Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I quit my job or wait to be fired
1  2  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:22 am
I started a new job several months ago. I only work twice a week.
I am so not suited for the job. I came in knowing nothing.
The boss called me because I needed a job. He is a family friend. I wasn't interviewed but he just said that I was hired.
Not sure he realized how little I knew.
The person who I work under is very busy and doesn't always give clear instructions as to what I should do.
I could see she cringes when I come to ask a question.
But the pay is ok and I get paid for the yom tovim.
I saw a job that I think I am better suited for but for 10 dollars less but for a few more hours.
What should I do? Should I quite this job or wait to be fired and what should I do with the job I saw?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:24 am
Will you qualify for unemployment? If so, wait to be fired

bestme

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:25 am
If you are aware that you are not suited for the job then quit, especially if you are able to find a job that you are suited for.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:30 am
bestme wrote:
If you are aware that you are not suited for the job then quit, especially if you are able to find a job that you are suited for.

If you plan to quit, make sure that you were accepted to the other job first before giving notice at the job you are at. You should give a minimum of two weeks notice. Most new jobs understand that you need to give notice and tie up things and will wait those two weeks for you to start.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:42 am
pesek zman wrote:
Will you qualify for unemployment? If so, wait to be fired

Shouldn’t she be grateful a family friend gave her a job without even interviewing her? I doubt op would consider filing for unemployment and driving up her family friends future unemployment rate only because he did her a favor

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
Shouldn’t she be grateful a family friend gave her a job without even interviewing her? I doubt op would consider filing for unemployment and driving up her family friends future unemployment rate only because he did her a favor

Knowing him he would make me collect unemployment so I would get something.
I feel bad because I feel he could get someone else who is more qualified for the job.
The other problem is that my coworker who runs the office is going on vacation in November and I have to take over. I am so scared because I have no idea how to do half the stuff she does and if I mess something up it could be a big deal. So not sure if it would be right to leave now.
Sometimes I feel that my boss regrets giving me the job.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:07 am
if you decide to stay, meet with her (the one who runs the office). Have a formal sit down meeting where you ask a million questions and get trained on what you don't know. Don't worry that you're inexperienced--- just gain the experience you need and quickly.

And if you decide to leave, I don't blame you--- it's hard to feel like you're not the right person for the position.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:11 am
amother wrote:

I don't know if she's even qualified (is she paying unemployment taxes? Did she work long enough?) but if she is, she should take it. What if this other job isn't there for her?

If her boss hired her without interviewing her, not knowing if she's able to do the job, and then fires her for not doing the job properly, yes, he should be paying her unemployment. Out of the goodness of his heart his made a mistake, but sometimes we have to pay (literally) for our mistakes

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:13 am
Why not speak to the boss, outline your concerns, ask him what he suggests? Maybe youre doing better than you think? Discuss first, it keeps the doors open and you can always quit later if you need to

cm

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:16 am
Don't wait to be fired, ever.

If you have a solid offer for a job that's a better fit for you and you want to take it, resign with at least two weeks' notice (or more).

If you don't have a backup plan or you're ambivalent about it, talk to your boss. Work out a plan for training. If you're expected to fill in for the office manager, you can learn those tasks and develop some solid skills, positioning yourself for advancement within the company or elsewhere.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:36 am
Why do you think you will be fired are you catching on slowly on job training can be stressful but they should understand it takes time to learn. Are you getting the hang of the work at all?

mom!

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:38 am
Why can't you start looking while you are still employed? Your resume is MUCH better if you are currently employed.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:44 am
If you're the sole breadwinner, do not quit.
If you don't like your job, look for one while you're still working at this one. Once you take a new job, you can give your current place 2 weeks notice.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:48 am
thunderstorm wrote:
If you plan to quit, make sure that you were accepted to the other job first before giving notice at the job you are at. You should give a minimum of two weeks notice. Most new jobs understand that you need to give notice and tie up things and will wait those two weeks for you to start.

THIS. Make sure you actually GET the job before you quit. Of course go for a job that you will actually enjoy. I have left 2 jobs - as long as there is a valid reason to leave dont wait to be fired.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
I started a new job several months ago. I only work twice a week.
I am so not suited for the job. I came in knowing nothing.
The boss called me because I needed a job. He is a family friend. I wasn't interviewed but he just said that I was hired.
Not sure he realized how little I knew.
The person who I work under is very busy and doesn't always give clear instructions as to what I should do.
I could see she cringes when I come to ask a question.
But the pay is ok and I get paid for the yom tovim.
I saw a job that I think I am better suited for but for 10 dollars less but for a few more hours.
What should I do? Should I quite this job or wait to be fired and what should I do with the job I saw?

Since you know the boss, why not explain to him that while you would like to do your job well, the lack of proper training is hindering your ability to do so? Perhaps he can arranged a more structured training, or help with learning your job in a more competent way than your supervisor seems able to provide.

Fox

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 10:49 am
A general word:

Please, please let us not encourage people to manipulate their job choices based on the ability to collect unemployment benefits. Over and over on Imamother, we have lengthy emotional threads about how benefits fraud in the frum community is a huge problem.

Well, I have a lot more sympathy for the family that can't afford $3K in health insurance each month and therefore finds a hinky way to qualify for Medicaid rather than going uninsured . . . than I have for someone who plans on leaving a job anyway but arranges things so she'll get a paid vacation out of it.

And please don't tell me that this is not a problem. Every frum employer I know gets frustrated with it, and I know quite a few who have ceased hiring frum employees because the practice is so rampant.

Unemployment insurance does not work like other social benefits. It is paid by employers, and the cost is based on a number of factors, including claims. When you make a claim, you are adding to the long-term cost for your employer. Despite what anyone might tell you, it's very hard in most states to get your rates to go down again even if you have no further claims.

Unemployment benefits are designed for people who are unexpectedly terminated -- not for people making some kind of career or lifestyle change.

Now for the OP:

It sounds like this job is simply not a good match. Maybe it's a lack of knowledge on your part; maybe it's a lack of training; maybe it's poor management on their part. Likely, there are elements of all three.

Get your resume ready and start looking for a new job. I don't know if the job opportunity you heard about is the right one for you, but given the job market today, somebody out there is begging for your skills and abilities.

At the same time, you want to leave this organization on good terms. While you shouldn't explicitly tell them that you are looking for a new job, I think it would be okay to explain that you realize that perhaps you aren't as great a fit as everyone had hoped but that you want to do as good a job as possible for them.

When you accept a new job, give them as much notice as possible and do everything you can to ease the transition. Even if they were frustrated by your job performance (fairly or unfairly), most employers gain respect for an employee who behaves like a mentsch when it comes time to leave.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 11:33 am
I agree with Fox. The unemployment thing bites the employer for years to come.
I also think that out of Hakaras Hatov to your current employer, you should definitely tell him that you think you are unsuited for the current job and you appreciate that he hired you. Then you can wait and see what he says about continuing for the time being if he really needs you for November. You can reassess the situation then if he asks you to please stay.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:58 pm
Where is your job located and what kind of field? Maybe I can take you over when you leave? Sounds like a real chilled boss Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

dankbar

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 2:46 pm
Situations like this get sticky....he hired you because you are a family friend.....now if you are not performing on the level he expects.....he probably has a hard time firing you as well.....because of possible broken family friend relationship.....For your dignity resign before you get impeached/ or up your skills/training/performance if u plan to stay to work there.....even for future employment....it sounds better on resume or interview....why you left your old job.....because you were fired for poor performance or you quit for better opportunity?!

dankbar

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 2:48 pm
Definitely don't quit though until you have a good standing with a new job
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics