Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
My kids' phone is dirty

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:10 pm
I have a phone that my kids use whenever they go somewhere and I need to be in touch with them.
It is not a kosher phone cause I need to text them sometimes pictures of things they want to buy or whatever. It is not a smart phone, though.
One time my daughter saw a text saying something like "hi I am lonely girl and I like sx" and I freaked out because it's a horrible thing for teens to be exposed to.
What do I do? My boys use this phone too.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:14 pm
You can't go to TAG and get stuff blocked?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:21 pm
Do they block that stuff? It isn't internet. Its text! If they can block stranger texts that would be great! I will call them tomorrow! Thanks for the idea. I appreciate it

Last edited by amother on Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 7:23 pm
TAG in Lakewood will not filter any teenager's phones according to a sign that I saw hanging in their office.

cbg

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
TAG in Lakewood will not filter any teenager's phones according to a sign that I saw hanging in their office.

Why not

mommy9

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:16 pm
I think there's a family plan that parents can decide which numbers their children can get texts from

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:03 pm
I think TAG wont filter it because the Lakewood view is that teens shouldn't have phones. Personally I would lie and tell them it's my phone so that it can be filtered. I would not feel guilty because getting my phone filtered by TAG is a paid service, not like charity or volunteer work.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:08 pm
I don't think TAG is referring to a "dumb" phone, which this phone is. And I'm not even sure that they CAN filter texts.

Can you block the number?

simba

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:11 pm
professor wrote:
One time my daughter saw a text saying something like "hi I am lonely girl and I like sx" and I freaked out because it's a horrible thing for teens to be exposed to.
What do I do? My boys use this phone too.

Find out why they are getting such texts. I have a phone for many years and never got such a text. Ladies, have you gotten such texts mistakenly? I hope it is an innocent mistake and I also hope your boys are not looking for trouble.

Last edited by simba on Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

pizza4

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:11 pm
There's a way to white list- only allow certain numbers

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:32 pm
simba wrote:
Find out why they are getting such texts. I have a phone for many years and never got such a text. Ladies, have you gotten such texts mistakenly. I hope it is an innocent mistake and I also hope your boys are not looking for trouble.

No, I never got such a text either. But maybe a friend gave someone your child's number?

Bsimcha

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:41 pm
I have a smart phone for many years and have never gotten any spam or inappropriate texts, I don't have blocked numbers

tf

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:19 pm
Block iit yourself. And check daily to block new numbers

momX4

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:44 pm
Bsimcha wrote:
I have a smart phone for many years and have never gotten any spam or inappropriate texts, I don't have blocked numbers

I once got an inappropriate picture of a man in his underwear. I blocked him and deleted the picture. I never called this number neither did DH.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 6:25 pm
Bsimcha wrote:

Maybe the key word is "many years" since our flip phone's number is relatively new, we can't know where the number came from before we got it. I think we should switch my or my husband's old number and take my kids phone number.... but then all my contacts will need to learn a new #

Last edited by amother on Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:10 pm
I only let my kids use a meishur phone without text. Surely no picture mail. The risks are too big.
On the other hand, I think this text might be a mistake because your kids probably know that you see all texts and calls made.

pesach princess

Post Mon, Oct 22 2018, 7:26 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I don't think TAG is referring to a "dumb" phone, which this phone is. And I'm not even sure that they CAN filter texts.

Can you block the number?

U can add it to screened numbers this will block the number

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:11 am
B"H my kids showed me that text and didn't just delete it. I would have left the phone with text. Now I understand what the Rabbis are talking about when they say no text whatsoever. I have since blocked all texts. You can easily do that by calling the phone company.

I just WISH that it was possible to send and receive texts from family only... like only certain contacts can text and no one else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children