Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami (Children's section) The Headless Chicken
Previous  1  2

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:56 pm
In July or August Ami kids had a whole article about kevura. Did you know? An amputated limb needs to be buried! And wow cool fact- non jews get dressed up when they’re dead and have open casket funerals but Jews don’t! And
Did you know? We are buried in tachrichim _’d in Israel they put broken glass in the dead persons eyes! And all this will definitely happen to you someday.

Hello- this is verbatim from the article. I unfortunately learned a lot of these halachos this year because my single sil died. But I’m 34. It’s ok for me to know. And now my kids know too- ages 13,12,10,7.
Hello??????
Anyone home and responsible at Ami???

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 7:03 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
In July or August Ami kids had a whole article about kevura. Did you know? An amputated limb needs to be buried! And wow cool fact- non jews get dressed up when they’re dead and have open casket funerals but Jews don’t! And
Did you know? We are buried in tachrichim _’d in Israel they put broken glass in the dead persons eyes! And all this will definitely happen to you someday.

Hello- this is verbatim from the article. I unfortunately learned a lot of these halachos this year because my single sil died. But I’m 34. It’s ok for me to know. And now my kids know too- ages 13,12,10,7.
Hello??????
Anyone home and responsible at Ami???

Um, that article was for tisha bav. And there's no reason children can't read a sensitively written article about the halachos of kevurah.
I actually saved that article because unfortunately it may soon be relevant as a grandparent is very ill.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:39 pm
Just curious:

Is this one of those magazines that doesn't publish photos of women because it might offend their male readers?

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:41 pm
DrMom wrote:
Just curious:

Is this one of those magazines that doesn't publish photos of women because it might offend their male readers?

Rolling Laughter

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
Um, that article was for tisha bav. And there's no reason children can't read a sensitively written article about the halachos of kevurah.
I actually saved that article because unfortunately it may soon be relevant as a grandparent is very ill.

Ok. I hear that point. But a murder scene? The point of the photo was to show HOW REALISTIC the doll house murder scene looked! In fact it looked just like a REAL murder scene! Dead dad and Bloody footprints and all! Isn’t that awesome kids?!? Mind you all my children are all under 11...they love flipping through the kids mags and I was absolutely horrified when they came across this.
Lapses in judgement like this one make me wonder who on earth approves their content.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:19 am
Sounds like there are numerous examples of famous animals they could have chosen:

- Dolly the cloned sheep
- Laika the first dog in space
- St Bernards who saved humans from avalanches, rescue dogs who scoured Ground Zero and identified survivors buried in piles of decimated skyscrapers, etc

- If they just want to discuss interesting species, they could chose oddities of nature:
- amazing bioluminescent fish
- weird okapis
- exotic Komodo dragon lizards
- poisonous Amazonian tree frogs
- egg-laying mammals like the platypus
- huge Maylasian bats
- pine-cone-like pangolins

etky

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:33 am
tigerwife wrote:
I actually think the Aim Magazine is from the better half of Jewish mags out there (and that includes the adult magazines lol). The other children’s magazines are very juvenile. Kids can learn to see an image they don’t like and move on without freaking out over it. They were showing a live but decapitated blood free animal, not a gory corpse. They also write stories about kids with imperfect middos; would you prefer that they keep those out as well?

Somehow - w/o seeing the actual picure - that seems even more grotesque to me. I think that davka because of the unnaturalness of what is depicted, it might stick in a child's psyche in an unhealthy and disturbing way. Visual images have a way of doing this.
Honestly, it's bad enough just to read about this. I wouldn't want to see the picture myself, let alone a child...

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 11:51 am
The magazine is targeted for tweens. I myself found it fascinating as did my younger sisters. Not that long ago our children were a little less coddled and I think it helped them grow up. If we keep kids in a protective bubble they'll be less prepared for life when they're older. I think that to a degree it's good that children get to have a carefree childhood but we do need to have a balance. This was part of their museum of marvels which every week features interesting little tidbits. It wasn't a full page color photo.

I didn't remember seeing the dollhouse murder scene but I just googled those words now and the results don't look all that bad either... Actually looked interesting Certainly not as traumatic as what I saw as a tween- real life bloody footprints across the sidewalk in front of our school which our school tried to wash out but it ended up staying for almost a whole year. Our school did not address it but of course we spoke about it amongst ourselves and rumor had it that a woman who had been stabbed was running to the ER and passed in front of our school.

(anon because my grademates will probably recognize the last part)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room