Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO Soft Leather Large Black Birkin/Kelly bag copy
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:21 pm
Fox, I love your stories! LOL You are such a good writer.

If you really want buttery soft, look for lambskin. I found a mint condition lambskin shoulder bag at Goodwill for $4.99 once. I don't remember the designer name, but it was made in Italy. Score!

Fox

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Fox, I love your stories!

As you well know, FF, I've had an interesting life!

Here's another one that caught my eye. Henri Bendel is seriously underrated, IMHO. TheRealReal

Fox

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:49 pm
Here's another nice one, though well over the price range. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Tom Ford bags hold their value so well on the secondary market. They are beautifully made, I'll admit, but they seem to be holding their value as well as the golden trifecta: LV, Chanel, and Hermes.

Another interesting tidbit is that secondary sales have a significant effect on the retail prices designers can charge. There are a lot of customers who are wealthy enough to walk into a designer's atelier and drop several thousand dollars on a handbag but not wealthy enough to let it sit around in the closet if they end up not using it or if it goes out of style. They want to be able to resell it quickly and get the bulk of their money out of it. So designers like Tom Ford whose stuff commands a premium on the secondary market can charge top dollar to his pret-a-porter customers who know they can turn it around when the season passes.

TheRealReal

Though not shown in the photos, the sides of the Jennifer unzip to create a traditional rectangular bag.

Fox

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:54 pm
Poor Red Amother! She's thinking, "I should never have started that thread! Fox is gonna be posting handbag pictures from now 'til Chanukah!"

However, the liberal/leftist Imamothers are thinking, "Hmmm! Next time Fox becomes too tiresome with her political arguments, someone should just start a handbag thread! She'll be instantly neutralized!"

Busy as a bee

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:14 pm
OP Pm me I may have something for you

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 10:46 pm
Busy as a bee wrote:
OP Pm me I may have something for you

I appreciate it, but Id rather not divulge my username.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:21 am
Fox where on earth do you find amazing bags on consignment?!
How do you know which consignment stores have these bags and are any online?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:54 am
Fox wrote:
Don't be afraid of the secondary market, either. You can buy a more expensive bag for the same price, but some nice lady will have broken it in for you.

How used do the used bags look?

After a month or so of most people using even the best quality bags, the bags look used, for instance rubbed out in different degrees at the corners, scratched hardware, etc.

Can you return them if theyre purchased online and you dont like the condition?

Fox

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 12:25 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Fox where on earth do you find amazing bags on consignment?!
How do you know which consignment stores have these bags and are any online?

Amother wrote:
How used do the used bags look?

After a month or so of most people using even the best quality bags, the bags look used, for instance rubbed out in different degrees at the corners, scratched hardware, etc.

Can you return them if theyre purchased online and you dont like the condition?

Okay, here's a quick intro to the world of handbag reselling.

Buckle Up Your Seatbelt!

First of all, it is a brutal, brutal business. In fact, I compare it to the drug trade. I'm always reminded of the Glenn Frey song from the 80s, "Smuggler's Blues":

Quote:
The sailors and the pilots, the soldiers and the law
The payoffs and the ripoffs and the things nobody saw
Don't matter if it's heroin, cocaine or hash,
You've got to carry weapons 'cause you always carry cash
There's lots of shady characters and lots of dirty deals
Every name's an alias in case somebody squeals

Just substitute authenticators, websites, SAs, and retailers in the first line.
Substitute LV, Chanel, and Hermes in the third line.
I don't need a weapon, but I probably would if I were dealing with individuals in person.

Now that I've sufficiently scared you, let me explain that there are lots of perfectly safe and legitimate ways to buy used handbags. You just have to be careful and know whom you're dealing with.

I make purchases only through a couple of well-known, trusted sites that have been around for a while: Yoogi's Closet and The Real Real. There are many other legitimate sites, but Yoogi's Closet and The Real Real have impeccable reputations for only selling authentic merchandise. They don't misrepresent the condition of the bags and they don't gloss over anything that might make a bag worth less (e.g., a non-functional lock or missing shoulder strap). They don't use stock photos, and the photos do not camouflage defects, either.

The policies regarding returns depend on the site and sometimes on the item itself. The Real Real generally does not take returns on handbags, but I have purchased six bags over the years and each one was actually in better condition than the description. If any of the items looks used, it will be made clear in the description and in the photos.

Remember, the people who are selling these bags have kept them in excellent condition precisely because they intend on reselling them at some point.

I do not recommend dealing with individuals through eBay, Tradesy, or Poshmark unless you're purchasing something relatively inexpensive. There is a ton of fraud and while most sites have cracked down on actual counterfeits, I've heard of professional authenticators who've been cheated by really, really good replicas.

Handbags 101

Before you get to the point of purchasing a used luxury handbag, you have to figure out what kind of bag you want; why you want it; and what you plan to do with it.

For some people, it's about impressing other people. That may seem shallow, but we all do silly things to impress others from time to time, and luxury handbags aren't the worst or even the most expensive. For others, it's a fashion statement. For still others, a luxury handbag that will last decades is part of the persona they create. I was given a Louis Vuitton monogram Speedy 30 when I was in college, and it literally lasted for 32 years of hard use.

Personally, I use luxury handbags and scarves to make the skirt-and-t-shirt uniform I wear a little more upscale. Since I work at home, I tend to dress down. I want to be able to grab my handbag, put a scarf around my neck, and run out the door -- and not look like I was interrupted while mopping the floor.

The best way to learn about luxury handbags and see various options is through YouTube. There are also Imamother-type forums, including PurseForum.

Some of the best YouTube channels include the following, though note that some of these channels are not exclusively about handbags, and you need to carefully select what you watch:

Charles Gross is a hot mess, but this little boy knows his bags. Stick with the handbag videos, please!

Doc Luxury is a college professor in Minneapolis whose hobby is collecting luxury bags.

Frozen Luxury is a Hawaiian-born reseller working in Minneapolis.

Erica's Girly World features a lot more than handbags, but this girl can analyze the financials like nobody's business.

Super Dacob tends to be Chanel-centric, but he has videos on how to pronounce all the designer names, which is helpful, and histories of the various houses and current creative directors.

And if you think all this is the craziest thing you've ever heard, you're correct, and you should follow Choupette's Diary on Instagram. Choupette is Karl Lagerfeld's cat (he's the creative director at Chanel and Fendi). Lagerfeld is obsessed with Choupette, and he famously stole her from a boyfriend and refused to give her back. Choupette's Diary slyly makes fun of the fashion world in general and attempts to remind everyone just how crazy all this is.

Busy as a bee

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 3:58 pm
Got it but I'm not posting my source for authentic imitation bags on imamother... good luck!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:04 pm
OP

Still looking for a soft leather Kelly/Birkin look alike for under $250
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics