Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Meds for my ds?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 12:09 pm
Hi,
My ds is 11 and I'm reaching out to all those of you with more experience. My son is a very bright child with a very sensitive nature and a great sense of humor. He has a lot going for him. For the past three years in school I've been having trouble with him in school as he's been disturbing others talking and having a hard time focusing on his learning despite his intelligence.
Initially we were given a diagnosis that he is on the autistic spectrum but extraordinarily high functioning and he receives ABA services for that. It did help with his social issues but he is still having a hard time focusing in class make for noises that disturb others and I having a hard time regulating his behavior such as talking in class etc.
I understand that many of these are adHD type of behaviors and the school believes he would greatly benefit from being put on meds. I'm scared. What does that mean for him in the long run? Does he need to take them forever? How is this going to affect him? Of course I don't want him to lose out in the long run and not be the best he can be because I didn't give him all the resources he needs but I am wary of putting him on meds maybe because of social stigma maybe because of his own confidence levels… It's probably a direction we will have to go but I'm interested in your input ...
Thank you

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 1:21 pm
You should consult with the best psychiatrist you can find. Maybe the BCBA he has worked with can help with that. Once a smart, experienced and wise psychiatrist has hear your situation, they can tell you specifically about choices.

But a few questions you asked have clear answers.

Does he need to take them forever? No.
Attention meds do not have to be lifelong. They can be removed if no longer necessary, and some kids do outgrow them.

Will putting him on meds cause a social stigma? Not really.

He'll have more of a stigma if his behavior continues to be unusual than if he takes meds and is able to focus and get clearer about classroom social cues. Many long acting stimulant meds can be taken at home, and nobody in school will see or know.

Get a consult. Get the facts. Make some trials. You can always decide it's not for him afterwards.

Recognize that at all times, you have the power to say what's effective, and to take care of his best interests.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 4:17 pm
imasinger wrote:
You should consult with the best psychiatrist you can find. Maybe the BCBA he has worked with can help with that. Once a smart, experienced and wise psychiatrist has hear your situation, they can tell you specifically about choices.

But a few questions you asked have clear answers.

Does he need to take them forever? No.
Attention meds do not have to be lifelong. They can be removed if no longer necessary, and some kids do outgrow them.

Will putting him on meds cause a social stigma? Not really.

He'll have more of a stigma if his behavior continues to be unusual than if he takes meds and is able to focus and get clearer about classroom social cues. Many long acting stimulant meds can be taken at home, and nobody in school will see or know.

Get a consult. Get the facts. Make some trials. You can always decide it's not for him afterwards.

Recognize that at all times, you have the power to say what's effective, and to take care of his best interests.

Thank you! I have no one to talk to irl. You've been so helpful...

Can you or anyone recommend someone good in the Lakewood area

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 4:30 pm
I've had a very good experience with Dr Rugino at children's specialized.
It takes a bit of time to find the right medication/dosage but it can be a huge help once you do.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 4:41 pm
Bh son had great experience when seeing Dr. Parikh in Westchester.

Bh saw a drastic change when meds kicked in

For me is was more of a stigma when he acted up in school, between family or at any given time

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you! I have no one to talk to irl. You've been so helpful...

Can you or anyone recommend someone good in the Lakewood area

My DD is a BCBA in Lakewood, she says she generally refers to Manhattan, Brooklyn, or the CHOPP autism team (it's good to talk to someone who understands both HFA and ADHD).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)