Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Good toy for first grader at recess?

groovy1224

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 1:38 pm
My son is in first grade, and I'm gathering that he doesn't really play with anyone at recess. He doesn't seem to be lonely, but I'm nervous that as the school year progresses and friendships form he'll be left out if he never approaches anyone.

The teacher recommended (not to me specifically, to the class in general to encourage socializing) having him bring in some kind of toy (non electronic) or game that other kids would want to play with him.

Is there any kind of 'in' toy or game that 6 year olds are in to that could help my son make a friend? I don't usually follow these sorts of stupid trends but I'm willing to get over it in this case. Any ideas would be appreciated.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 1:40 pm
My son (2nd grade) classmates either play sports or they play these elaborate pretend games. Recess is outside so I am not sure how they can bring a toy without it getting lost. I would ask the teacher or a parent of an older boy what the boys doing during recess and then help your son ask if he can play with them.

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 1:42 pm
It depends what’s in at his school. My sons’ school has gone through waves of cool things to bring to school including diablos, Rubik’s cubes, kugelach, and other chatchkelach that are apparently must haves. I imagine each location has their own mishegasen.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 1:47 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My son (2nd grade) classmates either play sports or they play these elaborate pretend games. Recess is outside so I am not sure how they can bring a toy without it getting lost. I would ask the teacher or a parent of an older boy what the boys doing during recess and then help your son ask if he can play with them.

I figured sports too so maybe a baseball mitt? I know whatever it is is likely to get lost but I just want to give him that little nudge. Maybe I'm being overprotective and it'll happen on it's own? He's my oldest so I don't really know..

debbie321

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 2:04 pm
The boys in my school that age love to play games like crazy bones( tiny stupid looking mentchies that they flick to knock down others), top trumps, spot it, and card games...they also love that game( dont know name) its a ball with suctions on it, and you have to catch it with a paddle thats int he shape of a plate, with a strap on back 2 hold in ur hand

groovy1224

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 2:20 pm
debbie321 wrote:
The boys in my school that age love to play games like crazy bones( tiny stupid looking mentchies that they flick to knock down others), top trumps, spot it, and card games...they also love that game( dont know name) its a ball with suctions on it, and you have to catch it with a paddle thats int he shape of a plate, with a strap on back 2 hold in ur hand

Thanks! Will look into these

keym

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 2:58 pm
This is really location and community specific.
Op if you want to post where, we could help more.
But in first grade, my boys were into soccer and kickball. Those are less complicated and more inclusive sports. So if the teacher let's, you could send in a big ball so he could "run" the game.
For indoor cold and rainy weather, it's the new comic books, shomrim cards, the new mesorah cards, kugelach, and classic board games- my son just told me Connect Four is coming in for middle elementary.

gingertop

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 3:16 pm
Depends on location. And the fad at the school. My son is now going through an ichud hatzala album stage. It's great because it includes a lot of socializing and trading. Last year he was into handball and chess. Some years back all of my girls and my son were into the maze ball and Rubik's cube.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 4:40 pm
A card game perhaps?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 4:44 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
My son is in first grade, and I'm gathering that he doesn't really play with anyone at recess. He doesn't seem to be lonely, but I'm nervous that as the school year progresses and friendships form he'll be left out if he never approaches anyone.

The teacher recommended (not to me specifically, to the class in general to encourage socializing) having him bring in some kind of toy (non electronic) or game that other kids would want to play with him.

Is there any kind of 'in' toy or game that 6 year olds are in to that could help my son make a friend? I don't usually follow these sorts of stupid trends but I'm willing to get over it in this case. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Its not really going to work if its not something that he is inherently interested in. If he likes sports, bringing in a football is a great idea. But if he's not into sports, everyone else will wind up playing, and he'll still be alone. Ditto trading cards, or anything else.

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 4:54 pm
My two older sons (fifth grade, second grade) are both not into sports. Over the years they've brought pokemon cards, lego mini figures to trade, monopoly deal, crazy bones, top trumps, rubics sticks, playing cards, ratatat cat, chess... Think about what your kid enjoys doing. Let him bring that into school. Chances are if he takes it out at recess he'll attract like minded kids with similar interests. My primary aged son is very athletic and never wants to take any games or toys to school. He spends the whole recess playing basketball.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:41 pm
Crazy Bones
Playing cards to play war or other card games

Queen6

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:39 pm
I bought rescue bots / transformers. Google them. They are great big enough that he can’t lose but small enough to keep in his school bag. It’s working really well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children