooo! I had even worse! A dead mouse on my outside doormat. AAAAAACK!!! Maybe Ami would like me to send a pic for them to publish.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:14 pm
Let’s not forget the dollhouse MURDER scene they published last year. Came complete with a photo of a murdered dad doll and blood stains everywhere. Here six year old -isn’t this fascinating?? Rolling Eyes
And yea, headless chicken was gross

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:27 pm
Oh please. Get a grip everybody. Im more than ok with my kid seeing something beyond the usual whitewashed junk.

And no, this magazine is not PG 13. Are u serious....

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:
Oh please. Get a grip everybody. Im more than ok with my kid seeing something beyond the usual whitewashed junk.

Do you work for Ami magazine jk.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
Oh nooooo! I had even worse! A dead mouse on my outside doormat. AAAAAACK!!! Maybe Ami would like me to send a pic for them to publish.

Great! Let’s submit an article titled, “Pictures The Lovely and (In)Famous Dead Animals Amongst Us”.

The picture of my dead bird can win first place award.

Any other contributions before I submit the article?

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:

Not quite pg13 but many of the articles there are more appropriate for teens and up (DH and I enjoy the Aim articles a lot). Not for little kids or tweens.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:13 pm
happy we didn't read ami kids last week
I can fluff it for now but what to do when the kids are reading on their own?!
what age group are they aiming for?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:25 pm
I actually think the Aim Magazine is from the better half of Jewish mags out there (and that includes the adult magazines lol). The other children’s magazines are very juvenile. Kids can learn to see an image they don’t like and move on without freaking out over it. They were showing a live but decapitated blood free animal, not a gory corpse. They also write stories about kids with imperfect middos; would you prefer that they keep those out as well?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
Do you work for Ami magazine jk.

Lol no. Just surprised at all the drama. Really, what is so wrong about kids reading about a chicken without a head? I think the topic is fascinating, and I really think you all should think twice before letting this become your reaction. Maybe train your kids NOT to become all squeamish and pampered like "eeeeeeeewyyyy!!! Bloooood!! MOMMMYYYYY!"

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Lol no. Just surprised at all the drama. Really, what is so wrong about kids reading about a chicken without a head? I think the topic is fascinating, and I really think you all should think twice before letting this become your reaction. Maybe train your kids NOT to become all squeamish and pampered like "eeeeeeeewyyyy!!! Bloooood!! MOMMMYYYYY!"

My children love animals and would be horrified to read about animals that were kept alive blind and unable to eat and the farmer making lots of money with a freak show headless chicken. Tzaar baalei chayim. The poor thing choked to death.
The picture of a chicken with it’s head chopped off and the head laying on the floor nearby. It’s disgusting. Not what I expect from a Jewish frum magazine.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:51 pm
only thing is...I don't believe any chicken ever lived without a head. period!!!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
only thing is...I don't believe any chicken ever lived without a head. period!!!!

https://www.hoaxorfact.com/sci......html

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:

And I found a dead BAT inside one of my large planters that are on the sides of my front door. Lol

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:

And I found a dead BAT inside one of my large planters that are on the sides of my front door. Lol
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room