Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Too much wasted time, help to limit

Lizajen

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 7:06 am
I realize that I'm on my smartphone way too much, and as I'm so overwhelmed with so much that's not getting done, I could really use some help. The following are the areas I'm on my phone: texts, checking friends whatsapp status pictures, weather, checking voicemail, checking my bank accounts info, checking my 3 email accounts( 1 is for work, but rarely receive emails on that one), dans deals, kollel budget, metziahs, yeshiva world news, vos is Neis, imamother( esp after I post), sister to sister, listening to shiurim, checking my credit card purchases..
Any constructive ways to limit the above? I've tried: only allowing myself to check texts once an hour, emails once every morning, internet websites once in the morning, but then stay on for an hour and a half!!! What's reasonable, for someone who has sooo much IRL responsibilities on her plate?! Thanx so much!!!

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 7:59 am
Do you have an iPhone? If you do, check out the new options regarding setting limits.

Lizajen

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 8:52 am
Thanx, I'll check it out.. I think I would be fine even setting my own limits, just can't figure out what is reasonsble. I.e.: how often to check emails, texts, voicemails without missing out on time sensitive stuff.. how often to check sites for good bargains, news, imamother, finance tracking , etc..

Queen6

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 9:41 am
GET RID OF IT. Switch to a flip phone. Clearly you aren’t using it for anything useful so get rid of it. If you need internet in your house get a computer.
Get rid of it ....

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 9:46 am
I hear you. This is what I do. Have a list of things you need to do.

Do one thing on your list, and then decide how long you will be on the phone as a reward for getting it done.

Then do the next thing on the list, reward yourself, rinse, repeat.

You'll get more done in a day than you'll realize, and you won't feel limited with your phone time.

Sometimes I have to get stern with myself. If I notice that I'm getting too sucked in, I tell myself "Get up and do something you've been putting off, NOW." Then I'll do both meat and dairy dishes, put in a load of laundry, and take out the trash. For that, I get a half hour show on Netflix or YouTube.

I find this works a lot better than trying to cut myself off from media all together. By using it as incentive to get things done, it works really well.

jmom1

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 10:29 am
I put my phone on airplane mode! Works like a charm!
Or leave it in my room plugged in and only check once in a while if an important text or call came thru
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics