Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Sof ze tamid haschalah l'mashehu acher - source?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:03 pm
Can anyone tell me the source where this is written...
sof ze tamid haschalah l'mashehu acher

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:14 pm
I have never heard this sentiment expressed in Hebrew before, only in English.

So my assumption is that it’s not from Chazal or any classical Jewish sources.

It’s not necessarily antithetical to any hashkafos, so it may well have been coined as a Hebrew phrase by a modern speaker/writer and then spread from there within the past two decades at most. It doesn’t seem to be even as old as R’ Yisroel Salanter or R’ SR Hirsch or R’ Dessler...

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:39 pm
Can you explain what it means? Ty

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:42 pm
What she said. The language used sounds modern and not at all classical. If chazal had said it they would have said something like Kol Hamesayem Chozer Umatchil, or Siyum Parasha Siman Lehatchalah or something along those lines.

It is a pleasant enough concept. The end of childhood is the beginning of adulthood, the end of Shabbat is the beginning of the work week, the end of summer is the beginning of school.,,

We do have a concept of starting another mitzvah as soon as you complete the first. You never leave a pushke empty but put a few coins in as soon as you give the contents away; as soon as you finish Sefer tehillim you read Perek Aleph; as soon as we finish Vezot Habracha we start Bereshit..,but that’s a repeat of the same thing, not the start of something else.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
Can you explain what it means? Ty

Literally, “An ending is always the beginning of something else.”

gingertop

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:44 pm
I agree with other posters that this phrase sounds modern. With google I found that there's actually a Hebrew song by Leah Naor with a chorus of these words. So it's probably just from there. And the song is horrible.

leah233

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:04 pm
It does not sound like something Chazal said because it's in modern Ivrit not Biblical or Rabbinical Hebrew .

It sounds like what President Nixon said when he resigned: "Failure doesn't mean it's over. It only means you start over"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational