Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Laptop I can try and return after about one month?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:10 pm
Can I buy and try out a laptop for one month, and then return it, anywhere else besides Costco?

No, I dont do this to take advantage of the companies.

Ive kept 99% of the computers Ive bought.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
Can I buy and try out a laptop for up to 90 days and then return it, anywhere else besides Costco?

Why would you need 90 days to see if a laptop meets your needs?

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe she needs a laptop for 3 months to use.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:

Ive bought laptops in Costco for this reason alone. I can return if Im unhappy. But I didnt return any, because I was happy. I was wondering if any other places have this offer.

I dont need to keep it for 90 days to see if I like it, I need one week to feel it out, but I think most stores wont let you return, even one week later.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:29 pm
A Google search says that Best Buy will give you 15 days.

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:43 pm
Staples similarly has a 14-day laptop return policy. You may be able to find someplace that will give you 30 days, but 90 days is not typical.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 11:48 pm
I bought my laptop on Amazon.com, haven't needed to return it but before buying I had the customer service rep reassure me in as many languages as possible that their 1-year return policy includes any reason including "didn't love it."

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:11 am
seeker wrote:
I bought my laptop on Amazon.com, haven't needed to return it but before buying I had the customer service rep reassure me in as many languages as possible that their 1-year return policy includes any reason including "didn't love it."

Wow! Whats the Amazon official return policy for Laptops? Because if they didnt give it to you in writing I doubt you would have been able to return it months later.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:18 am
It was months ago, I believe it was on their website but I talked to CS as well because I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 10:20 am
seeker wrote:

Hmm, that's news to me. Most new laptops come with a 1-year warranty in case it breaks, but as far as returning it, the Amazon web page says you have 30 days to return a new laptop, not 1 year, and even that's only if it arrives damaged or doesn't power on. They add that they may test the return and if they find that it really does work, they will charge a 15% restocking fee. Info here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help.....15721

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 11:10 am
Mine was refurbished and bought from Amazon Warehouse, maybe their policy is different. Like I said, this was a while ago so I don't remember.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 11:44 am
doctorima wrote:
Hmm, that's news to me. Most new laptops come with a 1-year warranty in case it breaks, but as far as returning it, the Amazon web page says you have 30 days to return a new laptop, not 1 year, and even that's only if it arrives damaged or doesn't power on. They add that they may test the return and if they find that it really does work, they will charge a 15% restocking fee. Info here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help.....15721

Yes. Here it is, in Amazon's words (Thanks, doctorima!, now that I read this, Amazon would never be an option for me, unless they were giving the computer away):

Computers and Electronics
New desktop, laptops, or tablets (excluding Kindle E-readers and Fires) purchased from Amazon.com that didn't start when they arrived, arrived in damaged condition, or is still in an unopened box can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
Amazon.com may test computers that are returned because they didn't start when they arrived and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product.
Any returned desktop, laptop or tablet that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering may result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product.
New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 12:58 pm
Yes, that's why I didn't recommend Amazon to you. While their customer service is good and most items can be returned within 30 days, their laptop policies are much more stringent, and Amazon Warehouse doesn't appear to be any different in this regard, which is why I was surprised to see somebody say that they let you return them for a full refund for up to 1 year just because "you don't love it." Staples and Best Buy at least give you 2 weeks to try it out before deciding if it's for you.

perquacky

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 2:03 pm
No one else finds the OP's question suspicious? Trying out a laptop for 90 days and then returning it sounds like she needs a computer for 3 months and has no intention of keeping it. Kinda like buying a dress to wear to a party, not cutting off the tags, and then returning it. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt, so I hope I'm very wrong.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 3:13 pm
perquacky wrote:
No one else finds the OP's question suspicious? Trying out a laptop for 90 days and then returning it sounds like she needs a computer for 3 months and has no intention of keeping it. Kinda like buying a dress to wear to a party, not cutting off the tags, and then returning it. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt, so I hope I'm very wrong.

I had the same reaction, kind of like people in the Catskills who "try out" an A/C unit from Walmart for 2-3 months and then decide they don't like it and want to return it. I agree that every laptop is different and it's reasonable to be able to try it out to see if you like it, but the 2 weeks given by Staples and Best Buy is more than adequate for that purpose.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:04 am
OP here. I ended up repairing the computer I wanted to replace when I started this thread, but now its time for a purchase.

Which places let you try a computer for about a month, to see if you like it, and if it has issues?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:34 pm
bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics