Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Very picky 14 yo dd dinner ideas please.
Previous  1  2  3

Sebastian

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 7:06 pm
amother, you can make something your dd will eat. btw I have a recipe for a no kneed pizza dough. You mix it up the night before and it's ready the next day. Pizza is one of my easiest dinners.

if she wants a cookbook meal, she has to make it. 14 is old enough

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 8:41 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Look, its your responsibility, as a parent, to offer your kids edible food.

Edible includes leftovers.

Edible includes simple meals.

If your 14 year old isn't satisfied with what you can provide, then its not "taking away her childhood" by asking her to help prepare what she wants.

Eg, Monday night in our house is planned leftovers. If DD doesn't want that, then she can prepare something else for the family.

Wednesday is something with ground beef. Meatloaf. Tacos. Peccadillo. Meatballs. Whatever. If DD doesn't like any of those, she's welcome to use that meat to make something else for the family.

Her choice.

And maybe, when you have time, you can make something that she chooses.

I see that you are very organized and your children are in line with you. Can you please share your meals for two weeks or so

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 16 2018, 10:37 pm
I think other people addressed the parenting part of this, here are some dinner ideas ( things I make regularly) that are not too complicated but are nice:

Spinach lasagna - serve with vegetable soup
Spinach quiche- serve with Israeli soup and roasted sweet potatoes
Teriyaki salmon, brown rice and roasted broccoli
Schwarma, pita ( buy), Israeli salad, pickles, tehina and beets or carrots
Meatballs, rice, green beans
Lentils with brown rice and cheddar cheese, kale salad
Shakshuka with pita and Israeli salad and smoothies
Breakfast burritos - eggs in tortilla with avacado, salsa, cheddar, beans and eggs
Branzino or sole with butter, lemon and garlic, baked potatoes and brocollini
Mushroom bok Choy tofu stir fry with brown rice
Homemade veggie pizza with salad or soup
Veggie chili with sour cream and corn bread
Mac and cheese, steamed brocolli, and butternut squash soup
Turkey burgers with pineapple, roasted zucchini
Beef hamburgers, zoodle salad with cherry tomatoes

Hope this helps

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 2:01 pm
Sebastian wrote:
amother, you can make something your dd will eat. btw I have a recipe for a no kneed pizza dough. You mix it up the night before and it's ready the next day. Pizza is one of my easiest dinners.

if she wants a cookbook meal, she has to make it. 14 is old enough

Can you please post the recipe? I bought frozen pizza crusts but dd wants homemade dough...

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:29 pm
tichellady wrote:
I think other people addressed the parenting part of this, here are some dinner ideas ( things I make regularly) that are not too complicated but are nice:

Spinach lasagna - serve with vegetable soup
Spinach quiche- serve with Israeli soup and roasted sweet potatoes
Teriyaki salmon, brown rice and roasted broccoli
Schwarma, pita ( buy), Israeli salad, pickles, tehina and beets or carrots
Meatballs, rice, green beans
Lentils with brown rice and cheddar cheese, kale salad
Shakshuka with pita and Israeli salad and smoothies
Breakfast burritos - eggs in tortilla with avacado, salsa, cheddar, beans and eggs
Branzino or sole with butter, lemon and garlic, baked potatoes and brocollini
Mushroom bok Choy tofu stir fry with brown rice
Homemade veggie pizza with salad or soup
Veggie chili with sour cream and corn bread
Mac and cheese, steamed brocolli, and butternut squash soup
Turkey burgers with pineapple, roasted zucchini
Beef hamburgers, zoodle salad with cherry tomatoes

Hope this helps

Thank you!!!!!
I will look for the recipes online

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
Can you please post the recipe? I bought frozen pizza crusts but dd wants homemade dough...

Ok I’m sorry. Your daughter is being quite the diva dictator. Why are you letting her manipulate you like this?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:31 pm
Thanks everyone

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
Ok I’m sorry. Your daughter is being quite the diva dictator. Why are you letting her manipulate you like this?

Idk what to do. She just won’t eat it.

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:

Dammit
She will when she’s hungry

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 3:42 pm
sequoia wrote:
Dammit
She will when she’s hungry

She knows I’m worried about her weight.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:

Correct. Because she’s manipulating you.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:

https://www.seriouseats.com/re......html

Please tell your dd that SHE has to make the dough if she wants it homemade. It's 4 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to mix up. There's no reason why she can't do it.

If she takes responsibility for her meals, it may help with her pickiness.

ckk

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 8:21 pm
[quote="amother"]She knows I’m worried about her weight.[/qouote]

Which is why she feels she has the power to manipulate

teachkids

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 9:30 pm
Basic idea here:
You offer basic dinner AND provide the ingredients and training to allow HER to make her fancy food.
If she keeps refusing to eat, it may be worth investigating if this is some sort of eating disorder.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
She bakes but rarely. She is not exited about cooking. I don’t blame her it’s a boring manual job. She is very friendly smart and creative and prefer doing other stuff....

I can’t .
I just can’t.
You sound like my MIL
And she destroyed my DH, destroyed. It’s impossible to have normal relationships as an adult with such upbringing.
This can really ruin her character in a way that’s nearly impossible to be undone.
Your priority as a parent is to raise her with character,
Considerate, kind, empathetic.
She is very entitled to mark up a cook book of fancy meals that you can prepare fresh every night!
You are enabling this behavior,
You don’t want to “ ruin her childhood” by having her cook,
This needs to stop.
I’d get guidance IRL about how to undo this , but I would certainly change my focus from what will she eat to what will she expect and feel entitled to.
Entitlement is the issue don’t turn a blind eye to it!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 10:31 pm
My teenage son is a real foodie. He expects gourmet dinners every night. He comes home hungry after a long day and wants something good. Last year when he came home at 6:00 I let him go through cookbooks and chose what he liked. Then he made a grocery list and got those ingredients for the following night. The following night he made supper for the family. He got compliments and felt good about himself. If your child demands certain suppers then she should be involved.
Another thing, I make good stuff that is extremely easy to prepare. For example, I had leftover brisket from yom tov. So one night I made pulled beef tacos and another night was pulled beef pizza( with prebaked dough). They were both a huge hit and barely took time to prepare. You can do a salad bar with baguette and dressings and ask her to cut the vegatables once she is done unwinding. I am always looking for very easy to prepare dishes yet a drop different.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 10:49 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
My 9 year old is like this - he is very picky about texture/temperature in addition to flavors.

His bagels must have that fresh-from-the-toaster warmth and crispness, with cold cream cheese to contrast the hot bagel.
He only eats pasta steaming hot straight from the strainer - if it cooled to room temperature, microwaving it is NOT okay.
A yogurt in his lunchbox, even with a cold pack, will never be cold enough.
The few fruits he deems edible when freshly cut become “yucky” if not fridge-cold and umbrowned.
Popcorn becomes inedible at room temperature, and so much is wasted when he makes it in the microwave for himself.
He demands that the milk be put back in the fridge between his bowls of cereal so it stays cold, even when other people are at the table and serving themselves too.
If I forgot to put the challah on the blech on Shabbos, well, that’s everything he was going to eat and now he won’t eat that either.

Etc.

It makes me ragey and I have to remind myself constantly not to get emotionally invested.

For so many weeks his lunch came home untouched that I started only giving him pretzels or saltines or rice cakes, which he eats 1/4-1/3 of the time. Usually he just doesn’t eat at school and comes home hangry.

I hope and pray he grows out of this SOON, I’m going insane

Burlywood here, (just posted about shifting focus to stop entitled attitude)
I’d like to add more to convey my POV to the OP.
I identified with bigsis144’s child,
There are certain textures and temperatures that I dislike so much that I would rather not eat. Just like her child :
I can’t eat yogurt left out even with icepack
cream cheese/ cheese has to be fridge cold
Milk fridge cold
Challah has to be hot
Or I pass on the above.

But here’s the thing OP needs to think about,
I never expected my mother to make me a specific dish,
In fact It never crossed my mind or hers that she needs to consult with me. Or that she needs to change it up for me because “I can’t eat the same thing all the time”
Sometimes she wouldn’t cook and I’d make a sandwich.
By age 14 I’d often cook dinner for the family.
There was no sense that she owes me anything,
Anything she did was appreciated.

I’m saying this to show you I under it could be she’s sensitive to all kinds of textures, tastes and temperatures in her food,
But she must be sensitive to you and your needs as well. As was said, you OP are not a restaurant.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 10:54 pm
I agree. But she needs to have a healthy dinner at night. And not every night the same dinner. If I make something special she will eat it two days in a row.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics