Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Chumash/Navi in centers

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:54 pm
I have successfully taught other subjects using centers. I'm trying to figure out how to use that method for my Kodesh classes- specifically Chumash and Navi. I teach 4th grade.

Anyone successful with this? Any ideas?

ckk

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:02 pm
I've done chumish many times.
These come to mind right now butthere are more ideas out there..

Ideas for centers:
1. Kids get a sheet with hard words of possuk and some easy questions on a possuk they have never seen before.
2. They have to pick x number of words from possuk and write them down highlighting shoresh prefix and suffix
3. Review as a group a chunk of previous learned pesukim by chanting out loud together
4. Kriah practice. The teacher listens to each girl read the possuk 100% accurately while the other girls in the group pick one word of the possuk to illustrate.
5. Answers a list of "mi amar lmi" and "al mi nemar" on posuk.

Can be done on afew pesukim together not just one and can obviously also incorporate rashi.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:35 pm
Thank you!!
Where can I find other ideas? I have some of my own, but no success finding things online and I don't know teachers who have successfully done it with these topics.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:41 pm
Prepare a recording and have them follow along inside, saying the posuk with the recording. Then fill in a worksheet.

Or provide a Chumash/Navi with translation. Have them answer questions on the content, and write down words they didn't know, either as a list or on flash cards.

Or provide cards with story fragments, and have them match to the correct posuk, and/or put in order.

Or give an English Chumash/Navi, and cards with questions on one side and the answer on others. (Where was Sarah standing? and Why does the Torah say she was 127 in such a long way?) Students read the pesukim, and flip over each question as they encounter it.

Hmmm, can think of lots more ways to do this!

teachkids

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:32 pm
Once the kids have independent skills, they can begin to prepare pesukim independently and answer questions on them, but 4th is often a bit young for that.
I often had quizlet live games with vocab words as a center for Chumash that could run itself so I could work with other kids. Most computer based games are good for that.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 9:58 pm
teachkids wrote:
Once the kids have independent skills, they can begin to prepare pesukim independently and answer questions on them, but 4th is often a bit young for that.
I often had quizlet live games with vocab words as a center for Chumash that could run itself so I could work with other kids. Most computer based games are good for that.

I may be able to get tablets for the classroom for centers like that. Would be great!

Some girls can do the basics of independent learning, but most of my focus is on solidifying the skills and how to learn, the goal at the end of the year being for them to be able to read, translate and understand basic psukim and Rashi on their own. Using the L'havin program, if that matters.

Some great ideas here! Keep them coming! Even not tried and true- willing to try new things along with the old..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics