Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Bar Mitzva Gift for not frum boy

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:34 am
We are going to cousins bar mitzva. The family is not religious at all - really have very limited knowledge or interest in Judaism. We're not sure if the kid is even halachacly Jewish.
What gift would be appropriate?

singleagain

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 2:24 pm
What does to boy like? What's he interested in? Maybe a gift card to the type of store he likes... If he's into Lego/computers/books/movies/techie stuff/gaming

Or, if you feel weird about gift card you can always give cash... If that also makes you uncomfortable, find out what he likes and say he likes Lego and Star Wars. Buy a Star Wars Lego set in your price range... Just as example

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 2:39 pm
singleagain wrote:
What does to boy like? What's he interested in? Maybe a gift card to the type of store he likes... If he's into Lego/computers/books/movies/techie stuff/gaming

Or, if you feel weird about gift card you can always give cash... If that also makes you uncomfortable, find out what he likes and say he likes Lego and Star Wars. Buy a Star Wars Lego set in your price range... Just as example

I have no clue what his interests are embarrassed

singleagain

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
I have no clue what his interests are embarrassed

Can you ask his mom?

simba

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 2:42 pm
I personally would buy a judaica item for Bar Mitzva.
Menorah, siddur etc..

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 2:47 pm
I had a Good friend who wasn't frum at his Bar Mitzvah give my DS a Swiss Army knife for his Bar Mitzvah. He told us that someone gave that to him as a gift when he became Bar Mitzvah 40 yrs ago and it was his favorite gift so that's what he always gets Bar Mitzvah boys. My DS, also loved it.
Just throwing this idea out, though it has nothing to do with Judaism. It's just a "toy" a boy that age would enjoy.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 3:10 pm
If a girl can get jewelry for a bas mitzvah then no reason a boys gift needs to be Jewish themed. And really - cash works very nicely, almost always.

happyone

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:16 am
Amazon card.

Maya

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:17 am
I’ve bought LEGO Architecture sets.

salt

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:29 am
simba wrote:
I personally would buy a judaica item for Bar Mitzva.
Menorah, siddur etc..

I agree with this. They obviously have enough interest in Judaism to mark his bar mitzvah.
It will be the 'jewish' gift from the 'frum' cousins - but so what - either he'll put it in the closet and never use it, or maybe in 15 years time that siddur, tanach, kiddush cup or menorah will make all the difference.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:59 am
BM is not just another borthday... Jewish thing especially for a kid who won't get a lot

bestme

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:33 am
A kiddish cup or menorah or something from the judaica store...

tsc3

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:58 am
At first thought I was like for sure cash, but then I was thinking that if you're trying to make an impression on him so if one day he wants to come back to yiddishkeit then cash will just get swallowed up. If so I would go with a meaningful piece of judaica, especially if u think he won't get much of that.
But then again if he's not really Jewish as u said u weren't sure - then go with cash.

cm

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:05 am
I'm sure the OP has picked out a gift by now. Personally, I would give cash for a bar/bat mitzvah unless I know the child very well, and possibly even then. There will probably be other Judaica gifts (yes, even among the non-frum) and unless you know the recipient's taste, your choice may not be appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics