Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
So tight- can't breathe!
Previous  1  2

marina

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:26 pm
try vipkid - it’s online teaching english to little kids in China

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 9:56 pm
I feel you, OP. we are in a similar situation, even though DH works full time and I work almost full-time. I am paying a ton of money each week for childcare, and my baby is wearing summer hand me downs right now. We are both professionals with degrees and we work so hard, yet are constantly falling short. Every other week a few days before the paycheck comes in, my husband has to borrow money from a friend just to tide us over. He pays back when he gets paid, but it's humiliating. We have a mortgage and bills and tuitions and we are sinking.

So no advice, OP, but hugs. Hope things pick up for all of us soon!

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:13 pm
Going through a rough patch here too. Finally had the credit cards paid off, all the bills taken care of, then WHAM! New baby, Tishrei, AND school year starting. B"H all good things but now we're in $10K of credit card debt! Yikes! Me & DH get paid hourly/work done, and Tishrei is always a low season for getting work done, and there were a LOT of extra job and school expenses this year...

With Hashem's help, things will get better soon, they did last time!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
I feel you, OP. we are in a similar situation, even though DH works full time and I work almost full-time. I am paying a ton of money each week for childcare, and my baby is wearing summer hand me downs right now. We are both professionals with degrees and we work so hard, yet are constantly falling short. Every other week a few days before the paycheck comes in, my husband has to borrow money from a friend just to tide us over. He pays back when he gets paid, but it's humiliating. We have a mortgage and bills and tuitions and we are sinking.

So no advice, OP, but hugs. Hope things pick up for all of us soon!

I'm so with you! I didn't buy any new clothing this season, bh we have from last year. Even so, we are always borrowing ahead of the next pay check. On paper we make a decent amount of money, but we have big kids and little kids and there's always something else... It's just never enough. And we have lots of credit card debt besides... I wish there was a solution but I don't see it.

Also, I think this year was particularly hard as we were paying summer camps, back to school supplies, registration fees, and Yom tov expenses all at the same time.

fmt4

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:45 pm
Reality wrote:
A shadow is another term for a para. Its a para that is designated to help one specific student as opposed to a para that is a classroom assistant.

Well of course he isn’t making enough money doing that.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:14 am
fmt4 wrote:

How is that even remotely helpful? I suggest you edit and rephrase your thoughts.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:17 am
I hear you. I'm on the thin edge all the time. I got through yom tov by getting reclaimed food from people's catered events. It was humiliating, but my family needs to eat. Yes, the kids were aware that we were eating other people's leftovers. Crying

I just thought I had all the rent caught up, when I checked my account and found over $800 dollars in fraudulent charges. My landlord is a "no excuses" kind of guy, and he has no sympathy. I'm freaking out.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 11:02 am
Hugs to all of you going through this! For right now please just daven and pour your heart out to Hashem to help you get your yeshua. Yeshuas Hashem Kheref Ayin!!
Op, are you sure you need to pay these high premiums for insurance? Maybe you are eligible for reduced health care.
Wishing you a super quick turnaround in your mazel and in your parnossa income.
Hatzlocha and Brocha!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 1:49 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Are you getting any kind of public assistance from the govt? At this point I’d say, daven, daven, daven and do as much hishtadlut that you can. Remember, Hashem can help change things in the blink of an eye. Hatzlacha!

Very little as on paper, we don't meet the income guidelines. Sad Yes, we definitely daven! Thanks!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 1:50 pm
watergirl wrote:
So I guess the question is, why havent you been able to come up with anything (you saod in another comment) and and why wouldnt these suggestions work? Is he willing to do different types of work?

The other question, the more important one really, is what are you looking for from this thread? If its just to vent, my apologies for asking questions. Please vent away. Just please know that people are just trying to help.

yes, I'm looking to vent and for sympathy and perhaps some other enlightening ideas. Thanks.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:04 pm
fmt4 wrote:

Actually he made nice salary last year doing that but this year, the insurance cut the hours, hence his earning less.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so with you! I didn't buy any new clothing this season, bh we have from last year. Even so, we are always borrowing ahead of the next pay check. On paper we make a decent amount of money, but we have big kids and little kids and there's always something else... It's just never enough. And we have lots of credit card debt besides... I wish there was a solution but I don't see it.

Also, I think this year was particularly hard as we were paying summer camps, back to school supplies, registration fees, and Yom tov expenses all at the same time.

yes, we also have lots of cc debt and yes, all the expenses were at once and we're still feeling the ramifications.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:07 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
So maybe he could tutor in addition to shadowing or he could have a part time business. Or he could sub part time.

yes, he's open to tutoring and has done in past but hasn't found now and does sub sometimes, when schedule allows.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
If your husband has experience with special needs kids what about working after school hours with SN kids at home? I think it is called a res hab or something like that.

http://www.hasccenter.org/comm.....n.php

Thanks, he's open to that as well.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
Get on foodstamps, Medicaid, etc.
My state has income eligibility guidelines for reduced electric bills, and something similar for gas. I think water has a small reduction.

not eligible unfortunately Sad

I am so sorry to hear that you're struggling this badly.
Can your husband find some other work during the summer, like shadowing in a camp or tutoring? And some type of freelance job yearround, including YT?

He worked in summer for a little but wasn't enough.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:14 pm
We are in the same situation.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:37 pm
I feel so sorry for you, reading these posts, it is so hard to manage in todays day and age. Is the main expense Rent? Rent is so high in NY! Plz feel free to reject this idea, but is it possible to move in with either sets of parents into their basement or something until the financial/job situation improves?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
I feel so sorry for you, reading these posts, it is so hard to manage in todays day and age. Is the main expense Rent? Rent is so high in NY! Plz feel free to reject this idea, but is it possible to move in with either sets of parents into their basement or something until the financial/job situation improves?

Our rent is high but BH we have some assistance with that. Not an option to move in with anyone. Basically we need to increase our income and/or get more financial assistance. Any organizations I can reach out to for help?

rachelmom1

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:43 pm
FWIW, reaching out to contacts you may have in the teaching field and letting them know DH is available for tutoring, may go a long way.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
I hear you. I'm on the thin edge all the time. I got through yom tov by getting reclaimed food from people's catered events. It was humiliating, but my family needs to eat. Yes, the kids were aware that we were eating other people's leftovers. Crying

I just thought I had all the rent caught up, when I checked my account and found over $800 dollars in fraudulent charges. My landlord is a "no excuses" kind of guy, and he has no sympathy. I'm freaking out.

Are you able to protest the charges with bank?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics